The Sporting News Report: On all things ISU
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,253
    Given: 322

The Sporting News Report: On all things ISU

Here's my recap of the Sporting News' 2010 College Football Preview.

Sporting News Report: All things ISU | Cyclone Fanatic

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 931

Re: The Sporting News Report: On all things ISU

The Worst Road Trip award? Iowa State (in November).
    As an Ames resident, I take offense to that. Ames is beautiful in November. What’s not to like? Oh you think it’s cold? It’s called a change in season Sporting News. That’s normal you know? Besides, who doesn’t like going out in campustown on a cold November night, watching sorority girls run around in skirts like it is 80 degrees out. Good times. I love Ames. I would have given Ames in November the “Best Road Trip” award. We keep it real at Iowa State.
    As someone who was once an Ames resident, I'm not sure why you would continue to take offense to that. I mean, after ~15 years of Big 12 conference play, you have to realize there's a reason why Texas, A&M, and now Oklahoma refuse to play in Ames in November - it can get BRUTALLY cold. I remember a day game at JTS against Kansas the last game of the season (I forget whether it was '97 or '98) when I don't think the gametime high reached 20 degrees. Instead of always taking offense to no one wanting to play in Ames in November, we should be wearing that claim on our sleeve like a badge of honor and with a chip on our shoulder.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 191

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Instead of always taking offense to no one wanting to play in Ames in November, we should be wearing that claim on our sleeve like a badge of honor and with a chip on our shoulder.
    That's all well and good but unless we get to use it to our advantage against Texas and OU then its about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    As someone who was once an Ames resident, I'm not sure why you would continue to take offense to that. I mean, after ~15 years of Big 12 conference play, you have to realize there's a reason why Texas, A&M, and now Oklahoma refuse to play in Ames in November - it can get BRUTALLY cold. I remember a day game at JTS against Kansas the last game of the season (I forget whether it was '97 or '98) when I don't think the gametime high reached 20 degrees. Instead of always taking offense to no one wanting to play in Ames in November, we should be wearing that claim on our sleeve like a badge of honor and with a chip on our shoulder.
    You're exactly right, jdoggivjc. The only problem is that as long as Texas makes all conferece decisions, you'll never see the Longhorns come to Ames when the possibility of adverse weather exists. Too risky...and we can't have that!

Legend
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 802

Temperature is all what you get used to. I can no longer stand to visit Iowa after August because it's simply too cold for my likes. Don't get me wrong the first summer I lived in TX about killed me, but now it's just what I'm used to.

Starter
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 497
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 11

Another 20 years of global warming and rising ocean levels and Iowa will have the best climate and geography...people will flock to the upper midwest in droves to escape both the heat and flooding and ISU will rule the day!

Addict
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,792
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 317
    Given: 705

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Here’s how the Sporting News ranks every opponent on Iowa State’s 2010 slate.
    Northern Illinois – 49th
    Iowa – 13th
    KSU - 85th
    Northern Iowa – Sporting News predicts the Panthers to finish fourth in the Missouri Valley standings.
    Texas Tech – 36th
    Utah – 22nd
    Oklahoma – 10th
    Texas – 9th
    Kansas – 31st
    Nebraska – 7th
    Colorado – 74th
    Missouri – 33rd
    I disagree with ISU being as low as 82nd ... but assuming the rest of those rankings are in the ballpark, it pretty much works with my gut-level forecast

Wins: NIU, KSU, UNI, KU, Colorado.

(although KU at 31 and NIU at 49 would be considered "big upsets" if SN is right.)

Bass Lake Beacon: The best in local news satire

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 261
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 175

I think that the part that irks me the most about that article was the fact that they had ISU regressing. I understand the schedule is tougher, and yes we lost alot of experience on D but really? They think we will be WORSE in year 2 of a new coaching regime? But Kansas will be equal to last year when it appears that they lost just as much (or more) of their key elements AND they have a new coach, I dont get it. It seems that ISU gets little to no credit for a Sr QB, experienced OL and RB but gets docked hard for lack of talent and experience on DL/LB. Our DB's will be as good or better than most in the north.

Oh well, better to overacheive than underacheive I guess

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,330
    Given: 931

Quote Originally Posted by isuaggie View Post
    That's all well and good but unless we get to use it to our advantage against Texas and OU then its about as useful as a screen door on a submarine.
    I know Texas and OU don't like coming up here in November, but OSU and TT may not have a choice, and KU, K-State, and MU CERTAINLY don't have a choice - and you know those 5 schools aren't going to like playing games below freezing when they're used to playing games at 50 degrees or above...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Legend
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 487
    Given: 2,046

CW I completely agree with you about the absurdity with the KU lovefest. Briscoe/Meyer/Reesing did EVERYTHING for KU the past few season. Sure Jake Sharp would rip of a few runs but without Reesing (even keeping Briscoe and Meyer) we'd have easily beaten KU the past 2 seasons.

I can't wait for them to go 4-8 or something like that.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 354
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 68

Question CW, what were the positives (reasons) TSN cited for Kansas being ranked so high? TSN is a reliable source of sports news; I used to be a regular subscriber when I lived overseas and got excellent insights on what was happening "stateside" in sports. I'm sure their beat writer has some good reasons for his/her evaluation of Kansas football. The only other reasonable explanation is the beat writer is a KU alumnus.

P.J. Farmer rocks!