Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 255
    Given: 100

Why isn't anyone talking about a new Big 12?

I've seen it mentioned a few times on this board but no one is talking about this locally or nationally. It takes 9 votes to dissolve buyouts, the conference, etc correct? If that's the case, there will be at least 4 "no" votes requiring a buyout and conference dissolution.

Won't there be a Big 12 (albeit with 4 teams) no matter what the Pac-6 or the 2 Big 10 teams decide to do?

And can't ISU, KSU, KU, and Baylor/CU invite 8 other teams (from the MWC or Big East or wherever) to form a "new" Big 12?

Pro
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 0

Re: Why isn't anyone talking about a new Big 12?

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post
    I've seen it mentioned a few times on this board but no one is talking about this locally or nationally. It takes 9 votes to dissolve buyouts, the conference, etc correct? If that's the case, there will be at least 4 "no" votes requiring a buyout and conference dissolution.

Won't there be a Big 12 (albeit with 4 teams) no matter what the Pac-6 or the 2 Big 10 teams decide to do?

And can't ISU, KSU, KU, and Baylor/CU invite 8 other teams (from the MWC or Big East or wherever) to form a "new" Big 12?
    As some other poster said the other day: but there is no panic and fear in that post, so I hate it.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 2

There's been a ton of talk about the MWC coming to the Big 12, but I imagine the logistics are pretty difficult getting other teams to agree if the "8" are unknown.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,752
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 167
    Given: 45

Someone on one of the ESPN football blogs said that overtures to some of the MWC teams may have been made.

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneworld View Post

If it were to come to that, yes, I believe you are correct. And the four remaining schools would get a bunch of $$$ from our former conference rivals, which would help make the loss of TV revenue a little easier to take. If we end up in that situation, I'd like to see us take take some teams from the MWC and WAC (Utah, BYU, Boise, TCU, and either CSU or Air Force) along with Louisville, Memphis, and Cincinnati.

It could be a pretty good conference football-wise (national powers TCU and BSU, BYU and Utah in the top 25 quite a bit, and ISU, KSU, KU, L-Ville, Air Force, and Cinci have all had good teams recently). In basketball you'd have traditional powers Kansas and Louisville, three other currently very good teams in Memphis, Baylor, and K-State, although they haven't been as good lately both Cinci and Utah have some good tradition, BYU has a pretty good team, and ISU has been capable of producing good teams.

Maybe it wouldn't be as prestigious as the Big 12 of today, but I would be happy with that conference.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 284
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14

Quote Originally Posted by gwoodclone View Post
    If it were to come to that, yes, I believe you are correct. And the four remaining schools would get a bunch of $$$ from our former conference rivals, which would help make the loss of TV revenue a little easier to take. If we end up in that situation, I'd like to see us take take some teams from the MWC and WAC (Utah, BYU, Boise, TCU, and either CSU or Air Force) along with Louisville, Memphis, and Cincinnati.

It could be a pretty good conference football-wise (national powers TCU and BSU, BYU and Utah in the top 25 quite a bit, and ISU, KSU, KU, L-Ville, Air Force, and Cinci have all had good teams recently). In basketball you'd have traditional powers Kansas and Louisville, three other currently very good teams in Memphis, Baylor, and K-State, although they haven't been as good lately both Cinci and Utah have some good tradition, BYU has a pretty good team, and ISU has been capable of producing good teams.

Maybe it wouldn't be as prestigious as the Big 12 of today, but I would be happy with that conference.
    The money will only make up for one year's worth of tv revenues. What about after that?

Addict
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 49

And we should be able to maintain being a bcs AQ which would be attractive to several schools.

Boise st, tcu, utah

I say let them leave, rebuild it better with a more fair revenue sharing agreement and lock up a sweet tv deal.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 302

We also could lower our academic entry standards to let Cincy in.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Cycloneworld, I think you are correct that the 4 other teams could veto dissolution and get a boost of revenue from this year. I'm not sure if the subsequent joining of another conference by the 4 leftovers would negate the buyout or not. I believe the universities leaving the Big 12 would forfeit half of their Big 12 revenue, so the remaining schools would get approximately a years worth of TV revenue. The 8 teams might also put together a buy-out package for less money under the insistence that fighting the by-law would result in court fees and time.

gwoodclone, that would be a good conference, but first Louisville will be taken by the ACC or SEC. They offer too much in revenue to be left out of the expansion game. Second, you would really spread out the conference which would hurt non-revenue sports due to travel costs. I could definitely see a MWC / WAC (Boise State) / C-USA (Memphis & Houston) / Big 12 leftovers conference forming.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

In basketball you'd have traditional powers Kansas and Louisville, three other currently very good teams in Memphis, Baylor, and K-State, although they haven't been as good lately both Cinci and Utah have some good tradition, BYU has a pretty good team, and ISU has been capable of producing good teams..
    I get the feeling that Basketball is a step-child in this ugly divorce, no one seems to care

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Incyte View Post
    Someone on one of the ESPN football blogs said that overtures to some of the MWC teams may have been made.

I looked for this and couldn't find it. Can you link to this?

For "I", for "S", forever!
    For Iowa State all the way.
    Let's go! To show them what the gang's all here for,
    Go! To show them how the Cyclones cheer.
    For "I", for "S", forever!
    For Iowa State do it right!
    It's time to climb up on the vict'ry wagon,
    Fight! Iowa State, Fight! Fight!

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

form a new midlands conference:
    baylor
    a and m
    arkansas,
    memphis
    ku
    kansas state
    tcu
    smu
    iowa state
    colorado state
    wyoming
    airforce

doc

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Here is my opinion as posted on another thread.

Let be serious folks. NU and MU are not going east. They will be bumped by Pitt and another eastern large mkt university. NU can pack the stadium, but has limited number of TVs. Mizzo has the TV mkt but have been the last pick for Big 12 bowl games for one reason - limited fan base and too much competition in their mkt. The TVs are tuned elsewhere. This will soon be clear; TX will drop the PAC 10 beer talk and Big 12 will invite 4 new teams and we go to 16. CU can take a hike for all I care.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 359
    Given: 107

Take the Big 12 leftovers, combine them with the Big East and best of the MWC.

That's a very solid conference.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 727
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by woodie View Post
    form a new midlands conference:
    baylor
    a and m
    arkansas,
    memphis
    ku
    kansas state
    tcu
    smu
    iowa state
    colorado state
    wyoming
    airforce
    I agree that instead of thinking about us joining the MWC, the 3/4 remaining Big 12 schools should consider being the foundation of a new conference by stealing MWC schools like TCU, BYU, AFA, CSU, and Utah (if not Pac 10); and C-USA schools such as Tulsa, SMU, Memphis and Houston.

I doubt Arkansas or A&M would ever be in play. In some ways, Baylor getting screwed over by CU may not be that bad since Baylor, TCU, Houston, SMU would give this new conference some needed Texas exposure.

I am 100% certain that KU, KSU and ISU have had this type of discussion.

One of the biggest hangups with this type of approach is that KU will throw a fit since there are not hardly any upper tier MBB programs in this list of schools, except Memphis and BYU.

ISU
    KSU
    KU
    Baylor/CU
    BYU/Utah
    TCU
    AFA
    CSU
    SMU
    Houston
    Memphis
    Tulsa