Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 102

Is Iowa State a 2nd Class Citizen?

The last thing we need is the 10 millionth post on the realignment topic. Justin Bieber is jealous of the play this has gotten. But, here's an angle I haven't heard.

I understand Iowa State is at a disadvantage in the grand scheme of things and it's probably a losing battle to fight that perception. That said one thing that has bothered me is the idea that Iowa State is a "second class citizen" in comparison to Nebraska.

Going by the consensus criteria by people smarter than I, past "performance" means nothing and it is all about TV sets and $$$.

To compare: Nebraska has a population of 1.75 million. Iowa has a population of 3 million.

Nebraska has an enrollment of 24,000. Iowa State has an enrollment of 28,000 and logically more alumni.

Nebraska was ranked #96th in the latest US News and World Report National University ranking, Iowa State #88.

I do understand that Nebraska is the "only game in town," but is picking up the Omaha market (#76 nationally) significant? Des Moines/Ames is #71 for comparison.

Financially, Nebraska generated $5 million in athletic contributions (donations) in 08-09. Iowa State generated $12 million.

The big edge for Nebraska is in ticket sales $34 million compared to $11 million for Iowa State in 08-09. But a prospective conference wouldn't see much, if any, of a school's individual ticket revenue I don't believe.

Again, without taking into account performance at all, it doesn't seem like Iowa State is THAT far behind Nebraska. Not trying to be confrontational, just food for thought.

Texas on the other hand is on a separate planet.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Is Iowa State a 2nd Class Citizen?

Nebraska had less than half the donations that ISU did?

I find that extremely hard to believe.

All-Star
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,121
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Waiting to hear Sportstalkmatt's reply...

Brett Blume
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 102

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Nebraska had less than half the donations that ISU did?

I find that extremely hard to believe.
    Me too. But it's true according to this table from USATODAY

USA TODAY database: What NCAA schools spend on athletics - USATODAY.com

Click each school and look under Contributions.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 94

Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post
    The last thing we need is the 10 millionth post on the realignment topic. Justin Bieber is jealous of the play this has gotten. But, here's an angle I haven't heard.

I understand Iowa State is at a disadvantage in the grand scheme of things and it's probably a losing battle to fight that perception. That said one thing that has bothered me is the idea that Iowa State is a "second class citizen" in comparison to Nebraska.

Going by the consensus criteria by people smarter than I, past "performance" means nothing and it is all about TV sets and $$$.

To compare: Nebraska has a population of 1.75 million. Iowa has a population of 3 million.

Nebraska has an enrollment of 24,000. Iowa State has an enrollment of 28,000 and logically more alumni.

Nebraska was ranked #96th in the latest US News and World Report National University ranking, Iowa State #88.

I do understand that Nebraska is the "only game in town," but is picking up the Omaha market (#76 nationally) significant? Des Moines/Ames is #71 for comparison.

Financially, Nebraska generated $5 million in athletic contributions (donations) in 08-09. Iowa State generated $12 million.

The big edge for Nebraska is in ticket sales $34 million compared to $11 million for Iowa State in 08-09. But a prospective conference wouldn't see much, if any, of a school's individual ticket revenue I don't believe.

Again, without taking into account performance at all, it doesn't seem like Iowa State is THAT far behind Nebraska. Not trying to be confrontational, just food for thought.

Great research, and good finds, geographically i don't see how Nebraska would fit into the big 10, it just doesn't seem logical, you skip over Iowa than go to Nebraska, geographically we're a better fit but financially not so much, we don't bring a lot of tv sets, but lets get past that, would their academics be "good enough" for the big 10? not everything is about sports here. academic standards are probably playing a significant role here too i would assume. but thats my .02 worth...

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 962
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 4

let's create a sporcle on big twelve mascots and see where the huskers are and where the cyclones are... I think that the huskers would get named more frequently because their brand is huge and ours isn't. Even though cy won the mascot challenge, there are much much more husker fans nationally. this is kind of a duh thread.

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 26

Brent,

If your numbers are correct this is yet another example of how the DMR fails as a so-called newspaper. Why is the Rag not shouting this from the highest tree. Never mind the DM sports talk radio, that's more of a lost cause than the Rag.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 12
    Given: 6

its all about tradition...they have National Championships in the last 20 yrs

Speechless
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 380
    Given: 54

Quote Originally Posted by CyLoboClone View Post
    let's create a sporcle on big twelve mascots and see where the huskers are and where the cyclones are... I think that the huskers would get named more frequently because their brand is huge and ours isn't. Even though cy won the mascot challenge, there are much much more husker fans nationally. this is kind of a duh thread.
    What does this mean?

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Something tells me this isnt totally correct. It is showing NU didnt collect ANY student fees and guarantees of 12.5k while ISU collected 1.2 MILLION in student fees and 870k in guarantees. There could be some discrepancies in the way this is reported causing this.

Addict
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 26

Yeah, but someone should be using this info to make our case in the media.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up

The numbers reported are from the last year of the Bill Callahan/Steve Pederson era. Many of Nebraska's boosters were essentially boycotting to force those two out. Since Osborne has been brought in as AD and Pelini as HC the contributions have increased by a ton. I believe Nebraska was 3rd in Athletic Department revenue in 2009 behind Texas and I believe Ohio State. A majority of that was donations.

The other possibility is in the record keeping. Not sure how ISU does it, but the majority of donations made to the NU athletic department are tied to season football tickets. So, instead of someone donating $100K to the athletic department straight up, they donate it through their season football ticket purchase to improve their seat and parking location.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You know, I don't know that we're viewed as a second class citizen. We're just viewed as a very blue color school I think. I've been trolling through the other Big XII school sites and with the exception of the Whorns, everyone seems truly sad for Iowa State. I think the conference sees us as the school that just chugs along and gets ***** upon by luck.

I've held out hope for a long time that things will turn out ok, and we'll somehow end up in a BCS conference. Now I've lost it

Legend
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 468
    Given: 639

There may be more people inclined to watch NU get slapped by USC than ISU vs USC, but national fans...I have never met an NU fan on the East Coast.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 1,282
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 156

Now you're just pandering Brent... ;)

Way to look at things logically. I too was taken aback when we were called a "second class citizen" by someone I loathe more than just about any Hawk fan.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone