Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Someone please walk me through this scenario

I will preface this by saying I'm (obviously) a Hawkeye fan but I am not a Cyclone-hater. I have several immeduate family members who have degrees from ISU. We have fun with the rivalry but don't get carried away with it. So, while I'm not above "tweaking," I'm not here to troll.

Here's my question: In another thread a reasonable-sounding poster said that conference realignment threatens the economic well being of the state. I understand in general the idea that loss of a high major conference affiliation could ultimately affect interest in sports and thus the size of the athletic department budget, but is it really likely to have a major impact on such things as overall donations to the University and research funding? If so, why?

As an aside, if what they're talking about does happen, I honestly think a MWC affiliation would be very good. It would be a BCS conference when all the dust settles, I think, and the football and basketball style and competition is excellent. I know none of you wants the B12 to end, but just as a fan I would rather watch the MWC teams and I think ISU could do very well in that league.

Thanks in advance for serious responses.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 67

Re: Someone please walk me through this scenario

TV and exposure=dollars and students.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Starter
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 428
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 10

Quote Originally Posted by kingcy View Post
    Exactly right

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Apparently there's more to a conference than just the athletics. There's partnerships in terms of research and other such things. And supposedly these types of partnerships and the endowments and grants amount to hundreds of millions and not the tens of millions that athletic budgets comprise.

For example - did you know U of Illinois - Chicago is in fact a member of the Big 10, academically via the Committee on Institutional Cooperation.

Add to that things like prestige, enrollment, merchandising etc and so on.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

OK, but don't the dollars go to the athletic department budget? I know that there are school promos run during games, but do those really have a major impact on student recruitment?

Also, wouldn't ISU still have the same opportunity for promotion, albeit with fewer viewers, in something like the MWC?

I'm not arguing that there would be no impact, but would it really have a major economic impact on the state?

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Conferences also receive research grants etc......another angle the Big 10 is/was looking at when considering expansion candidates.

Addict
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112

Yep... pretty simple. But try explaining it to a Hawk fan that is all excited over this happening to ISU.

If it were happening to Iowa, then they would understand.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Apparently there's more to a conference than just the athletics. There's partnerships in terms of research and other such things. And supposedly these types of partnerships and the endowments and grants amount to hundreds of millions and not the tens of millions that athletic budgets comprise.

For example - did you know U of Illinois - Chicago is in fact a member of the Big 10, academically via the Committee on Institutional Cooperation.

Add to that things like prestige, enrollment, merchandising etc and so on.
    I assume you're referring to the University of Chicago, which is a not a part of the U of Ill.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by frndlyhawk View Post
    I assume you're referring to the University of Chicago, which is a not a part of the U of Ill.
    yep

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 4

Attendance drops, donations drop, rivalries dry up causing less interest, eventually enrollment might go down, less people come to the area etc. It would not happen over night, but it could happen.

There is no guarantee the MWC would be a BCS conference. The other 4 conferences could just shut them out.

Nothing is guaranteed to go wrong, but it is almost guaranteed that nothing good can come of this for ISU. It is hard to say what would happen, the point is at the best case it would be negative. Everyone that is not an ISU fan is sitting around not caring saying it doesn't matter, when there are risks that exist. If everyone sits around saying "it will be fine", then we will not be prepared if it does go wrong. The current situation is a good example, the B12 did nothing to prevent this when there were warning signs everywhere, instead they closed their eyes, were not prepared and now it is too late.

I don't want to be sitting here in 10 years with ISU having a dropping attendance and say "boy i wish someone would have realized the unintended consequences of us leaving a major conference 10 years ago"

Legend
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 300
    Given: 149

UIC, is in the Big 10, academically.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 638
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post

I don't think even the CIC knows the University of Illinois - Chicago is a member.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by goldmember View Post
    Conferences also receive research grants etc......another angle the Big 10 is/was looking at when considering expansion candidates.
    I didn't realize there were such things as conference research grants. However, the idea of conference research grants and research affiliations among conference schools helps explain why they're at least paying lip service to academic/research qualities in the discussion of Big Ten expansion. Quite frankly, I hadn't fully grasped the practical aspects of that and thought of it more as a sort of elitism.

Last edited by frndlyhawk; 06-09-2010 at 11:32 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,043
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 4

OK, but don't the dollars go to the athletic department budget? I know that there are school promos run during games, but do those really have a major impact on student recruitment?

Also, wouldn't ISU still have the same opportunity for promotion, albeit with fewer viewers, in something like the MWC?

I'm not arguing that there would be no impact, but would it really have a major economic impact on the state?

Even if there isn't, are we supposed to just sit here and take it and be happy about it? Our school that we all love is under attack for crying out loud.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I'm puzzled as to why Cyclone fans are upset at the likely break-up of the Big 12. I may be the only one, but I'm hoping we end up in the MWC, or even the Big East for 4 reasons.

1. I'm tired of Texas controlling the league. I believe a healthy conference doesn't have 1 team calling all of the shots.

2. I'm tired of losing. It's no fun not having a legitimate chance against Texas, OU, and to a lesser extent some other teams.

3. I truly believe this is our chance to gain some traction in FB. I think Paul Rhoads would be capable of building a Boise State type program if we could start by dropping down a notch in competition. Play an easy nonconference schedule and build winning and tradition over time then, we can take advantage of....

4. Conference realignment again. I can't imagine 4 'super conferences' would last long. Schools like Texas are going to try to call the shots and there would be dissention.

Who knows, but it's going to be interesting to see how it plays out.