Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

Decibel Levels

I was watching this clip ([ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYpwjB0IzoU]YouTube - Baron Davis slams over Andrei Kirilenko![/ame]) of Baron Davis' dunk versus the Jazz, and noticed a decibel reader that popped up in the bottom corner recording 108 decibels from the crowd reaction. It got me wondering if there's some sort of tally or record for the loudest moment during a game at Hilton or Jack Trice, and if not, maybe someone could send the suggestion on to JP to add a visual representation of the noise level at sporting events.

Go Sssssssssyclones!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

Re: Decibel Levels

One of the times I can remember watching on TV that I saw the place go bonkers was Neal's second three against the Hawks...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I've always thought that would be a good idea. I sent him an email suggesting it last year actually. As with many ideas, it was somehow "conveyed to the marketing department." Not sure if anything is happening or not.

Addict
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 460
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Fizer's dunk over Mihm was loud, actually a lot of those games that season were loud. We came out and went up 13-0 on Iowa that year before Alford called a timeout and Mike Nurse was putting his hands over his ears it was that loud.

Some of the Iowa and Nebraska FB games were probably the loudest at JT.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 418
    Given: 332

The loudest I remember from a game is in 2001 when Adam Runk got that INT to seal the game against Iowa.....the place just exploded. I had never high fived and hugged so many random cyclone fans!

@RandomGeoFacts

Walk On
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

I remember a few years ago when Brian Boddicker of Texas was shooting some free throws at the end of a game. If he would have made one, the game would have been tied. If he made both, they probably would have won, because there was only 4 seconds left or so. It was so loud, I think someone said the rim was actually shaking during the free throws.

Walk On
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Fizer over Mihm and the Iowa Game that year at Hilton were the loudest I personally ever heard. I do recall listening to a game on the radio where the Mayor and Co. were playing OSU and you could hardly hear the commentary near the end of the game.

As for Jack Trice I think the loudest I ever heard it was the 2005 lowa game when we picked off the pass and ran it back for the TD. If you go back and watch the highlights, you can barely see what is going on because the screen is shaking so much.

Speaking of which, does anyone have this on you tube or somewhere?

Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Recruit Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by spierceisu View Post
    I remember a few years ago when Brian Boddicker of Texas was shooting some free throws at the end of a game. If he would have made one, the game would have been tied. If he made both, they probably would have won, because there was only 4 seconds left or so. It was so loud, I think someone said the rim was actually shaking during the free throws.
    Jake Sullivan was the person in the post-game press conference that was saying things about the rim and floor shaking. Oh, and Boddicker was an 88% free throw shooter just to add to how loud it was to cause him to miss both.

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 138

I was about 8 rows up on the other side - I'm pretty sure that that was the loudest I have ever been in personally. I had ringing in my ears for a day after that one. Amazing win too.

Last edited by ISUKyro; 05-13-2007 at 01:00 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

that was for sure the loudest it has ever been... and maybe the loudest any place has been.. it was well worth my $40 to get arena circle seats..

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

My freshman year in 2001 (with Tinsley), we were ranked around #8 and KU came to Hilton at around #5...if I remember correctly, it was an afternoon game. I got to Hilton in the freezing cold around 7am for a 3pm game and the line was already crazy long. I ended up in the last row on the floor in front of the parquet. Some people got there 30 mins later and ended up in the balcony. People started lining up the night before and were actually starting fires on the steps of Hilton to keep warm. I believe this was one of the main reasons they decided to go to the voucher system the next year.

That was one of the loudest games I remember. And I agree with the Texas game (the only time I ever remember rushing the floor) and the Iowa game with Jon Neal hitting those 3s.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I wasn't there, but my parents said the loudest it could possibly get was in
    '83 I believe. We were playing Oklahoma State, and they were ranked top 5. It all came down to two free throws for OSU and he missed them both. After the game the guy said he has never heard a crowd that loud and that the floor was literally shaking.

Was anyone at that game?

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This is going back a wee bit, but when Iowa was in hilton in '95, ISU was hanging tough with the hawks and late in the game I think Jacy came up w/ a loose ball, got it to Willougbhy, and he buried a trey, my buddies and I were in the 5th row behind the east basket, I seriously felt like the explosion of sound when the ball swished made me float a little bit and the hilton ceiling would come off. '95 vs. KU when Freddie went off on the jhawks was pretty boisterous as well.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If you're referring to the '92 game vs. OSU when they were #2, that was my choice for the loudest game (I've been to). The floor definitely was vibrating under the players' feet and the place went nuts after he missed the FTs. I remember Freddy playing - not sure which year he was though...

Quote Originally Posted by ISUonthemove View Post
    I wasn't there, but my parents said the loudest it could possibly get was in
    '83 I believe. We were playing Oklahoma State, and they were ranked top 5. It all came down to two free throws for OSU and he missed them both. After the game the guy said he has never heard a crowd that loud and that the floor was literally shaking.

Was anyone at that game?

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 953
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 85

I'm with Nedrick on this one. The '92 OSU game is the loudest I've ever heard Hilton and I've been to every game mentioned so far in this thread. The Texas game was also unbelievably loud.