Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Embrace the Mountain West if need be

In looking at the worst case scenario, if the big 12 falls apart, I am hoping that there is a clean sweep to the Mountain West. It could be a very good conference, and would end up being a bcs conference in football if the four left overs end up going there. It would be in the teens as far as the number of teams. If they added Boise State, you could have an east division of:
    Baylor/CU
    ISU
    KSU
    KU
    TCU
    CSU
    Airforce

West would be:
    BYU
    Utah
    San Diego State
    UNLV
    Boise St.
    Wyoming
    UNM

First of all, from living in this part of the world, there is a lot passion about there sports. Second, this would be a very strong football league as there have been three different BCS teams from Boise State and the existing MWC. Third, it would be strong in Basketball also. BYU, UNM, and Utah have had very strong programs over the past few years. Basically having us join would raise the bar there, possibly making it a more relevant conference than the Pac 10 in hoops.

Also we would be able to still have connections with some of the big 6 schools that we have been playing for a hundred years.

Also if there is ANY consideration of C USA or MVC it is nuts. No way would it be as strong of a conference as the new MWC would be. Hopefully the powers that be at KU, KSU, and other schools are ready to make this move in solidarity, and help spur the Mtn. West. It would agruably be as strong as the Big East in football, and up there in hoops also.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

Re: Embrace the Mountain West if need be

Quote Originally Posted by idaclone View Post
    In looking at the worst case scenario, if the big 12 falls apart, I am hoping that there is a clean sweep to the Mountain West. It could be a very good conference, and would end up being a bcs conference in football if the four left overs end up going there. It would be in the teens as far as the number of teams. If they added Boise State, you could have an east division of:
    Baylor/CU
    ISU
    KSU
    KU
    TCU
    CSU
    Airforce

West would be:
    BYU
    Utah
    San Diego State
    UNLV
    Boise St.
    Wyoming
    UNM

First of all, from living in this part of the world, there is a lot passion about there sports. Second, this would be a very strong football league as there have been three different BCS teams from Boise State and the existing MWC. Third, it would be strong in Basketball also. BYU, UNM, and Utah have had very strong programs over the past few years. Basically having us join would raise the bar there, possibly making it a more relevant conference than the Pac 10 in hoops.

Also we would be able to still have connections with some of the big 6 schools that we have been playing for a hundred years.

Also if there is ANY consideration of C USA or MVC it is nuts. No way would it be as strong of a conference as the new MWC would be. Hopefully the powers that be at KU, KSU, and other schools are ready to make this move in solidarity, and help spur the Mtn. West. It would agruably be as strong as the Big East in football, and up there in hoops also.
    I dont think going to the MAC or C-USA would by choice

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 863
    Given: 177

That scenario may be the best case scenario for ISU here soon, but it would absolutely kill Iowa State University on so many levels. The ramifications of what is currently going on go far beyond athletics.

Recruit
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 281
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by idaclone View Post
    Baylor/CU
    ISU
    KSU
    KU
    TCU
    CSU
    Airforce

West would be:
    BYU
    Utah
    San Diego State
    UNLV
    Boise St.
    Wyoming
    UNM

At this point, I don't think the Mountain West is the worse case scenario.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 107

If that happened I would love to still call it the Big XII and drop 2 of the following: Colorado State, Wyoming, Air Force, or New Mexico. I'd almost throw San Diego State into that group as well just because of their location but I'm guessing you keep them for that very same reason, San Diego.

"It's appropriate for leaders sometimes to move boldly against the flow of public opinion," she said. "That's called leadership." --- Sarah Swisher (D), Superdelegate, Iowa City

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

ISU as a member of the Mountain West Conference would be far from worst case IMO

I'm on twitter @mookjnsn ... me, not her.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by MookInLincoln View Post
    ISU as a member of the Mountain West Conference would be far from worst case IMO
    There is no guarantee the MWC would be an option. They only need 3 teams to get to 12. There may be 4 B12 teams on the outside looking in, so which one gets left out? My worry is it would be us becuase of geography.

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 38
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90

At this point, the worst case would be that the MWC takes CU, KU, and KSU while ISU gets left behind.

Last edited by Clonehomer; 06-09-2010 at 02:18 PM.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyatheart View Post
    There is no guarantee the MWC would be an option. They only need 3 teams to get to 12. There may be 4 B12 teams on the outside looking in, so which one gets left out? My worry is it would be us becuase of geography.
    You are correct. There is no guarantee the MWC would want ISU. That's why I think there are far worse case scenarios. Unlikely? Probably. Worse? Certainly.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 126

Maybe not, but it would still be devastating to Iowa State University as a whole. Not belonging to a big-time athletic conference affects our recruiting of the best and brightest. Those in our esteemed College of Engineering are already very concerned.
    We no longer could go toe-to-toe with the U of I for the best academic in-state students. In terms of academic prestige, it will be a three-tier state - Iowa at the top, ISU in second, then UNI.
    I am so tired of the "MVC is not so bad" mantra. That is BS.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Maybe not, but it would still be devastating to Iowa State University as a whole. Not belonging to a big-time athletic conference affects our recruiting of the best and brightest. Those in our esteemed College of Engineering are already very concerned.
    We no longer could go toe-to-toe with the U of I for the best academic in-state students. In terms of academic prestige, it will be a three-tier state - Iowa at the top, ISU in second, then UNI.
    I am so tired of the "MVC is not so bad" mantra. That is BS.
    Oh, I'm not saying it doesn't suck ... just would suck less than other outcomes

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It would also be far from a good thing for ISU. Everything about conference realignment has been so focused on the athletic sides of things. Its much more than just that.

Addict
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 675
    Given: 7

I would be completley ok with this scenario. There are schools in this potential league that are competitive on a national level, but it would also create a situation where we are no longer the "whipping boy" of the conference. Ideally, the Big 12 sticks around or we backdoor our way into the Big 10...but if this conference comes into existence I would also be content.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonefan32 View Post
    I would be completley ok with this scenario. There are schools in this potential league that are competitive on a national level, but it would also create a situation where we are no longer the "whipping boy" of the conference. Ideally, the Big 12 sticks around or we backdoor our way into the Big 10...but if this conference comes into existence I would also be content.
    Again, everyone is focusing on the athletic side of things here. Iowa State University loses so so much if it is not in a major conference. The negatives far outweigh any positive light you try to throw on the situation.

Addict
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,137
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 200
    Given: 468

Quote Originally Posted by wonkadog View Post
    If that happened I would love to still call it the Big XII and drop 2 of the following: Colorado State, Wyoming, Air Force, or New Mexico. I'd almost throw San Diego State into that group as well just because of their location but I'm guessing you keep them for that very same reason, San Diego.
    If CU didn't go to the Pac-10 (and probably wouldn't, if Texas schools and OU-OSU become the package deal for the Pac-16), CSU would not be dropped. I couldn't imagine that going over at all in Coloradoland.

I'd keep San Diego State it stretches the conference's geographic reach to the hilt.

I would prefer it doesn't come to joining the MWC (a "merger" of some sort, I could handle and actually, it would almost have to be a 16-team league w/ additions like Memphis and Houston).

Better than CUSA or MAC, though, if I had a gun to my head.

Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire