Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 771,452, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 60.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,789
    Points
    771,452
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 496
    Given: 125

    Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    Here's a theory on one way that Iowa State could possibly sneak into the Big Ten.

    Just a theory but one I think could work...

    Big Ten Talk: Just a theory | Cyclone Fanatic



  2. #2
    All-Star
    Points: 39,872, Level: 61
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    dahliaclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,261
    Points
    39,872
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 89

    Re: Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Here's a theory on one way that Iowa State could possibly sneak into the Big Ten.

    Just a theory but one I think could work...

    Big Ten Talk: Just a theory | Cyclone Fanatic
    My theory on how ISU ends up in the Big Ten for a couple weeks is this: Nebraska, Missouri to Big Ten. Pac 10 raids the Big 12 south causing first superconference of 16. Big Ten, SEC, Big East/ACC won't sit idly by and will all follow suit. Notre Dame gets scared, joins Big Ten. That still leaves two spots for the Big Ten to get to 16. Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse who were once thought to be Big Ten hopefuls are now rethinking things because their current conference now is upping the ante and they may be better off there and choose to hold off on moving to Big Ten. That still leaves two spots for the Big Ten and ISU makes sense at that point.



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 73,167, Level: 84
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,683
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    ItsCyence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Brookings, SD
    Posts
    3,308
    Points
    73,167
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 37

    Re: Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    I agree, it is a very long shot but there is a chance.



  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 9,758, Level: 29
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CycloneJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    756
    Points
    9,758
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

    Re: Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    Does anyone think the Big 10 might just pick up the remaining members of the Big 12? Maybe after Mizzou and Nebraska it makes sense to get ISU, KU, and KSU. Now obviously I left out Rutgers, mostly because I'm hoping for the best. But seriously, what do people think?



  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 38,708, Level: 60
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 342
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    4,059
    Points
    38,708
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

    Re: Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    even if ND and Neb joined, it is still about TV sets unfortunately.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 36,444, Level: 58
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    helechopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,873
    Points
    36,444
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 57

    Re: Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    This speculation and wishing is akin to the whole Harrison Barnes hysteria that engulfed Cyclone Nation just a few months back. It's funny how when you want something so bad you actually start to believe it will happen, like Barnes going to ISU. But, when the hammer drops, you realize just how thick the fog of wishful thinking is that was surrounding you.

    Everyone is looking for an angle, myself included, but the reality is that if ISU were in the mix for joining the BigTen we would have heard some rumblings by now. Ames is too small of a community to not catch wind of an overture from the BigTen.

    These are potentially dark time for ISU, but I still have a lot of faith in our university president and our athletic director. Regardless of how things shake out I think ISU will be in maybe not the most optimal position, but still one of some comfort. And regardless of who is across the goal line from our team, I'll still commute to Ames to watch football and basketball games with my friends and family. I love ISU.


    Last edited by helechopper; 06-09-2010 at 11:09 AM.

  7. #7
    Addict
    Points: 65,805, Level: 79
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 645
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    5,116
    Points
    65,805
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 142
    Given: 37

    Re: Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    let's not get my hopes up.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 467,694, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,614
    Points
    467,694
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 465
    Given: 320

    Re: Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneJames View Post
    Does anyone think the Big 10 might just pick up the remaining members of the Big 12? Maybe after Mizzou and Nebraska it makes sense to get ISU, KU, and KSU. Now obviously I left out Rutgers, mostly because I'm hoping for the best. But seriously, what do people think?
    Big 10 won't pick up KSU because it's a Tier-3 school, and it's been regularly debated whether Kansas legislation would allow KU to separate itself from KSU to join the Big 10.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  9. #9
    Pro
    Points: 59,829, Level: 75
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 221
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    DRCHIRO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Norwalk
    Posts
    2,206
    Points
    59,829
    Level
    75
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

    Re: Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    If academics are going to truly play a role in expansion, K State has zero chance of finding its way into the Big 10.

    Good blog CW



  10. #10
    All-Star
    Points: 39,872, Level: 61
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    dahliaclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,261
    Points
    39,872
    Level
    61
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 89

    Re: Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonepower View Post
    even if ND and Neb joined, it is still about TV sets unfortunately.
    Not as much if they get both Neb and ND. They would have their big boys and if they need to get to 16, which could happen, ISU makes more sense than a lot.



  11. #11
    Pro
    Points: 103,918, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    vmbplayer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    3,447
    Points
    103,918
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

    Re: Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneJames View Post
    Does anyone think the Big 10 might just pick up the remaining members of the Big 12? Maybe after Mizzou and Nebraska it makes sense to get ISU, KU, and KSU. Now obviously I left out Rutgers, mostly because I'm hoping for the best. But seriously, what do people think?
    KSU doesn't cut it from an academic standpoint. I don't see the Big 10 presidents going for it. They aren't a member of the AAU. The others I can see as possible.


    "Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

  12. #12
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Big 10 won't pick up KSU because it's a Tier-3 school, and it's been regularly debated whether Kansas legislation would allow KU to separate itself from KSU to join the Big 10.
    At this point I'm inclined to think that many state legistatures are going to say "better one than none".

    Texas (more than one clearly) cutting loose Baylor, Iowa isn't likely to do much for Iowa State - certainly not play hardball with UofI's fate, debatable if Kansas will still hold KU & KSU together. Rather different situation, but worth mentioning - I don't see any talk of CSU going with CU to the PAC 10.


    Last edited by DaddyMac; 06-09-2010 at 11:13 AM.

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 64,904, Level: 79
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,546
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,997
    Points
    64,904
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

    Re: Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    Chris, the Big 10 actually has seven land-grant universities:

    UIUC
    Purdue
    MSU
    Minnesota
    Ohio State
    Penn State
    Wisconsin



  14. #14
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 107,800, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    3,945
    Points
    107,800
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 169
    Given: 133

    Re: Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Here's a theory on one way that Iowa State could possibly sneak into the Big Ten.

    Just a theory but one I think could work...

    Big Ten Talk: Just a theory | Cyclone Fanatic
    I agree it's a long shot. But I also think it's possible the AD's may have to compromise with the presidents to get what they want. That may mean throwing them an "academic bone," and ISU would look pretty good in that regard.



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 206,471, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    MNCyGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,420
    Points
    206,471
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 340
    Given: 221

    Re: Big Ten Talk: Just a theory

    Quote Originally Posted by helechopper View Post
    This speculation and wishing is akin to the whole Harrison Barnes hysteria that engulfed Cyclone Nation just a few months back. It's funny how when you want something so bad you actually start to believe it will happen, like Barnes going to ISU. But, when the hammer drops, you realize just how thick the fog of wishful thinking is that was surrounding you.

    Everyone is looking for an angle, myself included, but the reality is that if ISU were in the mix for joining the BigTen we would have heard some rumblings by now. Ames is too small of a community to not catch wind of an overture from the BigTen.

    These are potentially dark time for ISU, but I still have a lot of faith in our university president and our athletic director. Regardless of how things shake out I think ISU will be in maybe not the most optimal position, but still one of some comfort. And regardless of who is across the goal line from our team, I'll still commute to Ames to watch football and basketball games with my friends and family. I love ISU.
    We are still talking about Jamie "The Shadow" Pollard and I think to some extent he takes his cue to be secretive from Geoffrey. I think if it was LIKELY we were getting an invite you'd have heard rumblings, but if it's just possible those two would have kept it under wraps.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM