Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 18,292, Level: 41
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    887
    Points
    18,292
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

    4 Mega Conferences

    Now that the Pac 10 has created the model for future conferences- 16 teams. I've heard some members of the national media speculate does this set the stage for 4 mega conferences with 16 members each.

    Does this set the stage for logical expansion? Conferences with strong geographic focus vs. the model when the Big 10 originally got this ball rolling - basically a money grab. If the Big 10 were to go after schools like ND, Texas, Maryland, Rutgers, etc.


    Here is a structure for four 16 team conferences that makes a lot of sense to me. The highlights of what I propose are:
    • In keeping with Big 10 tradition. It wouldn't be a 16 team conference, but 17 teams. An even number teams is ideal, but the Big 10 has shown having an odd number is workable.
    • Miami & FSU would move from the ACC to the SEC.
    • The ACC would expand up the East coast.
    • This might not be the perfect money grab that was originally speculated for the Big 10. Schools like ISU, KU & KSU won't increase the Big 10's current payout of $22M annually/school. However, I think the addition of ND, and a 16 team football playoff system, the payout/school would go up.
    • I think for the below to happen, the NCAA and maybe political entities might have to step in to create an athletics landscape where there are limited losers. The only team left out of my proposal is Baylor. Like my proposal of having a 17 team Big 10, maybe there should be a 17 team Pac 10. The Big 12 South teams could make this happen if they want it. Otherwise, Baylor might make sense as the 10th team in the MWC.
    ACC
    Clemson
    Boston College
    Wake Forest
    North Carolina State
    Maryland
    Georgia Tech
    Virginia Tech
    North Carolina
    Duke
    Virginia
    Pittsburgh
    West Virginia
    Rutgers
    Connecticut
    Syracuse
    South Florida 3-4 8-5


    Big Ten
    Ohio State 7-1 11-2
    Iowa 6-2 11-2
    Penn State 6-2 11-2
    Northwestern 5-3 8-5
    Wisconsin 5-3 10-3
    Michigan State 4-4 6-7
    Purdue 4-4 5-7
    Minnesota 3-5 6-7
    Illinois 2-6 3-9
    Michigan 1-7 5-7
    Indiana 1-7 4
    Notre Dame
    Nebraska 6-2 10-4
    Missouri 4-4 8-5
    Kansas State 4-4 6-6
    Iowa State 3-5 7-6
    Kansas 1-7 5-7


    Pac 10
    Oregon
    Arizona
    Oregon State
    Stanford
    USC
    California
    Washington
    UCLA
    Arizona State
    Washington State
    Colorado
    Texas
    Oklahoma State
    Texas Tech
    Oklahoma
    Texas A&M
    Baylor ???


    SEC
    Florida
    Georgia
    Tennessee
    Kentucky
    South Carolina
    Vanderbilt
    Alabama
    LSU
    Mississippi
    Arkansas
    Auburn
    Mississippi State
    Louisville
    Cincinnati
    Florida State
    Miami (FL)


    Last edited by isucy86; 06-10-2010 at 11:20 AM.

  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 272,731, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,509
    Points
    272,731
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 31

    Re: 4 Mega Conferences

    K-State would get in before ISU unfortunately. Baylor may even as well.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,400, Level: 61
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    4,107
    Points
    39,400
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 22

    Re: 4 Mega Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    K-State would get in before ISU unfortunately. Baylor may even as well.
    i thought you said we were going to be fine...



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,400, Level: 61
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    4,107
    Points
    39,400
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 22

    Re: 4 Mega Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by isucy86 View Post
    Now that the Pac 10 has created the model for future conferences- 16 teams. I've heard some members of the national media speculate does this set the stage for 4 mega conferences with 16 members each.

    Does this set the stage for logical expansion? Conferences with strong geographic focus vs. the model when the Big 10 originally got this ball rolling - basically a money grab. If the Big 10 were to go after schools like ND, Texas, Maryland, Rutgers, etc.


    Here is a structure for four 16 team conferences that makes a lot of sense to me. The highlights of what I propose are:
    • In keeping with Big 10 tradition. It wouldn't be a 16 team conference, but 17 teams. An even number teams is ideal, but the Big 10 has shown having an odd number is workable.
    • Miami & FSU would move from the ACC to the SEC.
    • The ACC would expand up the East coast.
    • This might not be the perfect money grab that was originally speculated for the Big 10. Schools like ISU, KU & KSU won't increase the Big 10's current payout of $22M annually/school. However, I think the addition of ND, and a 16 team football playoff system, the payout/school would go up.
    • I think for the below to happen, the NCAA and maybe political entities might have to step in to create an athletics landscape where there are limited losers. The only team left out of my proposal is Baylor. Like my proposal of having a 17 team Big 10, maybe there should be a 17 team Pac 10. The Big 12 South teams could make this happen if they want it. Otherwise, Baylor might make sense as the 10th team in the MWC.

    ACC
    Clemson
    Boston College
    Wake Forest
    North Carolina State
    Maryland
    Georgia Tech
    Virginia Tech
    North Carolina
    Duke
    Virginia
    Pittsburgh
    West Virginia
    Rutgers
    Connecticut
    Syracuse
    South Florida 3-4 8-5


    Big Ten
    Ohio State 7-1 11-2
    Iowa 6-2 11-2
    Penn State 6-2 11-2
    Northwestern 5-3 8-5
    Wisconsin 5-3 10-3
    Michigan State 4-4 6-7
    Purdue 4-4 5-7
    Minnesota 3-5 6-7
    Illinois 2-6 3-9
    Michigan 1-7 5-7
    Indiana 1-7 4
    Notre Dame
    Nebraska 6-2 10-4
    Missouri 4-4 8-5
    Kansas State 4-4 6-6
    Iowa State 3-5 7-6
    Kansas 1-7 5-7


    Pac 10
    Oregon
    Arizona
    Oregon State
    Stanford
    USC
    California
    Washington
    UCLA
    Arizona State
    Washington State
    Colorado
    Texas
    Oklahoma State
    Texas Tech
    Oklahoma
    Texas A&M
    Baylor ???


    SEC
    Florida
    Georgia
    Tennessee
    Kentucky
    South Carolina
    Vanderbilt
    Alabama
    LSU
    Mississippi
    Arkansas
    Auburn
    Mississippi State
    Louisville
    Cincinnati
    Florida State
    Miami (FL)
    if the are 4 mega conference Iowa State will not be in one of them



  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 272,731, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isuno1fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Clive, Iowa
    Posts
    17,509
    Points
    272,731
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 159
    Given: 31

    Re: 4 Mega Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonepower View Post
    i thought you said we were going to be fine...
    Have I ever been right before? I'm bouncing all over the place on this topic...it is too fluid.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 9,743, Level: 29
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 207
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    821
    Points
    9,743
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 41

    Re: 4 Mega Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by isucy86 View Post
    In keeping with Big 10 tradition. It wouldn't be a 16 team conference, but 17 teams. An even number teams is ideal, but the Big 10 has shown having an odd number is workable.
    This brought a smile to my face.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 60,147, Level: 76
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,503
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    thatguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    DENVER
    Posts
    3,298
    Points
    60,147
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 0

    Re: 4 Mega Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonepower View Post
    i thought you said we were going to be fine...
    that dude is wrong on everything. Whatever he says, the opposite happens.


    The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 18,292, Level: 41
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 658
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    887
    Points
    18,292
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

    Re: 4 Mega Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonepower View Post
    if the are 4 mega conference Iowa State will not be in one of them
    Why wouldn't ISU be part of a 64-66 team mega conference set-up? ISU has a number of nationally ranked athletic programs in wrestling, volleyball, women's hoops. Our FB program went to a bowl game last season. The MBB program has probably the most tradition of fan support and success at a national level.

    Like I said. If the NCAA is going to sit back and let this come down to a pure money grab, then ISU will probably be left on the outside looking in. However, if the NCAA and conferenences do what is best for college athletics as a whole, then what I lay out makes a lot of sense- financially and a system where fans are best served.



  9. #9
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,078, Level: 25
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 472
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    311
    Points
    7,078
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: 4 Mega Conferences

    I don't think this will stand up legally. They will have to allow at least an at large bid from the other conferences.



  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,400, Level: 61
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    4,107
    Points
    39,400
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 22

    Re: 4 Mega Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by isucy86 View Post
    Why wouldn't ISU be part of a 64-66 team mega conference set-up? ISU has a number of nationally ranked athletic programs in wrestling, volleyball, women's hoops. Our FB program went to a bowl game last season. The MBB program has probably the most tradition of fan support and success at a national level.

    Like I said. If the NCAA is going to sit back and let this come down to a pure money grab, then ISU will probably be left on the outside looking in. However, if the NCAA and conferenences do what is best for college athletics as a whole, then what I lay out makes a lot of sense- financially and a system where fans are best served.
    well since VB,WBB, and wrestling are irrelevant nationally, Iowa State is not a name brand



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 485,761, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Al_4_State's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Driftless Region
    Posts
    19,158
    Points
    485,761
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 419
    Given: 122

    Re: 4 Mega Conferences

    No offense, but pretty much every prediction isuno1fan has ever made was dead ******* wrong. I remember him telling me 2 months ago that expansion was just a ploy to get Notre Dame.


    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

  12. #12
    Pro
    Points: 60,233, Level: 76
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,417
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    DRCHIRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    2,230
    Points
    60,233
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 2

    Re: 4 Mega Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    K-State would get in before ISU unfortunately. Baylor may even as well.
    For the last time, K State will be getting no invitation to the Big 10/16. It is a glorified junior college.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 48,569, Level: 68
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,181
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    enisthemenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Runnells, IA
    Posts
    3,558
    Points
    48,569
    Level
    68
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 122

    Re: 4 Mega Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonepower View Post
    if the are 4 mega conference Iowa State will not be in one of them
    I believe this to be the unfortunate truth. There needs to be 5 mega conferences for us to have a chance, and that wouldn't even be a guarantee.

    We are ****ed!



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 39,400, Level: 61
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    4,107
    Points
    39,400
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 22

    Re: 4 Mega Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    No offense, but pretty much every prediction isuno1fan has ever made was dead ******* wrong. I remember him telling me 2 months ago that expansion was just a ploy to get Notre Dame.
    didn't he guarantee HB to ISU as well?



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 216,512, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    27,440
    Points
    216,512
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 506
    Given: 48

    Re: 4 Mega Conferences

    Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    K-State would get in before ISU unfortunately. Baylor may even as well.
    K-State and Baylor are not in the AAU. They don't cut it academically. They won't get in the Big Ten. No Way.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBD
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 07:00 PM