Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Pro
    Points: 73,171, Level: 84
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,679
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    brokenloginagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,019
    Points
    73,171
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 0

    The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    So we all get the TV/football implications of mega conferences, but here's what is so ironic to me.

    CU - struggling football, struggling Athletic department, a bball team with horrible attendance and no tradition, a tv market (denver) dominated by pro sports, and the only BCS program to have scholly reductions due to APR in both football and bball. Naturally, they're "coveted" by the Pac10.

    NU - despite its storied football tradition and attendance, they have lousy recent football performance, average academics, a small population state that is a non factor for tv contracts, and the only BCS bball team to never win an ncaa tourney game. Naturally, they're the first to go to the b10.

    makes perfect sense.



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 34,586, Level: 57
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 864
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    BKLYNCyclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Twin Cities, MN
    Posts
    1,874
    Points
    34,586
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 50

    Re: The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    and the only BCS bball team to never win an ncaa tourney game. Naturally, they're the first to go to the b10.

    makes perfect sense.
    It's perfect. The Big Whatever now has TWO teams who have never won an NCAA tournament game. (Northwestern has never even made the tournament)



  3. #3
    Speechless
    Points: 188,930, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    kingcy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Menlo, Iowa
    Posts
    17,637
    Points
    188,930
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 210
    Given: 137

    Re: The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    Good post. Nebraska is a national name and will bring viewers to the BTN. I have no idea what CU brings to the PAC.


    The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,406, Level: 61
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 944
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    4,108
    Points
    39,406
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 23

    Re: The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Good post. Nebraska is a national name and will bring viewers to the BTN. I have no idea what CU brings to the PAC.
    denver market even though no one cares



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 97,631, Level: 97
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,419
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,153
    Points
    97,631
    Level
    97
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 212
    Given: 508

    Re: The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    So we all get the TV/football implications of mega conferences, but here's what is so ironic to me.

    CU - struggling football, struggling Athletic department, a bball team with horrible attendance and no tradition, a tv market (denver) dominated by pro sports, and the only BCS program to have scholly reductions due to APR in both football and bball. Naturally, they're "coveted" by the Pac10.

    NU - despite its storied football tradition and attendance, they have lousy recent football performance, average academics, a small population state that is a non factor for tv contracts, and the only BCS bball team to never win an ncaa tourney game. Naturally, they're the first to go to the b10.

    makes perfect sense.
    I thought of some of those things myself.

    I still think NU's overall FB tradition is still a selling point for the B-Ten.

    The thing that annoys me in all this is: when it comes to arguments for or against a specific school's invitation to Conference X or Y, the rules can change at the drop of a hat.

    "It's all about TV sets." But if that seems like only a minor plus, then it's "all about football." If recent success has waned, then it's "all about the football tradition." Basketball doesn't matter — unless it does. Or it's about geographic fit (which doesn't stop rumors about Big Ten seeking Texas). If the school isn't all that competitive in the major sports, then it's about academics.

    I realize all of those things are a factor. But they can't all be interchangeably the Most Important.


    Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire

  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 17,204, Level: 39
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    712
    Points
    17,204
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 40

    Re: The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    I thought of some of those things myself.

    I still think NU's overall FB tradition is still a selling point for the B-Ten.

    The thing that annoys me in all this is: when it comes to arguments for or against a specific school's invitation to Conference X or Y, the rules can change at the drop of a hat.

    "It's all about TV sets." But if that seems like only a minor plus, then it's "all about football." If recent success has waned, then it's "all about the football tradition." Basketball doesn't matter — unless it does. Or it's about geographic fit (which doesn't stop rumors about Big Ten seeking Texas). If the school isn't all that competitive in the major sports, then it's about academics.

    I realize all of those things are a factor. But they can't all be interchangeably the Most Important.
    Chuck Grassley's right it's time to remove the tax credits that have fueled this arms race for "non profit" athletics. **** poor use of resources.



  7. #7
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 11,818, Level: 32
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sloan, Iowa
    Posts
    310
    Points
    11,818
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 14

    Re: The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    Quote Originally Posted by brokenloginagain View Post
    So we all get the TV/football implications of mega conferences, but here's what is so ironic to me.

    CU - struggling football, struggling Athletic department, a bball team with horrible attendance and no tradition, a tv market (denver) dominated by pro sports, and the only BCS program to have scholly reductions due to APR in both football and bball. Naturally, they're "coveted" by the Pac10.

    NU - despite its storied football tradition and attendance, they have lousy recent football performance, average academics, a small population state that is a non factor for tv contracts, and the only BCS bball team to never win an ncaa tourney game. Naturally, they're the first to go to the b10.

    makes perfect sense.
    But wait.. Some blowhard sports authority on 590 Am in Omaha this morning went off about the academics. He said that ISU and KSU were academic podunks that couldnt compete and that Iowa was tied for the lowest ranked institution in the Big Ten at 29th overall.. and that will markedly help improve NU's status. Damn this ticks me off on so many levels. ISU, KSU, KU, Baylor, and yes, even Mizzou are left now hunkering in the basement as the tornado or realignment clears things out. I only hope that somehow there is something left standing when the storm passes. (yes, it is ironic for a Cyclone to hunker down from a tornado, but the metaphor works in my mind...) The NCAA is a joke when they talk about what is good for the student athlete.. it is ALL about money. and All about politics, student athlete and education be damned..



  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 281,513, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    14,033
    Points
    281,513
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,124
    Given: 2,217

    Re: The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Good post. Nebraska is a national name and will bring viewers to the BTN. I have no idea what CU brings to the PAC.
    CU's culture* is an excellent fit.

    *hippie


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Re: The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    CU is a bandwagon team. There isn't a lot of loyalty. However, if they can turn the corner and have a good football team, the Denverites will suddently join the bandwagon.


    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

  10. #10
    Walk On
    Points: 6,541, Level: 23
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    nye4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Johnston,IA
    Posts
    158
    Points
    6,541
    Level
    23
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    CU is a bandwagon team. There isn't a lot of loyalty. However, if they can turn the corner and have a good football team, the Denverites will suddently join the bandwagon.
    kinda like IOWA fans... hahahahahaha



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 51,035, Level: 69
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Broodwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    42.186391, -93.598597
    Posts
    2,044
    Points
    51,035
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    Colorado has fancied itself as California for years. This seems to be a perfect fit.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 152,689, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    temperflare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Bondurant
    Posts
    7,572
    Points
    152,689
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 290
    Given: 89

    Re: The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    Colorado has fancied itself as California for years. This seems to be a perfect fit.
    In terms of politics... good call. They belong on the left coast.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 51,035, Level: 69
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Broodwich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    42.186391, -93.598597
    Posts
    2,044
    Points
    51,035
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    Quote Originally Posted by temperflare View Post
    In terms of politics... good call. They belong on the left coast.
    In terms of everything. I was raised in Colorado. Boulder specifically.

    It is much, much different now than when I lived there, and I would be confident in saying that most of the people "culturally" have more in common with California than Texas, or Iowa for that matter.

    Now instead of denigrating themselves by associating with bib-overall wearing farmhands, they've found kindred spirits who understand that saving the planet starts with a Luxury Hybrid SUV. They've finally found a home with people that appreciate the subtle differences between the powder at Whistler over A-Basin, bro.

    I can already see the eco-sustainable tobiko rolls being served in that stinky nasty old field house attached to the west side of Folsom.



  14. #14
    All-Star
    Points: 14,607, Level: 36
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    MilehighClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,064
    Points
    14,607
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

    Re: The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    I think in the long run both schools will regret the move. If we look at football, the only program in the Pac-10 that CU has an advantage over currently is Wazzou. Nebraska moves to a conference that you could argue has 5-6 superior programs as opposed to almost always being a contender for the Big-12 north title. Perhaps the extra $$ will make a difference but I doubt it.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 560,575, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,447
    Points
    560,575
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 275
    Given: 139

    Re: The irony of CU and NU being the first dominoes...

    Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Good post. Nebraska is a national name and will bring viewers to the BTN. I have no idea what CU brings to the PAC.
    A furry punching bag in all sports.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM