Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 32

Finally someone talking sense

Paul Clark nails the issues that got ISU here and what needs to happen next: Stop whining like a bunch of girls and commit to athletic excellence at ISU. Finally.

IF that happens, it only took like 150 years to buy a vowel and get a clue. What does that say about the "higher learning" going on at ISU? We're slow learners, but when we get it, WE GET IT.

CycloneReport.com - Dateline Campustown: Change the future

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 867
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 4

Re: Finally someone talking sense

Quote Originally Posted by ShopTalk View Post
    Paul Clark nails the issues that got ISU here and what needs to happen next: Stop whining like a bunch of girls and commit to athletic excellence at ISU. Finally.

IF that happens, it only took like 150 years to buy a vowel and get a clue. What does that say about the "higher learning" going on at ISU? We're slow learners, but when we get it, WE GET IT.

He is right. ISU administration did this to itself in the 80's and 90's. In the late 70's ISU had the advantage on Iowa with a new JTS and a new Hilton and Iowa was a football wasteland. John Cooper was never hired and what followed was years of underinvestment and we are still diggin out of that hole. Very very sad it has come to this.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 309
    Given: 347

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    He is right. ISU administration did this to itself in the 80's and 90's. In the late 70's ISU had the advantage on Iowa with a new JTS and a new Hilton and Iowa was a football wasteland. John Cooper was never hired and what followed was years of underinvestment and we are still diggin out of that hole. Very very sad it has come to this.
    The ISU administration of that time was just carrying out the task given to them by people like Pomerantz and Brandstad.

ISU is already more than what the actions of the state of Iowa indicate it would like ISU to be. To place all blame on those that have been forced to play against a stacked deck is just adding to the injustice.

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 1

Clark is wrong. This isn't about long-term athletic success. Otherwise, Kansas would have a home. Somehow other schools are going to be ok that haven't had long term success.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited by Rogue52; 06-09-2010 at 04:59 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 87
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    ISU is already more than what the actions of the state of Iowa indicate it would like ISU to be. To place all blame on those that have been forced to play against a stacked deck is just adding to it.
    No so fast my friend!

An ISU professor I know well spews the "we're an elitist intellectual university and don't want to be watered down by athletics which dumbs down the student population" argument verbatim that was the official stance from ISU Presidents forever.

This isn't about blame, it's about acknowledging the truth about what ISU can control and didn't that may have put us in a better situation right now or in the future.

It's about changing that Paul Clark poll from 80% saying they're OK with being mediocre in a "Big league" rather than being dominant. I suspect that same 80% are the same ones who ***** and moan to move to the MAC every time we get beaten down and humiliated by Texas, OU, NU, etc. And now they're moaning that the world is already ended for all things ISU. Well it has if everyone else thinks like that.

ISU may be humiliated, humbled and financially strapped -- but is any of that seriously new? See the MAC apologists meltdowns every single year...... Yeah, the Iowa legislature needs to learn a thing or ten too from this deal going forward and actually support instead of undermine one of their public universities if that's the point.

Regardless of how this plays out, that negative thinking has got to go, unless you're OK with being perceived as mediocre in all things associated with your education. I for one am not.

That's how I see it.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue52 View Post
    Clark is wrong. This isn't about long-term athletic success. Otherwise, Kansas would have a home. Somehow other schools are going to be ok that haven't had long term success.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Basketball does not equal Football success. Know one's priorities for athletic success.

And yeah, Boise St. didn't get invited to the MWC with FB BCS busting success. Yet. And who cares if Boise St. even PLAYS basketball, seriously?

Ever heard of any SEC teams being serious MBB contenders for #1 every year like Kansas? Apples and oranges, you are very, very confused about where the money comes in to play.

Boise St. will move up in the conference landscape one way or another and they have a whole lot less going for them educationally and population/location-wise that ISU.

And it is all wrong that greed and the basest form of it at that is driving this. No higher morality or intellectual thought to it, just simple dumb BP style gangster thinking. So either you're a gangster that doesn't roll over or you're out of athletics forever?

Last edited by ShopTalk; 06-09-2010 at 05:13 PM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 466
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Basketball does not equal Football success. Know one's priorities for athletic success.

And yeah, Boise St. didn't get invited to the MWC with FB BCS busting success. Yet. And who cares if Boise St. even PLAYS basketball, seriously?

Ever heard of any SEC teams being serious MBB contenders for #1 every year like Kansas? Apples and oranges, you are very, very confused about where the money comes in to play.

Boise St. will move up in the conference landscape one way or another and they have a whole lot less going for them educationally and population/location-wise that ISU.
    Huh. Kentucky comes to mind.

www.widerightnattylite.com/ - All the news on the team that gives you fits

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

No so fast my friend!

An ISU professor I know well spews the "we're an elitist intellectual university and don't want to be watered down by athletics which dumbs down the student population" argument verbatim that was the official stance from ISU Presidents forever.

This isn't about blame, it's about acknowledging the truth about what ISU can control and didn't that may have put us in a better situation right now or in the future.
    Great for that one Professor. There is a Faculty Senate 15+ years ago that says different.
    And who do you think hired that President? You take their sales job; I'll follow the money and how they vote.
    Your right, it is not about blame. Put to avoid the same mistakes in the future, an accurate assessment of the past is vital...and that is not assuming it was just clumsy Ole ISU that was ok with tripping over its own feet. It is was pushed.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by sdillon500 View Post
    Huh. Kentucky comes to mind.
    Yeah and they're firmly entrenched in the SEC. I saw a twit from Chizik on it, so you can take it to the bank!

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Great for that one Professor. There is a Faculty Senate 15+ years ago that says different.
    And who do you think hired that President? You take their sales job; I'll follow the money and how they vote.
    Your right, it is not about blame. Put to avoid the same mistakes in the future, an accurate assessment of the past is vital...and that is not assuming it was just clumsy Ole ISU that was ok with tripping over its own feet. It is was pushed.
    I agree and I think Paul Clark states that as well.

So should we make Iowa legislators take a "No means No" course or should we push back harder and where it hurts? I'm not sure what exactly your point is and how it would change the proposed remedy of becoming a dominant football program?

Legend
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree and I think Paul Clark states that as well.

So should we make Iowa legislators take a "No means No" course or should we push back harder and where it hurts? I'm not sure what exactly your point is and how it would change the proposed remedy of becoming a dominant football program?
    Stop supporting the institutions and people that keep on knocking ISU down. The local media, Branstad, certain BoR members, etc. Be politically active and vote with your wallets...and not by trashing or boycotting ISU games. Think higher up.

Addict
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 205
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21

The point is, it's not ONLY about longterm athletic success. It's about a capability to bring viewers to the Big 10 network. Does longterm athletic success help? Of course, but ISU being an elite power in football wasn't going to make the state of Iowa any bigger.

Clark's analysis is flawed a bit.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Clark may be slightly off his rocker, but I still like his conclusion. I think it is the best approach to the future that may be in ISU's and the State of Iowa's ability to do Rogue52.

SwathmoreCY like the fight back politically sound of your response too.

Starter
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

This is a really dumb sentiment. I mean, I get the whole "don't get mad, get even" kind of thing, but what I think this fails to take into account is that this paves the way for a few superconferences and further consolidates power among the "haves" in college athletics. And in many ways it chokes off a lot of opportunities for us to better ourselves, even if we do rise to the challenge. This has the potential to hurt ISU in many, many ways that make athletics look insignificant by comparison.

And what is Paul Clark's brilliant master plan? He talks a lot about "making the decision" and "executing the appropriate plan" but what is that plan?

Frankly, I think that story is part of the reason why Cyclone Report has become a ghost town. He clearly has no contacts or insight into the situation and hasn't for some time.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Trice View Post
    This is a really dumb sentiment. And in many ways it chokes off a lot of opportunities for us to better ourselves, even if we do rise to the challenge. This has the potential to hurt ISU in many, many ways that make athletics look insignificant by comparison.
    Yeah, it totally sucks. Period. Even if ISU goes to Big10, that totally sucks IMO. I hate the conservative run only plain vanilla offenses of the Big10 and I live in TX.

This sucks on so many levels....thanks for reminding me that all hope is futile, I feel much worse now.