Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

Oklahoma and the Big 12

Why is Oklahoma riding the coattails of their hated rival Texas? (other than the obvious money).

David Boren and Joe Castiglione have stated they wanted the Big 12 to survive.

They could remain in the Big 12, along with Okie State, Kansas, K-State, Iowa State and Missouri and retain the automatic BCS bid with 6 schools. This would also keep 5 of the 6 original Big 6 institutions intact as a unit.

This group could then add any number of other schools (BYU, UTAH, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc).

Bottom line is OU could be the big fish in the Big 12.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: Oklahoma and the Big 12

$$$$$

No Texas = no tv revenue. And none of the teams you've mentioned, even in whole, come close to matching what Texas brings to the vault.

Seems like they're strange bed-fellows. Really they're not.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 747
    Given: 521

Quote Originally Posted by IzzoClone View Post
    Why is Oklahoma riding the coattails of their hated rival Texas? (other than the obvious money).

David Boren and Joe Castiglione have stated they wanted the Big 12 to survive.

They could remain in the Big 12, along with Okie State, Kansas, K-State, Iowa State and Missouri and retain the automatic BCS bid with 6 schools. This would also keep 5 of the 6 original Big 6 institutions intact as a unit.

This group could then add any number of other schools (BYU, UTAH, Louisville, Cincinnati, etc).

Bottom line is OU could be the big fish in the Big 12.
    End thread...

Honestly, if OU wanted to be the big dog, separation from a school that has basically used them for 15 years to get what they want (even though they have been a beneficiary), and be the leaders that form a conference that at least has some baby teeth, they could do it. The problem is I fear that $$$ will prevent them from doing this.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 109

I'm also a bit baffled at OU playing second-fiddle to Texas. I suppose money talks but in your scenario they could really play "savior" to the Big XII and come out looking like a million bucks. Keep these teams together, bring in 5/6 more teams as needed (BYU/Utah/Cincinnati foremost), and get a monster contract with Fox (the national version) for a Saturday night game each week.

"It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 356
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

In a scenario where OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, & MU stand together and the remaining 6 leave, that's $90M to split between 6.

I would venture to guess that by picking up BYU, Utah, TCU, Louisville, Cincy, and if either CU or even Neb. stay put, you could get a decent TV contract even without Texas.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Come on folks.

ISU, KSU, KU, MIzzou, OU, OSU and then say BYU, Utah, BSU, Cinci and just for kicks Louisiville or Memphis. Take your pick.

Who's paying for a tv contract for that? Nobody. That's a miserable lineup with about 10 tv sets watching. Sucks to admit, but UT is the draw. NU might be second (as nutty as their fans are).

If what you guys are saying is true - why did we bother bringing the old SWC into the Big 8 to begin with?

That's why OU has hitched the Boomer wagon to UT. Not sure we hear them EVER crying about getting screwed over by the Big XII or UT.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 06-10-2010 at 10:15 AM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by delt4cy View Post
    In a scenario where OU, OSU, KU, KSU, ISU, & MU stand together and the remaining 6 leave, that's $90M to split between 6.

I would venture to guess that by picking up BYU, Utah, TCU, Louisville, Cincy, and if either CU or even Neb. stay put, you could get a decent TV contract even without Texas.
    With the exception of ISU getting a secret invite to the Big 10, this could be the best case scenario for us.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Come on folks.

ISU, KSU, KU, MIzzou, OU, OSU and then say BYU, Utah, BSU, Cinci and just for kicks Louisiville or Memphis. Take your pick.

Who's paying for a tv contract for that? Nobody.

If what you guys are saying is true - why did we bother bringing the old SWC into the Big 8 to begin with?
    Because we got greedy 15 years ago - much like the members of the Big 10 and Pac 10 are today. Our problem is it came back and bit us in the ***.

Pro
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 117
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 129

Come on folks.

Who's paying for a tv contract for that? Nobody. That's a miserable lineup with about 10 tv sets watching.

That's why OU has hitched the Boomer wagon to UT. Not sure we hear them EVER crying about getting screwed over by the Big XII or UT.
    But one of those TVs would be Steve Young's!

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Because we got greedy 15 years ago - much like the members of the Big 10 and Pac 10 are today. Our problem is it came back and bit us in the ***.
    True, and that greed hasn't subsided. Certainly not from those who could potentially profit even more. (OU)

Walk On
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Integrity would have to come into play here.

Unfortunately Integrity has nothing to do with what is now happening in CFB.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Integrity would have to come into play here.

Unfortunately Integrity has nothing to do with what is now happening in CFB.

Now you got it.

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 207
    Given: 125

Because it has served them pretty well???

4 BCS championship game appearances (the most of any team) to UT's 2...

7 overall BCS appearances (tied for second most) to UT's 4...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Pro
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 624
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 87
    Given: 109

Come on folks.

Who's paying for a tv contract for that? Nobody. That's a miserable lineup with about 10 tv sets watching. Sucks to admit, but UT is the draw. NU might be second (as nutty as their fans are).

I don't completely disagree with your assessment but college football has become an entity that is watched no matter who is playing. I'm too lazy to look up official numbers but games played on national networks during primetime are going to get ratings no matter what teams are playing (teams in BCS-type conferences at least, which is what this theoretical group would be).

The above grouping would have the Des Moines/Omaha, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, & Memphis/Louisville markets....not the worst possible lineup imaginable.

"It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by wonkadog View Post
    I don't completely disagree with your assessment but college football has become an entity that is watched no matter who is playing. I'm too lazy to look up official numbers but games played on national networks during primetime are going to get ratings no matter what teams are playing (teams in BCS-type conferences at least, which is what this theoretical group would be).

The above grouping would have the Des Moines/Omaha, Salt Lake City, Oklahoma City, St. Louis, Kansas City, Cincinnati, & Memphis/Louisville markets....not the worst possible lineup imaginable.
    Ok - you're right. Not the worst.

But I think the talking heads have been pointing out the contract in place with ESPN and the ACC? Who signed the SEC? Fox is likely to nab the PAC1x.

Who's left and with what money? There will be tv. But how much money? I can't believe it's in the same league as the 4 mega's.