Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Rookie
    Points: 13,294, Level: 34
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    437
    Points
    13,294
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 25

    Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler


  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 48,199, Level: 67
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    sodakjoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ames via Sioux Falls, SD
    Posts
    2,799
    Points
    48,199
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler

    Wow. Very interesting parallels.


    Green hills for thy throne, and for crown a golden melody/Ringing in the hearts of all who bring thee love and loyalty/Dear Alma Mater, make our spirits great
    True and valiant like the bells of I-O-WA STATE!

    And thank you Stumpy for this:

  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 25,503, Level: 48
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 47
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    southern iowa
    Posts
    2,660
    Points
    25,503
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 170

    Re: Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler

    Very good article.


    Go Cyclones!!

  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 65,634, Level: 79
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 816
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    isubeatle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    1,331
    Points
    65,634
    Level
    79
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 53

    Re: Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler

    that is very interesting. agreed, good read.



  5. #5
    Walk On
    Points: 5,881, Level: 22
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 169
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    cyfanman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    SW Iowa, Glenwood
    Posts
    151
    Points
    5,881
    Level
    22
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler

    Very good comparison.


    Live for yourself, your family, your friends then your job!!!

  6. #6
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 111,748, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    4,130
    Points
    111,748
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 311

    Re: Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler

    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    I have never felt there was a comparison to be made between Hoiberg and Drexler. From the first day I almost felt like Drexler was a novelty hire at Houston. He didn't seem into it and he obviously didn't need the money. I dare say, he almost seemed to be a bit lazy, like he thought his fame would carry him.

    I don't see anything of the sort out of Hoiberg. This is and always has been his desired career path, judging by comments he's made in the past. Now that his playing career is over, this is where he wants to be and he will take the job seriously.

    Side note about Jim Les. Never met him, but his brother is about the biggest ***** walking the planet.



  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 13,294, Level: 34
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    shadow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Central Iowa
    Posts
    437
    Points
    13,294
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 25

    Re: Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler

    Don't know about his brother, but Les reminds me of Tom Cruise a bit. Not necessarily arrogant, but he's got a swagger about him generally in a good way...



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    I have never felt there was a comparison to be made between Hoiberg and Drexler. From the first day I almost felt like Drexler was a novelty hire at Houston. He didn't seem into it and he obviously didn't need the money. I dare say, he almost seemed to be a bit lazy, like he thought his fame would carry him.

    I don't see anything of the sort out of Hoiberg. This is and always has been his desired career path, judging by comments he's made in the past. Now that his playing career is over, this is where he wants to be and he will take the job seriously.

    Side note about Jim Les. Never met him, but his brother is about the biggest ***** walking the planet.
    The comparison between Hoiberg and Drexler is that both got DI HC gigs with absolutely no prior coaching experience whatsoever. Les had some prior coaching experience under his belt.

    If FH's 'desired career path' was 'always' to be a coach at ISU then why would he not spend time honing his craft as a coach? Why go into the front office of an NBA team? This makes no sense.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 27,370, Level: 50
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 180
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,232
    Points
    27,370
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    The comparison between Hoiberg and Drexler is that both got DI HC gigs with absolutely no prior coaching experience whatsoever. Les had some prior coaching experience under his belt.

    If FH's 'desired career path' was 'always' to be a coach at ISU then why would he not spend time honing his craft as a coach? Why go into the front office of an NBA team? This makes no sense.
    So, you are saying you don't think this job was Fred's desired career path?

    It sounds like he wanted it pretty bad to me. Whether you think it makes sense doesn't really matter, because it worked. He is actually the coach at ISU.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler

    Quote Originally Posted by BooneCy View Post
    So, you are saying you don't think this job was Fred's desired career path?

    It sounds like he wanted it pretty bad to me. Whether you think it makes sense doesn't really matter, because it worked. He is actually the coach at ISU.
    I have no idea what his 'desired career path' was/is.

    What I do know is that the logical thought process for someone that has a goal of becoming a DI HC is to take coaching jobs that will lead to that end goal.

    There is no doubt that he is the HC at ISU...with absolutely no prior coaching experience. The only question is will the experiment work?



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 254,408, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    BryceC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    16,735
    Points
    254,408
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 0

    Re: Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    The comparison between Hoiberg and Drexler is that both got DI HC gigs with absolutely no prior coaching experience whatsoever. Les had some prior coaching experience under his belt.

    If FH's 'desired career path' was 'always' to be a coach at ISU then why would he not spend time honing his craft as a coach? Why go into the front office of an NBA team? This makes no sense.
    I think it's comparable. His prior experience was an assistant in the WNBA.




  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 257,665, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cydkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    15,883
    Points
    257,665
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 692
    Given: 576

    Re: Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonenum1 View Post
    I have no idea what his 'desired career path' was/is.

    What I do know is that the logical thought process for someone that has a goal of becoming a DI HC is to take coaching jobs that will lead to that end goal.

    There is no doubt that he is the HC at ISU...with absolutely no prior coaching experience. The only question is will the experiment work?
    The last two head coaches in Iowa had lots of head coaching experience and that didn't work worth a darn. Maybe a different path is the way to go.



  13. #13
    Legend
    Points: 285,555, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 94.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    VeloClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Posts
    14,311
    Points
    285,555
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,307
    Given: 2,351

    Re: Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler

    Maybe it's just me but whenever I see Jim Les, I immediately think of Dave Foley.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Les.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	7434   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	foley 2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	7435  


    "There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 118,867, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    cyclonenum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    7,181
    Points
    118,867
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler

    Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    The last two head coaches in Iowa had lots of head coaching experience and that didn't work worth a darn. Maybe a different path is the way to go.
    Yeah, but there are plenty of examples of guys with lots of coaching experience having great success when they get a HC gig as well.

    On the other side of the coin, I know of no one without prior coaching experience that has had any measure of success with a DI program being his first HC gig.

    Listen, I hope the experiment works and the hiring of FH with no prior coaching experience at all opens the doors for other guys with no experience getting paid to coach to jump in at the highest level. Heck, if it does work, I may even apply for the ISU job when Hoiberg leaves the post.



    I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 73,217, Level: 84
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,633
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    brokenloginagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    2,021
    Points
    73,217
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 0

    Re: Les more like Hoiberg than Drexler

    i don't like the comparison at all. jim les is a jerk. FH is not.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State vs. Oklahoma
  • November 1, 2014
  • 11:00 AM