Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cyclone42

OWH calls Pac-10 raid on the Big12 "probable"

Multiple sources throughout college athletics, when discussing on Saturday a Pacific 10 Conference raid of six schools from the Big 12, used the word “probable'' more than “possible.''
    Sources: Three conferences hinge on Nebraska's call - Omaha.com

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 9

Re: OWH calls Pac-10 raid on the Big12 "probable"

Nebraska is going. The big12 is done.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Legend
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 61

After reading that article, it still doesn't really change my views on whats going to happen. They are using the same information, just writing new articles. Heck, that writer still has colorado to the Pac10 and not Baylor.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

All-Star
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 843
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Source?

Cyclone42

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    Nebraska WANTS to go. That is absolutely certain.

The Big 10 is a very conservative conference. They have added two members in the past 100 years, one member in the past 55 years. They added Penn State only after years of deliberation.

I think the Big 10 is being pushed and pushed and pushed into adding Nebraska. I still say that Nebraska wants into the Big 10 FAR more than the Big 10 wants Nebraska. Nebraska just doesn't make sense to the Big 10. Certainly not from an academic perspective. For example, every other member of the Big 10 has a big medical school, but Nebraska does not have a medical school.

What I see happening is the Big 10 being pushed to act far more quickly than they want to act, and they react by doing something else entirely. My money is still on Rutgers being added to the Big 10. Rutgers makes sense for a host of reasons, from academics (Rutgers has a medical school) to history (Rutgers has a deep history as an institution, to share with the other Big 10 schools).

Thumbs Up

The University of Texas officials said that they want to keep the bi 12 together and asaid they only way they would move is if someone else moved first. That being said everyone is waiting to see what Texas will do if they dont move no one in the big 12 does.

Salute to Dan McCarney

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    After reading that article, it still doesn't really change my views on whats going to happen. They are using the same information, just writing new articles. Heck, that writer still has colorado to the Pac10 and not Baylor.
    Do we know that Colorado isn't going to the Pac 10. The state of texas is only concerned about Baylor getting left out, they really don't care about Colorado as long as Baylor gets to go. Either the Pac 10 will have to take more teams then they planned or drop Colorado with it's rich TV market or drop OSU.

I think what we will see next is the Pac 10 trying to drop OSU for CU in order to make room for Baylor. OSU really offers nothing as long as they can still get OU. Really I could see OSU wanting to get in a different conference from OU as long as they knew there was going to be another conference to get into.

I think people underestimate Colorado. It is the second most populated state in the Big 12 north and Denver is the largest city in the North. Denver and Colorado are a bigger TV market than Ok city and Oklahoma.

Cyclone42

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I think what we will see next is the Pac 10 trying to drop OSU for CU in order to make room for Baylor.
    That's if the Pac-10 would submit to being bullied by a small group of Texas legislators into taking Baylor. If you were in the Pac-10, would you appreciate being bullied like this?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,194
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    Nebraska WANTS to go. That is absolutely certain.

The Big 10 is a very conservative conference. They have added two members in the past 100 years, one member in the past 55 years. They added Penn State only after years of deliberation.

I think the Big 10 is being pushed and pushed and pushed into adding Nebraska. I still say that Nebraska wants into the Big 10 FAR more than the Big 10 wants Nebraska. Nebraska just doesn't make sense to the Big 10. Certainly not from an academic perspective. For example, every other member of the Big 10 has a big medical school, but Nebraska does not have a medical school.

What I see happening is the Big 10 being pushed to act far more quickly than they want to act, and they react by doing something else entirely. My money is still on Rutgers being added to the Big 10. Rutgers makes sense for a host of reasons, from academics (Rutgers has a medical school) to history (Rutgers has a deep history as an institution, to share with the other Big 10 schools).
    Agree, I still don't understand what Nebraska brings the B10 that about 15 other schools don't, except the other 15 schools bring more than Neb. Neb wants to go, just depends if the B10 really wants them.

All-Star
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 416
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The ego of Nebraska has allowed everyone here to think the BigTen wants them as much as they want the BigTen, which I don't think is true. Regardless, they do bring a lot to the table in regards to athletic (football) tradition and resources. They have an 85,000 seat stadium (with future expansion already being discussed), five national championships, yadda yadda yadda ... they have more than almost everyone else.

I'm on twitter @mookjnsn ... me, not her.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Do we know that Colorado isn't going to the Pac 10.
    No, but the article failed to mention anything about Baylor going to the pac 10. So, that leads me to believe that the writer is using old news and just writing another article for the sake of his job.
    We pretty much knew everything that was stated in the article before it was released, minus some writers opinion that it is now "probable" instead of "possible". Which means nothing new to me.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MookInLincoln View Post
    The ego of Nebraska has allowed everyone here to think the BigTen wants them as much as they want the BigTen, which I don't think is true. Regardless, they do bring a lot to the table in regards to athletic (football) tradition and resources. They have an 85,000 seat stadium (with future expansion already being discussed), five national championships, yadda yadda yadda ... they have more than almost everyone else.
    It's more than just about athletics, though. What do they have academically that the others don't, and vice versa? How is their tv market compared to the others?

Thumbs Up

Could end up with Missouri, Nebraska and Iowa State to the Big Ten to grab Omaha and Kansas City than they would be geographically lined up as a super region. Throw in Pitt too. Travel would be no more expensive than what they are doing right now. ISU would be good for them to have a team that the big guys could consistantly beat.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    No, but the article failed to mention anything about Baylor going to the pac 10. So, that leads me to believe that the writer is using old news and just writing another article for the sake of his job.
    We pretty much knew everything that was stated in the article before it was released, minus some writers opinion that it is now "probable" instead of "possible". Which means nothing new to me.
    Or wrote it last night before that news came out. Seriously, I would hate that job, you spend time writing a article and by the time it's published it is already out of date.

Also, to address another poster, I don't think the Pac 10 will like being blackmailed, but Texas is what they want. This is kind of more like a strike. I don't think the Pac 10 will get what they want. They may offer invitations but will have them rejected. The only schools I'm really worried about leaving are Colorado and Missouri. I even read in a article last night that Nebraska is leaning more heavily toward staying now. If the Big 12 survives this I think Beebe should be fired and the conference needs to heavily revamp polices.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Or wrote it last night before that news came out. Seriously, I would hate that job, you spend time writing a article and by the time it's published it is already out of date.

Also, to address another poster, I don't think the Pac 10 will like being blackmailed, but Texas is what they want. This is kind of more like a strike. I don't think the Pac 10 will get what they want. They may offer invitations but will have them rejected. The only schools I'm really worried about leaving are Colorado and Missouri. I even read in a article last night that Nebraska is leaning more heavily toward staying now. If the Big 12 survives this I think Beebe should be fired and the conference needs to heavily revamp polices.
    Good point.

and I agree.