Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 48
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Arrow Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    From Taylor's USA Basketball Media Guide Profile:

    http://www.usabasketball.com/women/2...rials_bios.pdf

    "Lists Iowa State and Stanford as her college favorites"

    This was updated yesterday after all the USA U17 and U18 participants gathered in Colorado Springs, Colorado for the tryouts this week.



  2. #2
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 68,183, Level: 81
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,567
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE WI
    Posts
    4,964
    Points
    68,183
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    Doesn't necessarily mean she's down to two, but I'd be surprised if she went anywhere other than ISU or Stanford.



  3. #3
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 73,020, Level: 83
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    BoxsterCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Golden Valley, MN
    Posts
    4,501
    Points
    73,020
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 852
    Given: 714

    Re: Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    Doesn't necessarily mean she's down to two, but I'd be surprised if she went anywhere other than ISU or Stanford.
    I wish we weren't in the middle of all of this conference demolition stuff because right now we can't honestly tell a recruit what conference we will be in. I guess the good news is we should know something on the conference stuff very soon.



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 36,193, Level: 58
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    3,455
    Points
    36,193
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 64

    Re: Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    I hope she picks the good guys...I mean girls!



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 120,077, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,068
    Points
    120,077
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 242

    Re: Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    Quote Originally Posted by BoxsterCy View Post
    I wish we weren't in the middle of all of this conference demolition stuff because right now we can't honestly tell a recruit what conference we will be in. I guess the good news is we should know something on the conference stuff very soon.
    I've been convinced that Greenfield is ours - but that was assuming we were still in the best women's bb conference in the country.
    If the Big 12 dissolves, I don't like our chances. She wants to play the best.



  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 68,183, Level: 81
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,567
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteran50000 Experience Points
    mred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    SE WI
    Posts
    4,964
    Points
    68,183
    Level
    81
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 41
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    I've been convinced that Greenfield is ours - but that was assuming we were still in the best women's bb conference in the country.
    If the Big 12 dissolves, I don't like our chances. She wants to play the best.
    This is probably a bad time for me to point out that most of the good WBB programs in the Big 12 may be joining Stanford's conference.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 407,969, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    61,068
    Points
    407,969
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 607

    Re: Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    Quote Originally Posted by mred View Post
    This is probably a bad time for me to point out that most of the good WBB programs in the Big 12 may be joining Stanford's conference.
    Cool your tool. You may jinx us. You and TO.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  8. #8
    Walk On
    Points: 4,684, Level: 20
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    mhalb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    216
    Points
    4,684
    Level
    20
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

    Re: Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    I think we have a big chance. She's already knows what we can do. Even if we get switched to a crappier conference, nothing will change about our program. We'll still be good. Sure, we are going to have to work harder in the non conference season, so that we can get recognized. I don't think that will be a decision in her choosing. We'll give her NCAA tournaments, and it won't be just a first or second round run. They'll be sweet sixteens and elite eights, and hopefully more. She's going to look at our previous seasons not what conference we're in. Also, we have already made ourselves known around the nation for our women's basketball program, so a conference switch won't do much.


    Once a cyclones, always a cyclone.

  9. #9
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 10,659, Level: 31
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    290
    Points
    10,659
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    Quote Originally Posted by mhalb View Post
    I think we have a big chance. She's already knows what we can do. Even if we get switched to a crappier conference, nothing will change about our program. We'll still be good. Sure, we are going to have to work harder in the non conference season, so that we can get recognized. I don't think that will be a decision in her choosing. We'll give her NCAA tournaments, and it won't be just a first or second round run. They'll be sweet sixteens and elite eights, and hopefully more. She's going to look at our previous seasons not what conference we're in. Also, we have already made ourselves known around the nation for our women's basketball program, so a conference switch won't do much.
    That all depends on what conference ISU ends up in. Anything other than a BCS level conference and the program will be undergoing major changes.



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 18,261, Level: 41
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,914
    Points
    18,261
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 30

    Re: Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Legend12 View Post
    That all depends on what conference ISU ends up in. Anything other than a BCS level conference and the program will be undergoing major changes.
    What major changes - a mass exodous of players, Fennelly leaving? First, Fennelly is not going anywhere. He's had plenty of chances (Wisconsin, Ohio State), and he chose to stay here. Second, players play for coaches, and if you look at the players Fennelly recruits, they are not typically top 25 kids. Third, Stanford is not going to be the big fish in the pond if you add the six schools from the B12. Baylor, A&M, OU and TX are all going to give Stanford a run for their money. The Pac-10 is VERY weak in womens basketball and Stanford has been able to control the league, that won't happen when you add the B12 schools. The B12 schools won't have to play each other twice in the Pac 10, they would only play once, since they'll have to play everyone at least once in conference play. Suddenly Stanford has to travel to Norman, Waco, College Station, and Austin, things are different for them, and they don't have this great record because they have to play against more than just one or two decent schools in the Pac 10.

    I am amazed at all the people who have thrown in the towel with our athletic programs if the B12 dies. If I didn't know any better from reading some of the posts on here, you would be led to believe our athletic department is going to shut down completely.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 120,077, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Tornado man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    8,068
    Points
    120,077
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 242

    Re: Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Three4Cy View Post
    What major changes - a mass exodous of players, Fennelly leaving? First, Fennelly is not going anywhere. He's had plenty of chances (Wisconsin, Ohio State), and he chose to stay here. Second, players play for coaches, and if you look at the players Fennelly recruits, they are not typically top 25 kids. Third, Stanford is not going to be the big fish in the pond if you add the six schools from the B12. Baylor, A&M, OU and TX are all going to give Stanford a run for their money. The Pac-10 is VERY weak in womens basketball and Stanford has been able to control the league, that won't happen when you add the B12 schools.

    Um, yeah, except for the fact that Fennelly himself has said a million times that "playing in the best women's bb conference in America" is one of his biggest recruiting pitches, right behind our tremendous crowd support. He challenges recruits by asking if they want to play against the best. He put that question to players at the Elite Camp last week. He has put the question to Greenfield. Now it may have no meaning at all. Now Stanford can say "come play against the best." As if they need any more help.
    We will lose all of our big rivalry games - OU, Texas, Nebraska. And you don't think that will hurt recruiting? Are you kidding?



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 164,379, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Here nor there
    Posts
    12,318
    Points
    164,379
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 707
    Given: 1,091

    Re: Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Um, yeah, except for the fact that Fennelly himself has said a million times that "playing in the best women's bb conference in America" is one of his biggest recruiting pitches, right behind our tremendous crowd support. He challenges recruits by asking if they want to play against the best. He put that question to players at the Elite Camp last week. He has put the question to Greenfield. Now it may have no meaning at all. Now Stanford can say "come play against the best." As if they need any more help.
    We will lose all of our big rivalry games - OU, Texas, Nebraska. And you don't think that will hurt recruiting? Are you kidding?
    While I agree, but how did UWGB give us a game? Or Utah knock us out of the NCAA's 10 years ago? It can be done, but BF will be forced to change his recruiting pitch.


    Last edited by swarthmoreCY; 06-09-2010 at 11:04 PM.

  13. #13
    Rookie
    Points: 19,765, Level: 42
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    ISU_REV's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    559
    Points
    19,765
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    While I agree, but how did UWGB give us a game? Or Utah knock us out of the NCAA's 10 years ago? It can be done, but BF will be forced to change his recruiting pitch.
    Wow...I did not remember this and it happened in 2005. I was all ready to correct you but thought I had better do some research.



  14. #14
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 10,659, Level: 31
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    290
    Points
    10,659
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    If ISU drops down to a non-BCS level conference what do you think happens to the budgets of the athletic department in general and women's basketball specifically?

    What impact do you think the lower budgets may have on the program? On the staff..both on who is on staff and the number of staff they can afford.

    A few examples:

    ISU (Big 12) - Women's Operating Budget - $1,940,940 (lost $900,00)
    Bowling Green (MAC) - Women's Operating Budget - $754,629 (lost $643,000)
    San Diego State (MWC) - Women's Operating Budget - $1,277832 (lost $900,000)

    Can ISU continue to spend $1,900,000 per year when the revenue generated is not as great as it has been?

    Of course Fennelly turned down OSU and Wisconsin (among others)...but that was when ISU was on a level playing field...that is not going to be the case if they don't end up in a BCS conference. (And no, I am not implying that he will leave for another school.)

    The change from a BCS conference to a non-BCS conference would have far reaching effects well beyond simply who the teams lace 'em up against.

    For the record...this data is from 2004-2005, but it give you an idea of the differences.


    Last edited by Legend12; 06-09-2010 at 11:25 PM.

  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 18,261, Level: 41
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Three4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    West Des Moines
    Posts
    1,914
    Points
    18,261
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 30

    Re: Recruiting: Taylor Greenfield down to 2

    Stanford is not nearly as appealing when they aren't winning the Pac-10 every year. Sudddenly when they are finishing third, or fourth, its not nearly as fun, as winning the conference every year by five or six games, and having a guaranteed trip to the final four every year because the selection committee makes sure you play close to home in the regionals. Hard to draw a number one seed when you don't win the conference every year.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM