Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 84

Nebraska fans...ugh

There is a TV show on after the Sunday late news here in Omaha called Sports Sound Off. It has gone through some transitions in the past few months. Long-time sports anchor Travis Justice quit and was replaced by Matt Seigel. Matt improved the show greatly (and I don't just say that because he's a friend of mine) because he was objective, fair, and honest. He retired from the business two weeks ago and was replaced by a guy from Sioux City that is a big Nebraska fan. Wow. Wow.

Tonight the new guy had on the cracked-out former husker Jason Peter on his show and they were talking about how nebraska and iowa would be one of the great rivalries in college football if they were in the same conference. I'm serious, they made mention that iowa doesn't have a true rival and nebraska would fit the bill. I mean, how could they not, they are bordering states! He made mention of how Minnesota and iowa isn't a heated rivalry and never made mention to Iowa State.

Seriously, this state just got more annoying to live in.

Rookie
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Nebraska fans...ugh

It's true. Iowa and Nebraska would diminish Iowa vs. Iowa State and be the biggest game for the Hawkeyes within 3 seasons. That's just the truth. That's not a Nebraska angle - that's just what would happen.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 453
    Given: 224

Quote Originally Posted by Sportstalkmatt View Post
    It's true. Iowa and Nebraska would diminish Iowa vs. Iowa State and be the biggest game for the Hawkeyes within 3 seasons. That's just the truth. That's not a Nebraska angle - that's just what would happen.
    Nobody is denying that Iowa vs Nebraska wouldn't be a big rivalry game, but its that they said Iowa doesn't have a true rival and even failed to mention ISU as a rivalry game.
    Even Iowa fans can't deny that ISU isn't their rival, maybe not their biggest, but its one of the top 2 or 3.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Legend
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 452

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    Nobody is denying that Iowa vs Nebraska wouldn't be a big rivalry game, but its that they said Iowa doesn't have a true rival and even failed to mention ISU as a rivalry game.
    Even Iowa fans can't deny that ISU isn't their rival, maybe not their biggest, but its one of the top 2 or 3.
    Their presence on CF indicates it's #1.

Legend
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 452

I realize you are not familiar with college athletics, but if NU, ISU and Iowa were all in the same conference, ISU-Iowa would still be a bigger rivalry. Even if NU joins the Big 10, it would not surpass the ISU-Iowa rivalry.

Legend
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 453
    Given: 224

Quote Originally Posted by swarthmoreCY View Post
    Their presence on CF indicates it's #1.
    I was giving them the benefit of the doubt.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Addict
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 529
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 4

Growing up in eastern Iowa and just outside Iowa City, no one gives a **** about Nebraska. For Iowa rivals, its all about Minnesota, Wisky, Iowa State and to a lesser extent Illinois. I remember the Iowa-NU games in 1998-1999. It was a neat story, but it did not compare to those other games, especially Minnesota. I mean how can it? Your playing for a giant, bronze pig for ****** sake.

Last edited by CyForPresident; 06-07-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 856
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 2

With you being a casual sports fan, I can see how you might think that.

But Iowa's main foes have been and will remain Wisky and Minnesota. Iowa State to a lesser degree, the the ol' in-state thing kicks in. Then Michigan, Illinois, and the rest. With Iowa realistically contending for Big Ten titles each year, the ISU-Iowa rivalry is an in-state thing and will continue to be so.

Iowa - Nebraska may grow in stature as a rivalry within a conference but probably won't affect the ISU-Iowa thing.

--------
    Pereant osores!
    --------

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyForPresident View Post
    Growing up in eastern Iowa and just outside Iowa City, no on gives a **** about Nebraska. For Iowa rivals, its all about Minnesota, Wisky, Iowa State and to a lesser extent Illinois. I remember the Iowa-NU games in 1998-1999. It was a neat story, but it did not compare to those other games, especially Minnesota. I mean how can it? Your playing for a giant, bronze pig for ****** sake.
    Having grown up in CR, I can verify that there is ZERO nebbie presence of any form (thank the Lord).

But no doubt it could become a rivalry but to have to no mention of ISU is crazy talk. How do some of these guys get jobs? Every hawk fan I know and talk to after a few beers will admit that ISU is their biggest rivalry. Sounds like a bunch of Neb fans trying to get their school into the Big 10. They are just sad that Texas replaced them as OU's biggest conference rival.

I'll pose this question again, how do some of these guys get jobs?!?! I wish I was paid just to purely speculate without even having any knowledge on the subjects at hand.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Are you qualified to have an opinion on this, since Creighton doesn't have a football team?

“There have been a lotta tough guys. There have been pretenders. And there have been contenders. But there is only one king.”

Prospect
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 223
    Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

There was no mention of ISU on Sports Sound-off last night - not that that is anything new. When the new guy announced he was from the Sioux City area I figured ISU at least might have a chance of getting some time, but no... 10+ minutes of people calling in about a non-existant NU-Iowa rivalry. It was nice however to see them take more than one call during the show.

You will also be hard pressed to hear anyone on that show acknowledge that the 9-7 ISU victory happened in Lincoln last season.

Starter
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by CyForPresident View Post
    Growing up in eastern Iowa and just outside Iowa City, no one gives a **** about Nebraska. For Iowa rivals, its all about Minnesota, Wisky, Iowa State and to a lesser extent Illinois. I remember the Iowa-NU games in 1998-1999. It was a neat story, but it did not compare to those other games, especially Minnesota. I mean how can it? Your playing for a giant, bronze pig for ****** sake.

That is the point!!! " no one gives a **** about Nebraska". Nebraska doesn't realize it!! Nebraska football is big in Nebraska. It is the ONLY thing they have.

"To run this drill, Everyone line up in a circle, pair up in rows of three, alphabetically"

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

If a Nebraska / iowa rivalry would be so "huge" for both schools then why on earth are they not regularly playing RIGHT NOW?!? There is nothing that has kept this supposed 'tremendous' rivalry from having already been in place...is there?

You don't have to be in the same conference to play a school from a bordering state every year (see UT / OU prior to the advent of the Big 12). Plenty of other examples if you take out the bordering state issue...how about FSU and Miami prior to Miami joining the ACC...how about FSU and Florida?

There are true rivalries and then there are 'manufactured' rivalries...NU and iowa is not a true rivalry.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.

All-Star
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    That's not "truth", it's your opinion. And to say it would become their biggest game of the year? That's very questionable. What do you think is their biggest game in 2010? I would say it would be Ohio State. Does that make OSU their biggest rival? I don't think so.

Pro
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 665
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 150

There aren't enough people in the whole state to make difference any where, Nebr. still 100 years behind times, HAS BEENS!

Last edited by isuforlife; 06-07-2010 at 07:28 AM.