Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cyclone42

ISU is partly responsible for all of this

The proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back, the snow flake that causes the avalanche. In this case, the straw or snow flake was a back room deal negotiated at the recent Big 12 meetings between the north and south schools. The deal was for the football championship game to be held in Dallas through 2012 in return for holding the basketball tournaments (men's and women's) in Kansas City through 2014.

From what I've been able to gather, ISU's athletic department strongly supported this deal. For good reason, since when we are competitive, we can draw such a strong following to KC that it becomes "Hilton South", while we've NEVER been a part of the football conference title game. But, it had the (perhaps unintended) effect of further alienating Tom Osborn, since Nebraska is the only north school that gets no benefits at all from this deal. Osborn badly wants the football title game held in KC once in a while.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 22

Re: ISU is partly responsible for all of this

More eyeballs means more $$$ for EVERY school in the BigXII. IMHO, There is just more TV revenue for a game broadcast out of DALLAS. AND more people that can will go if it is at Texas Stadium.

Very important lesson learned... NEVER pass up the opportunity to acquire a bottle of Templeton Rye... NEVER.

Walk On
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 420
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

give us all all a break.

as if ISU could do ANYTHING to have changed the way events have transpired, and
    therefore ought to take a little heat for the way her (ISU's) fortunes have gone.

Maybe, just maybe, If good ole unca Tom could only have gotten **** like partial
    qualifiers etc out of his craw, and if, -just once- he would have voted FOR things
    like revenue sharing et all, some of his "???brothers????" in the Big XII North
    would have voted more his way once and a while.

Nope. This deal, if and when it goes down has damn little to do with anything the
    ISU's of the world did, and EVERYTHING to do with the ******* blockhead in
    Lincoln.

and by the way, this is where I usually say peace or some drivel like that right?

well screw peace, I want some blood on the grass.

Chet, dunno there's anything can be done from Des Moines, but if YOU really think
    there's something you can do to help Iowa State, it most likely isn't going to get
    done from your cushy spot in Terrace Hill. If you want to have a hand in all this,
    you need to bring the war to them.

And to all you whiner and ********, get your ***** off this damn forum for a second
    why don't you? Instead of moping and groping, call someone, even if a senator or
    congressman can't do anything, it's a heluva lot better than sitting here and
    doing nothing. Who knows, just maybe the state of Minnesota has a lake dredged out or
    something that Chuck Grassley or Tom Harkin can get thrown out of a pork barrel
    project somewhere. WHO KNOW'S UNLESS YOU TRY?

There's a reason why the Baylor's of the world get things they want. It's because
    they got the BALLS to demand it.

Even if we are just little ole ISU and have no sway, that doesn't mean we shouldn't
    try.

The only reason ISU should take a little heat is if we all just sit here and ***** all
    day and do nothing.

So, what's it going to be? We know we may have lost, but does that mean we're
    just gonna lay down and die?

screw. the. peace.

make.war.

moo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    The proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back, the snow flake that causes the avalanche. In this case, the straw or snow flake was a back room deal negotiated at the recent Big 12 meetings between the north and south schools. The deal was for the football championship game to be held in Dallas through 2012 in return for holding the basketball tournaments (men's and women's) in Kansas City through 2014.

From what I've been able to gather, ISU's athletic department strongly supported this deal. For good reason, since when we are competitive, we can draw such a strong following to KC that it becomes "Hilton South", while we've NEVER been a part of the football conference title game. But, it had the (perhaps unintended) effect of further alienating Tom Osborn, since Nebraska is the only north school that gets no benefits at all from this deal. Osborn badly wants the football title game held in KC once in a while.

Last edited by LindenCy; 06-09-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Multiple filter avoidances

Pro
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 540
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by moo-u View Post
    give us all all a break.

as if ISU could do ANYTHING to have changed the way events have transpired, and
    therefore ought to take a little heat for the way her (ISU's) fortunes have gone.

Maybe, just maybe, If good ole unca Tom could only have gotten **** like partial
    qualifiers etc out of his craw, and if, -just once- he would have voted FOR things
    like revenue sharing et all, some of his "???brothers????" in the Big XII North
    would have voted more his way once and a while.

Nope. This deal, if and when it goes down has damn little to do with anything the
    ISU's of the world did, and EVERYTHING to do with the ******* blockhead in
    Lincoln.

and by the way, this is where I usually say peace or some drivel like that right?

well screw peace, I want some blood on the grass.

Chet, dunno there's anything can be done from Des Moines, but if YOU really think
    there's something you can do to help Iowa State, it most likely isn't going to get
    done from your cushy spot in Terrace Hill. If you want to have a hand in all this,
    you need to bring the war to them.

And to all you whiner and ********, get your ***** off this damn forum for a second
    why don't you? Instead of moping and groping, call someone, even if a senator or
    congressman can't do anything, it's a heluva lot better than sitting here and
    doing nothing. Who knows, just maybe the state of Minnesota has a lake dredged out or
    something that Chuck Grassley or Tom Harkin can get thrown out of a pork barrel
    project somewhere. WHO KNOW'S UNLESS YOU TRY?

There's a reason why the Baylor's of the world get things they want. It's because
    they got the BALLS to demand it.

Even if we are just little ole ISU and have no sway, that doesn't mean we shouldn't
    try.

The only reason ISU should take a little heat is if we all just sit here and ***** all
    day and do nothing.

So, what's it going to be? We know we may have lost, but does that mean we're
    just gonna lay down and die?

screw. the. peace.

make.war.

moo.

Last edited by LindenCy; 06-09-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: Quoted Filter Avoidance
    True and Valiant

I also remember a game with Kansas when Cy (wore a huge suit then) went out to center field, squatted, and "pooped" a couple of chickens that had been dyed blue then chased them around.
    Quote Originally Posted by DJK15

God I hope so, even if it's not the right thing to do, KF needs to do it.
    Victory before honor.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I didn't read any of the posts in this thread, but I stayed at a holiday inn express last night, so I don't have to. What I do have to do is say that ISU is not responsible for this, Gene C***** is.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 699
    Given: 481

I agree that ISU is partially responsible for this - had we just accepted the Big 10 invite 60 years ago when it was offered (the one that was created when the U of Chicago bailed and MSU took them up on), we wouldn't be worried about getting left out in the cold now.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 716
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I agree that ISU is partially responsible for this - had we just accepted the Big 10 invite 60 years ago when it was offered (the one that was created when the U of Chicago bailed and MSU took them up on), we wouldn't be worried about getting left out in the cold now.
    ISU lost this a long time ago. In the late 7o's ISU had a new football stadium, hilton was still pretty new. Iowa was terrible at football, ISU was really good. ISU was ahed in every way. Then ISU went in a 20 year spiral in football and that had a dramatic impact on how people from the outside percieved ISU and drove the athletic program into the ground. We have been trying to dig out of that hole ever since and it is killing us now. Should have never come to this and it is sad.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by khehr View Post
    More eyeballs means more $$$ for EVERY school in the BigXII. IMHO, There is just more TV revenue for a game broadcast out of DALLAS. AND more people that can will go if it is at Texas Stadium.
    Texas Stadium no longer exists.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 43

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post

That vote was 11-1. Nebraska fans want to play this like they are the only one who stood up to Texas and all the rest of us just bent over. Well, MAYBE if they weren't so selfish and changed their vote on revenue sharing (which every other North team wanted), they'd have some backers. Why is it that Nebraska can be out for itself, yet expect solidarity from everyone else??

Looking at the championship games from an ISU perspective, let's see:
    1.Arrowhead vs the Jerry Dome - Dallas is clearly better.
    2.Weather - Dallas is clearly better.
    3.Recruiting - Dallas is clearly better.
    4.Distance - KC is closer for all of the North, but Dallas is still driving distance.

It just seems logical to me that KC have the BB tourney and Dallas get the FB game. I think that it seemed logical to everyone else as well...except for Nebraska. Of course, that's because they care more about Creighton basketball than their own team.

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 5

I'll bet the message boards were abuzz about that decision

Rookie
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 324
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 2

The new Cowboys stadium is the best facility in the world. The whole freaking world. How do you not play in that when it is in your backyard? I am so sick of nebr fans saying "you didn't support us in this". Nebr went along with TX when it mattered, revenue sharing. That is a much bigger issue. The fact that nebr is so petty in that they can't stand someone might better and gets more attention than them to decide to leave makes me sick.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by drmwevr08 View Post
    I'll bet the message boards were abuzz about that decision
    I heard the telegraph and Western Union peeps could hardly keep up with all the chatter.

Legend
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 602

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    That vote was 11-1. Nebraska fans want to play this like they are the only one who stood up to Texas and all the rest of us just bent over. Well, MAYBE if they weren't so selfish and changed their vote on revenue sharing (which every other North team wanted), they'd have some backers. Why is it that Nebraska can be out for itself, yet expect solidarity from everyone else??

**** NEBRASKA!!!!!!!!

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

See, this is what happens when you beat Nebraska at home.....

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 545
    Given: 345

Damn, now I find out. We could have had a huge letter writing campaign. We were Pop Warner trained.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.