Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
  1. #1
    Cyclone42
    Guest

    ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    The proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back, the snow flake that causes the avalanche. In this case, the straw or snow flake was a back room deal negotiated at the recent Big 12 meetings between the north and south schools. The deal was for the football championship game to be held in Dallas through 2012 in return for holding the basketball tournaments (men's and women's) in Kansas City through 2014.

    From what I've been able to gather, ISU's athletic department strongly supported this deal. For good reason, since when we are competitive, we can draw such a strong following to KC that it becomes "Hilton South", while we've NEVER been a part of the football conference title game. But, it had the (perhaps unintended) effect of further alienating Tom Osborn, since Nebraska is the only north school that gets no benefits at all from this deal. Osborn badly wants the football title game held in KC once in a while.



  2. #2
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 9,422, Level: 29
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    336
    Points
    9,422
    Level
    29
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 20

    Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    More eyeballs means more $$$ for EVERY school in the BigXII. IMHO, There is just more TV revenue for a game broadcast out of DALLAS. AND more people that can will go if it is at Texas Stadium.


    Very important lesson learned... NEVER pass up the opportunity to acquire a bottle of Templeton Rye... NEVER.

  3. #3
    Walk On
    Points: 8,406, Level: 27
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    sheldon
    Posts
    145
    Points
    8,406
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    give us all all a break.

    as if ISU could do ANYTHING to have changed the way events have transpired, and
    therefore ought to take a little heat for the way her (ISU's) fortunes have gone.

    Maybe, just maybe, If good ole unca Tom could only have gotten **** like partial
    qualifiers etc out of his craw, and if, -just once- he would have voted FOR things
    like revenue sharing et all, some of his "???brothers????" in the Big XII North
    would have voted more his way once and a while.

    Nope. This deal, if and when it goes down has damn little to do with anything the
    ISU's of the world did, and EVERYTHING to do with the ******* blockhead in
    Lincoln.

    and by the way, this is where I usually say peace or some drivel like that right?

    well screw peace, I want some blood on the grass.

    Chet, dunno there's anything can be done from Des Moines, but if YOU really think
    there's something you can do to help Iowa State, it most likely isn't going to get
    done from your cushy spot in Terrace Hill. If you want to have a hand in all this,
    you need to bring the war to them.

    And to all you whiner and ********, get your ***** off this damn forum for a second
    why don't you? Instead of moping and groping, call someone, even if a senator or
    congressman can't do anything, it's a heluva lot better than sitting here and
    doing nothing. Who knows, just maybe the state of Minnesota has a lake dredged out or
    something that Chuck Grassley or Tom Harkin can get thrown out of a pork barrel
    project somewhere. WHO KNOW'S UNLESS YOU TRY?

    There's a reason why the Baylor's of the world get things they want. It's because
    they got the BALLS to demand it.

    Even if we are just little ole ISU and have no sway, that doesn't mean we shouldn't
    try.

    The only reason ISU should take a little heat is if we all just sit here and ***** all
    day and do nothing.

    So, what's it going to be? We know we may have lost, but does that mean we're
    just gonna lay down and die?

    screw. the. peace.

    make.war.

    moo.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    The proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back, the snow flake that causes the avalanche. In this case, the straw or snow flake was a back room deal negotiated at the recent Big 12 meetings between the north and south schools. The deal was for the football championship game to be held in Dallas through 2012 in return for holding the basketball tournaments (men's and women's) in Kansas City through 2014.

    From what I've been able to gather, ISU's athletic department strongly supported this deal. For good reason, since when we are competitive, we can draw such a strong following to KC that it becomes "Hilton South", while we've NEVER been a part of the football conference title game. But, it had the (perhaps unintended) effect of further alienating Tom Osborn, since Nebraska is the only north school that gets no benefits at all from this deal. Osborn badly wants the football title game held in KC once in a while.


    Last edited by LindenCy; 06-09-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Multiple filter avoidances

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 26,010, Level: 49
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    ornryactor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    2,633
    Points
    26,010
    Level
    49
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    Quote Originally Posted by moo-u View Post
    give us all all a break.

    as if ISU could do ANYTHING to have changed the way events have transpired, and
    therefore ought to take a little heat for the way her (ISU's) fortunes have gone.

    Maybe, just maybe, If good ole unca Tom could only have gotten **** like partial
    qualifiers etc out of his craw, and if, -just once- he would have voted FOR things
    like revenue sharing et all, some of his "???brothers????" in the Big XII North
    would have voted more his way once and a while.

    Nope. This deal, if and when it goes down has damn little to do with anything the
    ISU's of the world did, and EVERYTHING to do with the ******* blockhead in
    Lincoln.

    and by the way, this is where I usually say peace or some drivel like that right?

    well screw peace, I want some blood on the grass.

    Chet, dunno there's anything can be done from Des Moines, but if YOU really think
    there's something you can do to help Iowa State, it most likely isn't going to get
    done from your cushy spot in Terrace Hill. If you want to have a hand in all this,
    you need to bring the war to them.

    And to all you whiner and ********, get your ***** off this damn forum for a second
    why don't you? Instead of moping and groping, call someone, even if a senator or
    congressman can't do anything, it's a heluva lot better than sitting here and
    doing nothing. Who knows, just maybe the state of Minnesota has a lake dredged out or
    something that Chuck Grassley or Tom Harkin can get thrown out of a pork barrel
    project somewhere. WHO KNOW'S UNLESS YOU TRY?

    There's a reason why the Baylor's of the world get things they want. It's because
    they got the BALLS to demand it.

    Even if we are just little ole ISU and have no sway, that doesn't mean we shouldn't
    try.

    The only reason ISU should take a little heat is if we all just sit here and ***** all
    day and do nothing.

    So, what's it going to be? We know we may have lost, but does that mean we're
    just gonna lay down and die?

    screw. the. peace.

    make.war.

    moo.


    Last edited by LindenCy; 06-09-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Quoted Filter Avoidance
    True and Valiant

    I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

    God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 119,458, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jsmith86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Tulsa
    Posts
    6,193
    Points
    119,458
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    I didn't read any of the posts in this thread, but I stayed at a holiday inn express last night, so I don't have to. What I do have to do is say that ISU is not responsible for this, Gene C***** is.


    ____________________________________

    You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 467,729, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jdoggivjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Sterling Heights, MI
    Posts
    31,624
    Points
    467,729
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 321

    Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    I agree that ISU is partially responsible for this - had we just accepted the Big 10 invite 60 years ago when it was offered (the one that was created when the U of Chicago bailed and MSU took them up on), we wouldn't be worried about getting left out in the cold now.


    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,700, Level: 76
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    3,844
    Points
    60,700
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 4

    Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I agree that ISU is partially responsible for this - had we just accepted the Big 10 invite 60 years ago when it was offered (the one that was created when the U of Chicago bailed and MSU took them up on), we wouldn't be worried about getting left out in the cold now.
    ISU lost this a long time ago. In the late 7o's ISU had a new football stadium, hilton was still pretty new. Iowa was terrible at football, ISU was really good. ISU was ahed in every way. Then ISU went in a 20 year spiral in football and that had a dramatic impact on how people from the outside percieved ISU and drove the athletic program into the ground. We have been trying to dig out of that hole ever since and it is killing us now. Should have never come to this and it is sad.



  8. #8
    Starter
    Points: 12,857, Level: 34
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 493
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    651
    Points
    12,857
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    Quote Originally Posted by khehr View Post
    More eyeballs means more $$$ for EVERY school in the BigXII. IMHO, There is just more TV revenue for a game broadcast out of DALLAS. AND more people that can will go if it is at Texas Stadium.
    Texas Stadium no longer exists.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 92,713, Level: 94
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Frak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Dow City, IA
    Posts
    5,564
    Points
    92,713
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 28

    Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    The proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back, the snow flake that causes the avalanche. In this case, the straw or snow flake was a back room deal negotiated at the recent Big 12 meetings between the north and south schools. The deal was for the football championship game to be held in Dallas through 2012 in return for holding the basketball tournaments (men's and women's) in Kansas City through 2014.

    From what I've been able to gather, ISU's athletic department strongly supported this deal. For good reason, since when we are competitive, we can draw such a strong following to KC that it becomes "Hilton South", while we've NEVER been a part of the football conference title game. But, it had the (perhaps unintended) effect of further alienating Tom Osborn, since Nebraska is the only north school that gets no benefits at all from this deal. Osborn badly wants the football title game held in KC once in a while.
    That vote was 11-1. Nebraska fans want to play this like they are the only one who stood up to Texas and all the rest of us just bent over. Well, MAYBE if they weren't so selfish and changed their vote on revenue sharing (which every other North team wanted), they'd have some backers. Why is it that Nebraska can be out for itself, yet expect solidarity from everyone else??

    Looking at the championship games from an ISU perspective, let's see:
    1.Arrowhead vs the Jerry Dome - Dallas is clearly better.
    2.Weather - Dallas is clearly better.
    3.Recruiting - Dallas is clearly better.
    4.Distance - KC is closer for all of the North, but Dallas is still driving distance.

    It just seems logical to me that KC have the BB tourney and Dallas get the FB game. I think that it seemed logical to everyone else as well...except for Nebraska. Of course, that's because they care more about Creighton basketball than their own team.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 36,387, Level: 58
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 263
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    drmwevr08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    3,436
    Points
    36,387
    Level
    58
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

    Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I agree that ISU is partially responsible for this - had we just accepted the Big 10 invite 60 years ago when it was offered (the one that was created when the U of Chicago bailed and MSU took them up on), we wouldn't be worried about getting left out in the cold now.
    I'll bet the message boards were abuzz about that decision



  11. #11
    Rookie
    Points: 10,058, Level: 30
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 492
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    462
    Points
    10,058
    Level
    30
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

    Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    The new Cowboys stadium is the best facility in the world. The whole freaking world. How do you not play in that when it is in your backyard? I am so sick of nebr fans saying "you didn't support us in this". Nebr went along with TX when it mattered, revenue sharing. That is a much bigger issue. The fact that nebr is so petty in that they can't stand someone might better and gets more attention than them to decide to leave makes me sick.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 64,904, Level: 79
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,546
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,997
    Points
    64,904
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 8

    Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    I'll bet the message boards were abuzz about that decision
    I heard the telegraph and Western Union peeps could hardly keep up with all the chatter.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 262,980, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,432
    Points
    262,980
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 556

    Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    That vote was 11-1. Nebraska fans want to play this like they are the only one who stood up to Texas and all the rest of us just bent over. Well, MAYBE if they weren't so selfish and changed their vote on revenue sharing (which every other North team wanted), they'd have some backers. Why is it that Nebraska can be out for itself, yet expect solidarity from everyone else??

    **** NEBRASKA!!!!!!!!



  14. #14
    Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    DaddyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    14,375
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    See, this is what happens when you beat Nebraska at home.....



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 391,469, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,144
    Points
    391,469
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 260

    Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

    Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I agree that ISU is partially responsible for this - had we just accepted the Big 10 invite 60 years ago when it was offered (the one that was created when the U of Chicago bailed and MSU took them up on), we wouldn't be worried about getting left out in the cold now.
    Damn, now I find out. We could have had a huge letter writing campaign. We were Pop Warner trained.


    CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM