Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 53,567, Level: 71
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,604
    Points
    53,567
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 0

    Who pays for contracts that are going to be broken

    when different conferences expand like the Pac 10 or Big 10....

    when schools go to other conferences and everything breaks down who pays for contracts for games that are going to be schedules or finds replacements....

    Give the Big 10 and Pac 10 the bill and find replacement teams



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 140,062, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    ruxCYtable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    5,062
    Points
    140,062
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,217
    Given: 1,127

    Re: Who pays for contracts that are going to be broken

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclonefan1983 View Post
    when different conferences expand like the Pac 10 or Big 10....

    when schools go to other conferences and everything breaks down who pays for contracts for games that are going to be schedules or finds replacements....

    Give the Big 10 and Pac 10 the bill and find replacement teams
    Obviously I'm not an expert and I've never seen a sports-related contract, but I have significant experience working with contracts in my job and most of them have an out for a significant business change or business downturn, some even mention the term "act of God." In short, I assume most contracts have some similar kind of out clause in the event of a radical event such as a conference blow-up or whatever.



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 91,518, Level: 94
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,632
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    7,752
    Points
    91,518
    Level
    94
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 869
    Given: 0

    Re: Who pays for contracts that are going to be broken

    Really, the non-conference games don't necessarily need to be changed. They would be far enough out (2012) that the dates are not set so any conference games should be able to be worked around them. If the new conference goes to 9 games then there may be more of an issue, but I'm sure that the small games would be dropped if the school already has four games scheduled. The conference games aren't officially scheduled yet so other than the conference buyout, there wouldn't need to be any compensation.



  4. #4
    Prospect
    Points: 6,653, Level: 24
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 397
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    58
    Points
    6,653
    Level
    24
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Who pays for contracts that are going to be broken

    Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    Obviously I'm not an expert and I've never seen a sports-related contract, but I have significant experience working with contracts in my job and most of them have an out for a significant business change or business downturn, some even mention the term "act of God." In short, I assume most contracts have some similar kind of out clause in the event of a radical event such as a conference blow-up or whatever.
    I have a hard time believing those schools could claim "force majeure" (Force Majeure clause) when they are the ones making the decision to force major conference alignments.

    Other than that, who knows what the contracts state.



  5. #5
    Addict
    Points: 90,289, Level: 93
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 961
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    ripvdub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sk-Ankeny
    Posts
    7,597
    Points
    90,289
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 315
    Given: 844

    Re: Who pays for contracts that are going to be broken

    SO if we lose 8 or so teams, will the last 4 teams split the buyout money? Could be our last chance at a payday if we get screwed.


    #BEATIOWA

  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 20,355, Level: 43
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    LutherClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    1,167
    Points
    20,355
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 10

    Re: Who pays for contracts that are going to be broken

    Quote Originally Posted by ripvdub View Post
    SO if we lose 8 or so teams, will the last 4 teams split the buyout money? Could be our last chance at a payday if we get screwed.
    We need a stock broker b/c that's the only way we're going to make money in the future. This Baylor over sCUm could really eff us if aTm goes to SEC.



  7. #7
    Speechless
    Points: 371,276, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    22,102
    Points
    371,276
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,177
    Given: 222

    Re: Who pays for contracts that are going to be broken

    Quote Originally Posted by LutherClone View Post
    We need a stock broker b/c that's the only way we're going to make money in the future. This Baylor over sCUm could really eff us if aTm goes to SEC.
    I am failing to understand why it matters if Baylor or CU leave? What difference does it make? aTm isn't going where Texas doesn't go. I'll eat crow if that's wrong, but it won't be.

    This whole board has been loaded with "the sky is falling" attitude and quite frankly it isn't logical. We aren't going to the MAC so get that out of your heads first of all. The worst thing that could happen is that the Big Ten takes MU and NU and those othered rumored teams accept invites to the PAC 10. We then would merge/join/whatever with the Mountain West. With the Big 12 dissolved, I think a conference with Utah, BYU, TCU, and BSU along with 4 new BCS programs, one of which recently went to a BCS bowl would have to be AQ. Hell, they would have been shortly anyway. As far as basketball we would have two premiere programs and maybe a third if Baylor is in that mix. Sure the MWC initially would not be ideal, but it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world. IMO it's a better football conference than the Big East. Really, who cares about conference in basketball anyway.


    This is very important:

    2014-15 KenPom AdjO (rating)
    116.3 (11)

    2015-16 KenPom AdjO (rating
    120.7 (3)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: TBA
  • Football Season Opener vs. UNI
  • September 3, 2016
  • 07:00 PM