Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 0

Parking On-Campus

So I visited the venerated alma mater this past weekend, and spent too much time in my parking space at the Union admiring the Campanile. I had a ticket from the parking vultures, but was surprised to see that visitors were exempt from fines for three offenses (can't remember if that was per year or lifetime). So then the only thing I was mad about was that I had put money in the meter in the first place! The ticket was only $7.50, which I thought was a bargain, since the last ticket I got here in the Twin Cities was for a dirty license plate for a whopping $98!

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Parking On-Campus

That's why if you're able to, never register your vehicle with the universitiy. Then they can't connect a vehicle to a student and you will, no matter what, be assured 3 "free" passes on campus.

Rookie
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 4

Yeah UNI does the same thing, and I just about paid the ticket, and read it closer and it made my day!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

$98 for a dirty license plate? You have got to be kidding me....

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonesrule91 View Post
    $98 for a dirty license plate? You have got to be kidding me....
    That's what I thought, too, and took the matter to a "hearing officer" who is kind of a buffer between you and the court system. I came armed with pictures of the plate. Before even seeing them, she said, "Don't they know this is winter in Minnesota? Every license plate is dirty." I didn't end up paying a cent. I did Windex my plate, though.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,724
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by isucyfan View Post
    That's what I thought, too, and took the matter to a "hearing officer" who is kind of a buffer between you and the court system. I came armed with pictures of the plate. Before even seeing them, she said, "Don't they know this is winter in Minnesota? Every license plate is dirty." I didn't end up paying a cent. I did Windex my plate, though.
    I just got a ticket recently in Ames for "parking in my yard". I own the freaking house and had a car for sale that I put out front until I got the ticket. Never mind that my neighbor has like 6 of them in his yard and has never heard boo. Luckily my (very) pregnant wife used her pain and suffering for purposes of good by calling and reeming our way out of it

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

All-Star
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 788
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

I get pulled over all the time by ISU police with nothing better to do than tell me that I need to clean off my license plates....but it gets funny when they wipe it off to read the numbers (and enter it into their computers). So, essentially, they are pulling me over to say "hey, clean those," but they end up cleaning them for me

Addict Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tigershoops31 View Post
    I just got a ticket recently in Ames for "parking in my yard". I own the freaking house and had a car for sale that I put out front until I got the ticket. Never mind that my neighbor has like 6 of them in his yard and has never heard boo. Luckily my (very) pregnant wife used her pain and suffering for purposes of good by calling and reeming our way out of it
    The Ames cops gave me parking tickets for parking in my driveway "illegally." My rear bumper was 3 inches into the sidewalk, and I had a dead battery, and it wouldn't start, and I couldn't push it any further up the incline by myself. When they were writing me my third ticket within the same day for the same violation, I saw them writing it, explained what was going on, and he just told me to get it fixed that night (nevermind that it was 11pm at the time) and gave me another ticket. I had to wake up my neighbor and asked him to help me push it up another three inches so I wouldn't get another ticket. He was ****** at me for waking him up, and I was ****** at the cops for the $60 in parking tickets within a 4 hour span.

"Seven minutes to glory."

Pro
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 19

Glad to see this isn't a thread complaining about lack of parking on campus. I love the fact that ISU hasn't given in and sacrificed the beauty of campus to please the few whiners who complain about having to walk a little ways or ride CyRide into campus from the stadium. I hope it always stays that way.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ah, the days of trying to "quick park" without getting a ticket. :) Nothing better though than DPS giving you a ticket and conveinently tucking it down in the crack of your hood where your wipers rest so you can't see it. They gave me a ticket at 8am one morning, I walked by my car once that day (unknowning that Residence Hall staff parking does not include RA's despite that we are technically Residence Hall staff) and did not see it. Came out to go to the store that evening and then found my wiper pulled up some and 2 tickets underneath it, the 2nd coming around 4pm by a different parking nazi.

Got 1 of them cleared but had to pay the other then 3 months later they tried telling me I had an upaid ticket for the same thing. Wasted 30 minutes having to go protest it and prove to them they had made an error.

Addict
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,724
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 16

Quote Originally Posted by wonkadog View Post
    Glad to see this isn't a thread complaining about lack of parking on campus. I love the fact that ISU hasn't given in and sacrificed the beauty of campus to please the few whiners who complain about having to walk a little ways or ride CyRide into campus from the stadium. I hope it always stays that way.
    You've always been such an advocate of nature and beauty wonka you little tree hugger. I agree though, I don't care 'bout spots on my apples, leave me the birds and the bees......pleeeeease.

Im just glad I have Homan as my bodyguard, Eustachy joked. If I ever make it real big and get to drive a limo everyday, hell be driving it. I thought he came off the bench like somebody was stealing his cow or something.

http://blogs.dmjuice.com/?cat=43

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Oh and the thing I love is the DPS trucks will park in the handicap spots while they write tickets. One of my buddies who hated DPS so bad that he took a big jar of pennies to pay a ticket yelled at a guy that was giving tickets out "hey a-hole, you better give yourself a ticket for parking in the handicap spot!" and proceeded to hack a big loogie and spit it on his truck. I thought for sure that guy would come after us but he just looked at us like he wasn't sure what to do, lol.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

My personal favorite from "back in the day". Coming back from Christmas break, the Towers parking lot had 8 inches of snow covering it. Everyone just kind of parked where they "thought" the spaces were. A couple hours later, nearly everyone got a ticket for "parking over the lines", which DPS had to dig down to find.

Second gripe: The Tree in front of Oak/Elm was either parking, or it's not, depending on the whim of the DPS "parking Nazis." The "No Parking" sign just kind of split the difference on where parking started and stopped.