Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 197

Question for the multimedia experts regarding AVI files

I've had no success with the following problem, so perhaps there might be a Cyclonefanatic expert that can help...

I have a MyHD MDP-130 HDTV card. Although primarily a card for digital media, the card also has analog capture capabilities, which unfortunately, are not well supported by the manufacturer. In reading various forums, some people have success with the analog capture functions, others, like me, don't.

For those of us that don't have success, a common problem is as follows. Let's say I capture about 30 seconds of analog video. The MyHD software writes uncompressed video (either 16 bits/pixel or 24 bits/pixel) to an AVI file along with uncompressed PCM sound. When I check the properties of the AVI file (using various utilities like AVIcodec and Windows properties), the duration of the clip is reported as 1 minute. All the other data about the capture seems to be correct.

When playing the AVI file in various players, the sound plays at normal speed, but the video plays back at about half speed. When the audio is finished, the AVI file simply stops playing. The player identifies the clip as 1 minute long, but just stops playing at the 30 second point.

I'm running WinXP. Others running XP have no problems, and others running XP have the problem listed above. We all seem to be running the same MyHD software, so this problem is very strange.

Is there anybody out there who has insight into AVI files, and how the duration might be getting doubled?

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Prospect
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 25
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Question for the multimedia experts regarding AVI files

I am by no means an 'expert', but I have had a similar problem in the past where my software and my camera had two different frames per second settings. Make sure that the software you are importing the video into has the same settings...normally 29.97 or 30 frames per second. If that isnt the problem, hopefully someone else can help.

If Cyclone Fanatic was a drug…consider me a junkie.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 313
    Given: 197

Another thought...might this be a progressive vs. interlaced issue? A file with interlaced video would have twice as many frames???

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The above comment about making sure its 30 fps is a good suggestion. One other thing to try, there are programs out there that do video manipulation to convert from one media type to another. Sometimes just reading it in, then saving it back out can fix up the stream if there is something not quite right with it.

I haven't used this in a long time but I think the proggie is called FDDShow or something like that. Its a linux prog but runs via cmd line in windows (at least thats what I recall). Do a google on it. Good luck.