The broader impact of realignment
Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Starter
    Points: 40,455, Level: 62
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Trice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    959
    Points
    40,455
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 10

    The broader impact of realignment

    The thing that scares me most about realignment is not so much who we end up playing - although certainly the Big 12 gives us the best competition of any conference right now - but the hit we take in prestige at the university level. And not just nationally, but in our own state.

    We lose TV revenue - and a broader audience to see our advertising - from being in a smaller league.

    We lose research dollars because we lack the connections with other strong research institutions to compete for large grants.

    We can't recruit or retain quality faculty and staff, which ties closely with and accelerates the loss of research dollars, not to mention hurts the student experience, rankings, etc.

    We lose enrollment tuition because of the perception that we're a lesser university.

    And here's something else nobody's mentioned. There are a lot of major donors, corporate and individual, who give to all of the Regent institutions - or at least to both Iowa State and Iowa. Now, maybe that's out of the goodness of their hearts. Or maybe it's partly (or wholly) for political reasons, so as not to upset a sizable portion of the state.

    But how many of those folks, judging for themselves that ISU is no longer on par with Iowa as a major university, greatly diminish - or outright withdraw - their support for ISU?

    This realignment could really launch an ugly downward spiral. The people who sit back and say they're not worried about this because they can't control it should really pull their heads out of the sand and get engaged. It is not an exaggeration to say this could shape the future of Iowa State.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 280,234, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    15,514
    Points
    280,234
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,326
    Given: 273

    Re: The broader impact of realignment

    EXACTLY! Most people here, as well as the entire media, are just focusing on the effects of this on our athletic department. The implications go far beyond that, and without a major conference, ISU will become more irrelevant than we already are. It will be so sad.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 26,010, Level: 49
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ornryactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,633
    Points
    26,010
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The broader impact of realignment

    I'm so glad you posted this list! I was getting really tired of seeing only 17 of the 20 front-page topics saying all these things. Now if we can just start two more threads that repeat this stuff yet again, perhaps we can oust those darn Virgin Islands and Lost discussion threads!


    True and Valiant

    I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

    God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 280,234, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    15,514
    Points
    280,234
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,326
    Given: 273

    Re: The broader impact of realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    I'm so glad you posted this list! I was getting really tired of seeing only 17 of the 20 front-page topics saying all these things. Now if we can just start two more threads that repeat this stuff yet again, perhaps we can oust those darn Virgin Islands and Lost discussion threads!
    There is hardly anything on this site discussing the implications of conference realignment outside of the athletics department.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 120,163, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,084
    Points
    120,163
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 247

    Re: The broader impact of realignment

    Great post.
    Lots of ISU faculty members - responsible for securing funding, recruiting bright students, and keeping ISU competitive with our peer institutions - are worried and tense right now. They see the broad implications if the Big 12 is decimated.
    For the umpteenth time, the MWC is not an OK option for Iowa State.



  6. #6
    Starter
    Points: 40,455, Level: 62
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Trice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    959
    Points
    40,455
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 10

    Re: The broader impact of realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by ornryactor View Post
    I'm so glad you posted this list! I was getting really tired of seeing only 17 of the 20 front-page topics saying all these things. Now if we can just start two more threads that repeat this stuff yet again, perhaps we can oust those darn Virgin Islands and Lost discussion threads!
    Strange, I've seen very little discussion of the non-athletic impact. And given this is probably going to shape ISU - the university, not just the "Cyclones" - for the next few decades, I don't think we can hammer this home enough.

    The beauty of being able to read is that you can quickly discern what is of interest to you and what isn't. If you don't like it, skip it.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 408,260, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    61,133
    Points
    408,260
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 883
    Given: 622

    Re: The broader impact of realignment

    It will hurt like the devil if we go MWC combo or MAC transfer. The big game will always be our Iowa Superbowl. We might be competing with UNI for bball players. Wait. We already are.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 40,455, Level: 62
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Trice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    959
    Points
    40,455
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 10

    Re: The broader impact of realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Great post.
    Lots of ISU faculty members - responsible for securing funding, recruiting bright students, and keeping ISU competitive with our peer institutions - are worried and tense right now. They see the broad implications if the Big 12 is decimated.
    For the umpteenth time, the MWC is not an OK option for Iowa State.
    It may not be OK, but it might be the least-worst option we have. So in the end, it may have to be OK.

    But in all honesty, is the Big 12 really that prestigious from an academic standpoint? Do we really benefit that much academically from being associated with most of these other schools? Do we have the research/academic relationships with our conference partners that Big 10 members do?

    My perception - and it's very possible I'm wrong - is that most of our benefit from the Big 12, even on the academic side, comes from the athletic association with these other 11 major institutions. In other words, it's mostly an image thing - the company we keep, etc.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 408,260, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    61,133
    Points
    408,260
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 883
    Given: 622

    Re: The broader impact of realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Trice View Post
    It may not be OK, but it might be the least-worst option we have. So in the end, it may have to be OK.

    But in all honesty, is the Big 12 really that prestigious from an academic standpoint? Do we really benefit that much academically from being associated with most of these other schools? Do we have the research/academic relationships with our conference partners that Big 10 members do?

    My perception - and it's very possible I'm wrong - is that most of our benefit from the Big 12, even on the academic side, comes from the athletic association with these other 11 major institutions. In other words, it's mostly an image thing - the company we keep, etc.
    Okay. We add Wyoming and have a chance to win the North every year. That works for me. I would guess that Mizzou is out of luck also, otherwise we would be hearing more from them.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  10. #10
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 68,226, Level: 81
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,524
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE WI
    Posts
    4,965
    Points
    68,226
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

    Re: The broader impact of realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I would guess that Mizzou is out of luck also, otherwise we would be hearing more from them.
    My guess:

    The Big 10 will add Nebraska now to make 12. They'll also take Notre Dame ASAP if ND is willing. They may take their sweet time investigating their other options at that point and deciding whether to have 12, 14, or 16 schools. Missouri (and other schools) may like an answer now, but the Big Ten is probably only interested in accelerating their timeline for Nebraska, nobody else.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 120,163, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,084
    Points
    120,163
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 247

    Re: The broader impact of realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Trice View Post
    It may not be OK, but it might be the least-worst option we have. So in the end, it may have to be OK.

    But in all honesty, is the Big 12 really that prestigious from an academic standpoint? Do we really benefit that much academically from being associated with most of these other schools? Do we have the research/academic relationships with our conference partners that Big 10 members do?

    My perception - and it's very possible I'm wrong - is that most of our benefit from the Big 12, even on the academic side, comes from the athletic association with these other 11 major institutions. In other words, it's mostly an image thing - the company we keep, etc.
    Exactly. It's the exposure. I talked with a head of a department in the College of Engineering over the noon hour - he pointed out that ISU's membership in the Big 12, and playing the heavyweight schools that are on TV so much, is invaluable to ISU from an image standpoint. He openly predicted that grants, academic recruiting, and fund-raising will be severely impacted.
    When I say "not OK," I mean to maintain ISU's current level of academic and research influence.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 155,076, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    weR138's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    7,680
    Points
    155,076
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 57

    Re: The broader impact of realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Trice View Post
    The thing that scares me most about realignment is not so much who we end up playing - although certainly the Big 12 gives us the best competition of any conference right now - but the hit we take in prestige at the university level. And not just nationally, but in our own state.

    We lose TV revenue - and a broader audience to see our advertising - from being in a smaller league.

    We lose research dollars because we lack the connections with other strong research institutions to compete for large grants.

    We can't recruit or retain quality faculty and staff, which ties closely with and accelerates the loss of research dollars, not to mention hurts the student experience, rankings, etc.

    We lose enrollment tuition because of the perception that we're a lesser university.

    And here's something else nobody's mentioned. There are a lot of major donors, corporate and individual, who give to all of the Regent institutions - or at least to both Iowa State and Iowa. Now, maybe that's out of the goodness of their hearts. Or maybe it's partly (or wholly) for political reasons, so as not to upset a sizable portion of the state.

    But how many of those folks, judging for themselves that ISU is no longer on par with Iowa as a major university, greatly diminish - or outright withdraw - their support for ISU?

    This realignment could really launch an ugly downward spiral. The people who sit back and say they're not worried about this because they can't control it should really pull their heads out of the sand and get engaged. It is not an exaggeration to say this could shape the future of Iowa State.
    Exactly right.

    AND with Branstad in office soon he can use all of this to reemploy the Pomerantz doctrine of making ISU a satalite campus of the U of I system.


    RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

  13. #13
    Starter
    Points: 40,455, Level: 62
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Trice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    959
    Points
    40,455
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 10

    Re: The broader impact of realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Exactly. It's the exposure. I talked with a head of a department in the College of Engineering over the noon hour - he pointed out that ISU's membership in the Big 12, and playing the heavyweight schools that are on TV so much, is invaluable to ISU from an image standpoint. He openly predicted that grants, academic recruiting, and fund-raising will be severely impacted.
    When I say "not OK," I mean to maintain ISU's current level of academic and research influence.
    Understood.



  14. #14
    Walk On
    Points: 11,108, Level: 31
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 142
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    150
    Points
    11,108
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

    Re: The broader impact of realignment

    Trice, good post.
    What happens this week could change the landscape of ISU forever.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 26,010, Level: 49
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ornryactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,633
    Points
    26,010
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: The broader impact of realignment

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    There is hardly anything on this site discussing the implications of conference realignment outside of the athletics department.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trice View Post
    Strange, I've seen very little discussion of the non-athletic impact.
    Perhaps I just happen to pick every thread that mentions these points, or perhaps you both just manage to miss most or all of them. I've seen a prolific amount of discussion on every point listed above. It doesn't make them any less valid, I just see this as highly repetitious. But I guess if we're not reading the same stuff and you aren't seeing it, then carry on.


    True and Valiant

    I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

    God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM