Cyclone42

Could Congress get involved in this?

I can easily see things happening this way: if the political powers in Texas succeed in forcing the Pac-10 to take Baylor over Colorado, I can see the governor of Colorado asking the U.S. Senators from that state to look into the matter. This could result in a federal investigation into all of these matters by Congress. Even the threat of a federal investigation would likely have the effect of throwing cold water on a camp fire, totally derailing everything. Especially since this is, after all, and election year, and this is Republican legislators from a red state shafting a state school from a blue state.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 291
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 9

Re: Could Congress get involved in this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    I can easily see things happening this way: if the political powers in Texas succeed in forcing the Pac-10 to take Baylor over Colorado, I can see the governor of Colorado asking the U.S. Senators from that state to look into the matter. This could result in a federal investigation into all of these matters by Congress. Even the threat of a federal investigation would likely have the effect of throwing cold water on a camp fire, totally derailing everything. Especially since this is, after all, and election year, and this is Republican legislators from a red state shafting a state school from a blue state.
    Seems like they have better things to do. So it likely will become their top priority.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Could Congress get involved in this?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    2 Colorado Senators and 7 reps vs the... 12 senators and 112 reps that the Pac-whatever will have? Yeah, good chance of them winning when the Pac will control about 1/4 of the politicians in congress. Add to that the roughly 90 reps and 16 senators that will be in Big 10 states who probably won't want to do anything and you are talking 46% of the house of representatives and 56% of the senators of the US. With those types of numbers, we can just about give up on any congressional help...unless congress wants to tax athletics, that is.

You can't die. That would upset the equilibrium in the Cave.
    Warning: Posts contain 98% post-sarcastic content.
    Hoiball