Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 455
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

So......... what about all the other sports?

Yeah, yeah, I know football is king and that's all that matters to most people in this whole realignment ordeal. But what do you think will happen to our other smaller sports if ISU ends up becoming some tiny conference nobody? If there's anything ISU has some bragging rights over, it's our dominance in sports that the rest of the general public doesn't really care about.

As an avid fan of both, I would absolutely hate to see our nationally ranked volleyball and women's basketball teams suffer because of it. The Big XII is (or should I say was) a total powerhouse for both those sports, and I can't see us being as good or being taken as seriously without that constant high caliber competition throughout the season. Can you even imagine how fast those big checks would come waving at Christy and Bill? Same goes for wrestling. Even for men's basketball to an extent; sure we're pretty awful right now, but getting stuck in a nothing conference leaves little room to ever bounce back and get our tradition back.

Starter
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

Re: So......... what about all the other sports?

I think Women's BBall will be just fine. I think Wrestling will be just fine. I've heard radio folks say they will have problems but it is not reality.

Boise St competes in the PAC10 in wrestling. Wrestling may go into a "district" thing to ensure ISU keeps wrestling NU and Mizzou, or it may not - but anything is possible.

In the Big Ten, half of the Div 1 hockey teams don't play each other in league. There is no real Big Ten hockey. Regional and traditional leagues trump conference.

Guess what I'm saying is the "other sports" have a way of working themselves out.

If this means we wrestle Bakersfield on a home-and-home, so be it. Bring on Chattanooga, Cornell, etc. Better, bigger home meets against national powers isn't so bad... nor is trying a few more on the road.

As for WBB - never, EVER bet against Fennelly. Whatever league we wind up in, we'll compete very single year. He doesn't even have bad years anymore - he just reloads.

As far as track & field - we'll be just fine. It's easier to be a contender even if you don't have a giant "XII" on your back - just ask Houston, or Arkansas.

The big losers? Maybe women's softball. Then again they may have moderate success against more equal opponents and lead to even more rejuvenation of the sport.

I don't see a huge drop in the "other sports" except new challenges, and possibly new opportunities for success.

--------
    Pereant osores!
    --------

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 5

Track and field doesn't really compete "in conference" until the conference meet. Most of the other competitions are open events so that will not be a big deal ( look at UNI before bucknum went to ark). We would probably find greater success in that sport. Idk about the others bc I didn't compete in those.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KneeGusto View Post
    I think Women's BBall will be just fine. I think Wrestling will be just fine. I've heard radio folks say they will have problems but it is not reality.

Boise St competes in the PAC10 in wrestling. Wrestling may go into a "district" thing to ensure ISU keeps wrestling NU and Mizzou, or it may not - but anything is possible.

In the Big Ten, half of the Div 1 hockey teams don't play each other in league. There is no real Big Ten hockey. Regional and traditional leagues trump conference.

Guess what I'm saying is the "other sports" have a way of working themselves out.

If this means we wrestle Bakersfield on a home-and-home, so be it. Bring on Chattanooga, Cornell, etc. Better, bigger home meets against national powers isn't so bad... nor is trying a few more on the road.

As for WBB - never, EVER bet against Fennelly. Whatever league we wind up in, we'll compete very single year. He doesn't even have bad years anymore - he just reloads.

As far as track & field - we'll be just fine. It's easier to be a contender even if you don't have a giant "XII" on your back - just ask Houston, or Arkansas.

The big losers? Maybe women's softball. Then again they may have moderate success against more equal opponents and lead to even more rejuvenation of the sport.

I don't see a huge drop in the "other sports" except new challenges, and possibly new opportunities for success.
    I think you are kidding yourself. If we have to move to a "lower tier" conference our revenue is going to take a huge hit due to lower conference payouts. That means less money to funnel to these sports that are always in the red from a budget standpoint.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Wasn't Cornell a top 5 wrestling team this year? I can't imagine they have a big budget. I think our wrestling program would be fine.

Starter
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

The problem that we may run into is the travel money. If the women's softball team has to travel all over the country now to play it's conference games, it's travel a budget is going to sky rocket and the athletic department probably doesn't have the money to keep funding it. If something like that happens and we loose a woman's sport, we are going to have to loose a mens sport as well and that's where things could get dicey.

...Straight going donkey...

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I don't think we can drop anymore sports and still be d-I. I may be wrong about that.

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 147
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 8

They don't care about the other sports. Or Iowa State. They only care about how many people you can fill your football stadium with.

Starter
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Think about the level of competition the womens bball and volleyball would then be playing during the conference season. It definitely won't be Texas, Nebraska, etc. For that reason alone it would hurt. And i don't think BF would be getting the colorado and michigan miss basketball if we go MWC.

Hilton Coliseum was specifically built to hold in sound with a solid concrete structure, steel doors, and a crowd that sits just a few feet from the court. With a fan base that frequently ranks among the nations largest crowds, players from opposing teams, as well as Iowa State, have said that the floor has shaken due to the loudness of the crowd