Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Let's talk 2nd chances.

This is something that I'd like to bring before a board of football fans just to gage myself on a true life issue. (I'm sure everyone's response won't be favorable, but I'm just interested in knowing)

In 1999 I was introduced to an athlete. He was at that time 14 years old, about 5'11 and 170lbs at the most. He came from a military family and had just relocated to my high school. He was a quiet kid but was boasted to our team as a kid who "loved the game" of football. He was a freshman. By the end of that season (we went 12-1 losing to the eventual state champions) he had become our most exciting varsity defensive player. He had his nose (and what ever else he could get in) on EVERY tackle it seemed like. He was ALL over the field to the point that referees would comment to opposing coaches; "(#)9's killing ya" I recall a stripe telling a head coach. Nonetheless I, like many others was amazed. As time went on he continued to grow and develop in the game as well as physically to the tune of 6'1"200lbs by his Junior season. By now he was the most feared LB/SS in our region. He had become more outgoing, more personable and mainly the center of attention at the high school. I returned to my Alma Mater as an offensive coordinator at that time and was able to witness one of the greatest senior season on defense that this state has ever seen. Nine, as we'll call him, was at his most dominant level. He was throwing runningbacks left and right. Shedding pulling gurads like someone's neighbor's little brother. He was a man amongst boys, and a leader in more ways than 1. However a dark cloud was shadowing him that not many were aware of. And basically to make a long story short he became popular with the wrong crew. Now I'm not here to sugar coat anything so I'll cut to the chase. Not long after that senior season, during the time when the football office was ringing off the hook with colleges looking for him, he was arrested. Apparently, he and a few others, were caught up in some robbery/breaking and entering cases. His role landed him 6 years in jail. (on the verge of many scholarships) Well he was recently released and to my surprise he told me that he was taking classes while incarcerated and is only 9 credits away from his Associates Degree. He has relocated to a better area and is fully committed to a new life style. Out of the blue today he called me and said "Coach, is there anyway I could go to any school to play football? Would anyone give me a second chance?" It was at this moment that I began to think. I know that people make mistakes, but if I was a college coach what would I do in this scenario? I know a lot of JUCO's that this kid would dominate if he's anythng like he used to be, but is it too late and thus the consequences of his actions kick in? Anyone who takes the time to read this....what would you think?? Please be brutally honest, I love opinion.

Have a great day Cyclone Nation!

This is how we FINISH STRONG!!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 27

Re: Let's talk 2nd chances.

He should express those thoughts to coaches, and prove that he has changed. We have all done stupid things in our lives, heck I know I have. While they do not rise to this level, they were stupid.

Showing that he is close to an AA degree will help. Perhaps he could try and walk on at a major school and work to show that he has changed. Volunteer in the community, mentor kids, those things look great to colleges. Most importantly, keep your nose clean, no underage on premises, no petty theft, no possession. No more offensives of any kind. He may get a second chance, but the leash has to be incredibly small.

EDIT: looking at the timeline, is he now 25? Is he even eligible to play anymore?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 183
    Given: 48

I would bet that he'd have to go the JUCO route for at least a season before he'd be given a chance at the D1 level. Nothing wrong with giving someone a second chance. He was obviously young and dumb and if we were all caught for our poor decisions when we were 17 or 18, the jails would be much fuller. Hopefully, it all can work out.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't know that a call can hurt... And after we're in C-USA, we'll be looking for anything

For "I", for "S", forever!
    For Iowa State all the way.
    Let's go! To show them what the gang's all here for,
    Go! To show them how the Cyclones cheer.
    For "I", for "S", forever!
    For Iowa State do it right!
    It's time to climb up on the vict'ry wagon,
    Fight! Iowa State, Fight! Fight!

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 566
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

As a coach, if I was interested in his abilities, I would want to put him in a JUCO program with a coach I respected. See how he performs for that year, and then if everything was favorable bring him on.

It would probably be too risky to bring him straight on to the team, unless he is willing to go walk-on, and then maybe. But, he would have to be evaluated pretty thoroughly.

Legend
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 476
    Given: 909

One of the first things you need to look into is how the college courses he took in the big house will affect his eligibility. Will his taking of classes be considered enrolling in a university and did that start his five (to play four) year clock? I honestly don't know.

I've never been a proponent of one strike and you are out. I know if I was held totally accountable for every stupid thing I have ever done, I would have been in a world of hurt. Where I start to have a problem is when someone makes a habit of it.

I hire a lot of people with checkered backgrounds. Sometimes it works out, some times it works out great and other times it doesn't at all.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

Speechless
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 417
    Given: 207

I believe in 2nd chances, and I definitely believe that once someone has served the time for the crimes they committed, it should not be something that follows them the rest of their lives and destroys their other opportunities. Once the punishment is served for the crimes committed, they deserve a new start (unless the crime was just utterly despicable).

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 127
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    He should express those thoughts to coaches, and prove that he has changed. We have all done stupid things in our lives, heck I know I have. While they do not rise to this level, they were stupid.

Showing that he is close to an AA degree will help. Perhaps he could try and walk on at a major school and work to show that he has changed. Volunteer in the community, mentor kids, those things look great to colleges. Most importantly, keep your nose clean, no underage on premises, no petty theft, no possession. No more offensives of any kind. He may get a second chance, but the leash has to be incredibly small.

EDIT: looking at the timeline, is he now 25? Is he even eligible to play anymore?
    Yes he's 25, from my previous conversations with NCAA coaches there is NO age restriction, but I will make sure to double check. I'm pretty sure Chris Weinke was either 27 or 29 when he decided to play. And Ohio St.'s back up QB is pretty aged too. Thanks for your input!!

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by BooneCy View Post
    As a coach, if I was interested in his abilities, I would want to put him in a JUCO program with a coach I respected. See how he performs for that year, and then if everything was favorable bring him on.

It would probably be too risky to bring him straight on to the team, unless he is willing to go walk-on, and then maybe. But, he would have to be evaluated pretty thoroughly.
    Former ISU assistant, Coach Beatty, is at my brother's former JUCO in California. (College of the Sequioas) My Brother Keondric actually played on the team with this individual in 2002 and believes that COS would love to have him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 489
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 620
    Given: 36

I don't see why he wouldn't get a chance somewhere. He's obviously shown that he wants to change, by almost completing an AA while incarcerated.

I think if anything, most sports have shown us that if you have talent, you'll get a shot. He just will have to work harder to prove it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Within the concept of "leaving no stone unturned" in recruiting; it doesn't hurt anything to call the young man and hear his story. That, at least, gets his foot in the door.

If he is commited to playing football at the highest level possible, an offer to walk-on and earn his place on the team would be a show of good faith to a school that his priorities are straight.

Pro
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 6

If I were a coach it would probably depend on the crime. If it were just straight-up robbery or B&E with no violence attached, then I would probably give him a 2nd chance. I mean, if he's just involved in stealing TVs or something like that then its certainly worth the risk. If the crimes were a little more severe, then I would have to think about it.

Overall, I would definitely give him a chance if I were a JuCo coach. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 7

I wonder if with his record "felony", he is eligible to play. I would think he could, given the right situation. Has he used up 2 years of eligibility? Everyone deserves a second chance, he just made a stupid choice, wasn't like he tried to kill anyone. In the right situation, it could be a great opportinity.

On the other hand, maybe he needs to concentrate on getting things put back together before he jumps on to a college campus with just as many influences as before.

No more Rhyming, I mean it.... Anybody want a Peanut?

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

"Cyrocksmypants"?

That's funny! what made you come up with that!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 444
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 27

I think that if he is taking JC courses, he has to get his AA to enroll anywhere...unless he was a full qualifier out of HS. If I were a coach, and he was as good as you say, I would place him at a JUCO nearby with a coach I trusted at a place where there's very little chance of him falling into the wrong crowd again. Maybe Iowa Western, Iowa Central (although Ft Dodge can be a little shady) or the school up in North Dakota. Play one season, get the AA, then it's on to D1 with 4 to play 3.

I wouldn't have any problem giving the kid a shot if he's served his time, gotten his AA and kept his nose clean at JUCO.