Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Big 12 vs. Big 10

Does anyone else find it ironic that for the past couple years, all ISU fans have criticized the Big 10, or the "Little 11" for being so weak and compared it to the ELITE Big 12. Now with all this expansion talk the ELITE Big 12 seems to be not so elite and may cease to exist. With all this ISU is now scrambling to find any conference who will even consider taking us and would BEG the Big 10 to do a favor and take us. I, for one, find it ironic and also a bit pathetic...just sayin'

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,286
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 93
    Given: 109

Re: Big 12 vs. Big 10

Quote Originally Posted by isufan1000 View Post
    Does anyone else find it ironic that for the past couple years, all ISU fans have criticized the Big 10, or the "Little 11" for being so weak and compared it to the ELITE Big 12. Now with all this expansion talk the ELITE Big 12 seems to be not so elite and may cease to exist. With all this ISU is now scrambling to find any conference who will even consider taking us and would BEG the Big 10 to do a favor and take us. I, for one, find it ironic and also a bit pathetic...just sayin'
    Not all Iowa State fans were criticizing the Big Ten. I, for one, have wanted to be in the Big Ten for years. Just made sense to me for a variety reasons to be in that conference instead of the Big 12.

I am also one of very few that think superconferences are coming, maybe 5 conferences with 16, and the Pac 10 raiding the south teams from the Big 12 could be the first domino to see it happen. And if it happens, I seriously think the Big Ten could be the landing spot for Iowa State, along with Missouri and Nebraska and two Big East teams/Notre Dame.

I could also be crazy. Haah

Addict
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 1,455
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 46

The people that constantly knock the B10 live in fantasy land. For one thing, we play in the B12 North, which describing it as average is being too kind.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 92

Generally, Hawkeye fans haven't had much success on CF trying to disguise themselves by putting "isu" in their usernames...just sayin'...

But it is kind of pathetic that despite larger athletic budgets on average, the Big Ten had fewer bowl qualifiers last year than the Big 12. That sort of thing is why people here have been criticizing the Big Ten.

Also, your favorite conference prefers to be referred to as the "Big Ten", not the "Big 10"...

Last edited by jbhtexas; 06-05-2010 at 05:29 PM.
    "Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Legend
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 453
    Given: 224

I think the people criticizing where doing so in terms of teams underperforming on the national scene. (even the national media was tough on the Big 10 for underachieving in big time bowl games). Everybody is well aware of the Big 10's money and wasn't making fun of them in that case.
    If only the Big 12 had a better market and revenue sharing, we wouldn't even be talking about this right now.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ha, be "that guy" all you want but the better ATHLETIC conference the past couple of years is the Big 12. Money? No- that title goes to the tiny 11. So yes, we can and should and will make fun of the tiny 11 because on the field/court, they simply are not the cream of the crop, even though they have every monetary advantage imaginable.

Should we JOIN the tiny 11? That would be awesome because we'd have an easier road athletically to win titles. And don't give me this ***** about how mighty OSU and Michigan are. We have a better shot beating them in football than we do OU or Texas. And with Freddy at the helm for MBB, we'd compete consistently for titles in that conference. Yes I have that much confidence in my man the Mayor. AND we'd have money!

I will continue to wholeheartedly make fun of any and all things tiny 11 unless we become a part of it. Then I'll make fun of all the other teams and laugh as we step in from day 1 and start making waves.

GREAT TIME TO BE A CYCLONE!

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    I think the people criticizing where doing so in terms of teams underperforming on the national scene. (even the national media was tough on the Big 10 for underachieving in big time bowl games). Everybody is well aware of the Big 10's money and wasn't making fun of them in that case.
    If only the Big 12 had a better market and revenue sharing, we wouldn't even be talking about this right now.
    I understand where you're coming from, but the Big 10 went 2-0 in BCS games with OSU and iowa's win. And for the troll comment, I actually grew up an Iowa fan but converted to an ISU fan when I went to school at ISU. I guess that's where I got the sense that all ISU fans criticized the Big 10 for being a weak conference. I'm still an ISU fan ps, I was just curious on other fans thoughts who probably felt the same way about the Big 10 prior to all this bushleague.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I understand where you're coming from, but the Big 10 went 2-0 in BCS games with OSU and iowa's win. And for the troll comment, I actually grew up an Iowa fan but converted to an ISU fan when I went to school at ISU. I guess that's where I got the sense that all ISU fans criticized the Big 10 for being a weak conference. I'm still an ISU fan ps, I was just curious on other fans thoughts who probably felt the same way about the Big 10 prior to all this bushleague.
    Last year, yes. They actually had a good showing last year in bowl games. But, the previous few years they struggled big time and the national media ripped them for it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

This expansion and power has nothing to do with success on the field/court, it has everything to do with TV households, fan support, and money. It's like politics, the best candidate doesn't usually win or have the power, it's the one who raises the most money (self-promotion).

Rookie
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 588
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    Ha, be "that guy" all you want but the better ATHLETIC conference the past couple of years is the Big 12. Money? No- that title goes to the tiny 11. So yes, we can and should and will make fun of the tiny 11 because on the field/court, they simply are not the cream of the crop, even though they have every monetary advantage imaginable.

Should we JOIN the tiny 11? That would be awesome because we'd have an easier road athletically to win titles. And don't give me this ***** about how mighty OSU and Michigan are. We have a better shot beating them in football than we do OU or Texas. And with Freddy at the helm for MBB, we'd compete consistently for titles in that conference. Yes I have that much confidence in my man the Mayor. AND we'd have money!

I will continue to wholeheartedly make fun of any and all things tiny 11 unless we become a part of it. Then I'll make fun of all the other teams and laugh as we step in from day 1 and start making waves.

Whatever it is you are smoking please pass it around! IB

Rookie
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 588
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonedave25 View Post
    Last year, yes. They actually had a good showing last year in bowl games. But, the previous few years they struggled big time and the national media ripped them for it.
    In the last 10 years in bowl games the big ten is one game short of the SEC. In the last 20 the big ten is ahead. What were you saying?

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post

Thank you for your incredibly arrogant post because you are exactly the type of Cyclone fan that I'm talking about. While I do like the mayor and am happy about the hire, for you to say that we will consistently win titles is a bit farfetched this early in the game. That is my point exactly, regardless of our current situation, you still feel we can dominate in the Big 10. Could it be that our two new coaches, the mayor and CPR come in and turn our programs around to where we are a decent D1 team in both sports....very much so and I would love to see that. Is it fair for us to say at this point that we could join the Big 10 and immediately dominate....I don't believe so.....

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by iowaboy View Post
    In the last 10 years in bowl games the big ten is one game short of the SEC. In the last 20 the big ten is ahead. What were you saying?
    I've slammed the B10 when they've been down. So what? I have never knocked their academics. They're a conference of very good academic institutions (especially when you factor in U of Chicago).

ISU would fit well in the B10 geographically, academically and imho better athletically than Mizz.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by iowaboy View Post
    In the last 4 years, the Big 10 is 2-6 in BCS bowl games. Thank God the Big 10 actually won those 2 games last year otherwise, they could have been 0-8 in the last 4 years in BCS bowls. And some of those loses were HUGE beat downs. You can't sit here and tell me that based on recent history, the Big 10 did well in BCS bowls. (yes, they did good last year. But, going into last year's bowl season, the media of all types were very rough on the Big 10 for underachieving.)

Rookie
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 211
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

u have no balls do you isufan1000...