Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 18

Theoretical New Big 12

So this morning I was trying to think of this a different way. Instead of teams joining the Mountain West, what about the Big 12 just expanding and replacing. Now, I am assuming Texas, ATM, Okla, OSU, TT, and Colorado are going. Here is a list of teams I cam up with that may or may not be realistic:

Iowa State
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Baylor (or Colorado depending on who goes to Pac 10)
    Cincinnati
    Louisville
    TCU
    BYU
    Utah
    Boise St
    Memphis
    Houston

Also, it is becoming less and less likely that Mizzou is actually going to be in the Big 10 so I could have added them back in. Now for this to happen the Big 10 would have to take 1 or 2 Big East teams (Rutgers & Pitt) otherwise I don't think Cincy or Louisville would want to leave.

What would everyoene think of a conference make up like this?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 360
    Given: 107

Re: Theoretical New Big 12

Someone had a link to a Big East board yesterday, and their fans seemed to LOVE the idea of KU, KSU, and ISU joining the Big East, or them joining the Big 12, w/some MWC teams as well.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 544
    Given: 377

Depressing...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I did a little more research since this is all about money & tv markets. Under the above senario the Big 12 would have the follow markets:

Dallas-Ft Worth (TCU) #5
    Houston #10
    Salt Lake City (Utah / BYU) #31
    Kansas City (KU / KSU) #32
    Cincinnati #33
    Louisville #49
    Memphis #50
    Des Moines #72

You could also change some teams and throw in UNLV for the Las Vegas market #42 and same with New Mexico - Albequerque #44

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 19
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

We'd be lucky to get that conference. We won't though.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 544
    Given: 377

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneJames View Post
    I did a little more research since this is all about money & tv markets. Under the above senario the Big 12 would have the follow markets:

Dallas-Ft Worth (TCU) #5
    Houston #10
    Salt Lake City (Utah / BYU) #31
    Kansas City (KU / KSU) #32
    Cincinnati #33
    Louisville #49
    Memphis #50
    Des Moines #72

You could also change some teams and throw in UNLV for the Las Vegas market #42 and same with New Mexico - Albequerque #44
    The problem with the assertion:

• Dallas-Ft Worth (TCU) #5 - Doesn't care about TCU, they care about Texas
    • Houston #10 - Doesn't care about Houston. If they care about college sports at all, it's Texas and A&M
    • Salt Lake City (Utah / BYU) #31 - they actually would care about their college athletics
    • Kansas City (KU / KSU) #32 - if KU, Mizzou, and ISU are packaged together, probably would care.
    • Cincinnati #33 - I can't see caring about the Bearcats
    • Louisville #49 - Those that don't care about UK I could see caring about the Cardinals
    • Memphis #50 - do they care about Memphis there?
    • Des Moines #72 - The % of those that care about ISU has always been precarious, and it's only going to be worse with Iowa being in a superconference and ISU on the outside.

It's one thing for you to cover your big cities, but there has to be an element of people in and around those cities actually CARING before you can assume any TV deal being viable. I mean, why do you think it works for the Big 10? Because people in Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus CARE about Ohio St. People in Detroit CARE about Michigan, and, to a lesser extent, Michigan St. Chicago CARES about every Big 10 team. It works because the people there care. Look, I'm not saying that ISU shouldn't band with the remnants of the Big 12 and try to form the best conference that they can out of it. But assuming that a major network is going to come running to us with a major TV deal just because we attempted to add major markets by adding Louisville, Cincinnati, TCU, and Utah is naive because while we're attempting to reach major media markets, those media markets generally don't care about those said institutions, if they don't care, they're not going to watch. If they're not going to watch, the networks can't sell advertising slots to make revenue, and if they can't make ad revenue, there's no point in broadcasting football. There's no doubt that this would be a fun basketball conference, but if this conference realignment gave one iota of caring about basketball, Kansas wouldn't be as ****** as we are.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I would only say yes to Memphis if Mizzou left, which seems less and less likely as time passes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 21

The key is with any new conference we go to - we don't want Dan Beebe anywhere near it - period.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post

• Houston #10 - Doesn't care about Houston. If they care about college sports at all, it's Texas and A&M
    • Salt Lake City (Utah / BYU) #31 - they actually would care about their college athletics
    • Kansas City (KU / KSU) #32 - if KU, Mizzou, and ISU are packaged together, probably would care.
    • Louisville #49 - Those that don't care about UK I could see caring about the Cardinals
    • Des Moines #72 - The % of those that care about ISU has always been precarious, and it's only going to be worse with Iowa being in a superconference and ISU on the outside.

It's one thing for you to cover your big cities, but there has to be an element of people in and around those cities actually CARING before you can assume any TV deal being viable. I mean, why do you think it works for the Big 10? Because people in Cincinnati, Cleveland, and Columbus CARE about Ohio St. People in Detroit CARE about Michigan, and, to a lesser extent, Michigan St. Chicago CARES about every Big 10 team. It works because the people there care. Look, I'm not saying that ISU shouldn't band with the remnants of the Big 12 and try to form the best conference that they can out of it. But assuming that a major network is going to come running to us with a major TV deal just because we attempted to add major markets by adding Louisville, Cincinnati, TCU, and Utah is naive because while we're attempting to reach major media markets, those media markets generally don't care about those said institutions, if they don't care, they're not going to watch. If they're not going to watch, the networks can't sell advertising slots to make revenue, and if they can't make ad revenue, there's no point in broadcasting football. There's no doubt that this would be a fun basketball conference, but if this conference realignment gave one iota of caring about basketball, Kansas wouldn't be as ****** as we are.
    It seems like its gonna work for the Big Ten though. People in NYC don't care at all about Rutgers or Syracuse, but the whole reason for taking those teams is to get on all of those tvs.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post

I wasn't trying to imply that this new Big 12 could create a Big 12 Network. Clearly that would not work because it would be significantly worse than the current Big 12. I agree that the dallas and houston population care significantly more about texas and a&m. But I think enough people would care for it to be shown on tv there. Keep in mind that TCU and Houston would be elevated SIGNIFICANTLY with a move like this (which we definitely be a BCS conference).

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 461
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 6

Iowa State
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Cincinnati
    Louisville
    TCU
    BYU
    Utah
    Boise St
    Memphis
    Houston
    I would love this conference. I hope it happens, but it won't.

Legend
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 641
    Given: 157

Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    I would only say yes to Memphis if Mizzou left, which seems less and less likely as time passes.
    Does Memphis even have a football team? I seriously don't know.

Starter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clone9 View Post
    I would love this conference. I hope it happens, but it won't.
    Why won't it? In my opinion the only 2 reaches are Cincinnati and Louisville. And If the Big 10 starts taking Big East teams I don't think its all that much of a reach. Do I think its highly likely? Probably not, but I think its better than just joining the Mountain West.

Rookie
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 565
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    Does Memphis even have a football team? I seriously don't know.
    Does the name Deangelo Williams ring a bell?

Rookie
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 565
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

So this morning I was trying to think of this a different way. Instead of teams joining the Mountain West, what about the Big 12 just expanding and replacing. Now, I am assuming Texas, ATM, Okla, OSU, TT, and Colorado are going. Here is a list of teams I cam up with that may or may not be realistic:

Iowa State
    Kansas
    Kansas State
    Cincinnati
    Louisville
    TCU
    BYU
    Utah
    Boise St
    Memphis
    Houston

Also, it is becoming less and less likely that Mizzou is actually going to be in the Big 10 so I could have added them back in. Now for this to happen the Big 10 would have to take 1 or 2 Big East teams (Rutgers & Pitt) otherwise I don't think Cincy or Louisville would want to leave.

What would everyoene think of a conference make up like this?
    How would you divvy up the divisions?