Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

"Scout" shows ISU in the recruiting hunt...

Just read from the Scout service that Iowa State is in the hunt already for:
    5-four star recruits
    8-three star recruits
    25-one star (unrated) as yet, but highly sought after recruits. While it is early in the game, all of the recruits are looking at big time programs(including ISU) as schools their are considering.
    Just the fact we have the guts to go after these guys says a lot for Chizik. He's not afraid to aim high. This is not your fathers Iowa State...

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: "Scout" shows ISU in the recruiting hunt...

Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    Just read from the Scout service that Iowa State is in the hunt already for:
    5-four star recruits
    8-three star recruits
    25-one star (unrated) as yet, but highly sought after recruits. While it is early in the game, all of the recruits are looking at big time programs(including ISU) as schools their are considering.
    Just the fact we have the guts to go after these guys says a lot for Chizik. He's not afraid to aim high. This is not your fathers Iowa State...
    Hmmm . . . Well . . . I guess that I fail to understand why *attempting* to recruit 4 & 5 star kids means anything. I'd hate to see our recruiting classes suffer because we waste time on kids who don't commit. Don't get me wrong--I'm all about hoping we get much better recruits. I just don't personally think it's worth praising someone because they're trying.

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.

Recruit Achievements:

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by avery_larry View Post
    Hmmm . . . Well . . . I guess that I fail to understand why *attempting* to recruit 4 & 5 star kids means anything. I'd hate to see our recruiting classes suffer because we waste time on kids who don't commit. Don't get me wrong--I'm all about hoping we get much better recruits. I just don't personally think it's worth praising someone because they're trying.

He's not saying we should be happy we are GOING after these kids. He said it states we "are actually in the running" meaning they are considering us. That is something to be praised.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

Yawn. Not much different than Mac.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

I don't think Mac went after that level of recruit...Starting at that level makes sense to me..Chizik can always go down a level if he needs to, but impossible to go up if you're not in the running from the start.

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 406
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Mac was in the running for 4 stars and would bring some of them to Ames, but they were mostly Juco's if I remember correctly. I don't recall many 4 star freshman (was Flynn?)

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ColoradoClone View Post
    Mac was in the running for 4 stars and would bring some of them to Ames, but they were mostly Juco's if I remember correctly. I don't recall many 4 star freshman (was Flynn?)
    Flynn was a 4* (star) QB recruit on Rivals.

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by avery_larry View Post
    The last time I checked you can't succeed unless you try. Would you rather have GC wait and only offer players who ask him for an offer.

Rookie Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyRocket View Post
    The last time I checked you can't succeed unless you try. Would you rather have GC wait and only offer players who ask him for an offer.
    At least I'd have a shot at making the team then.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 188
    Given: 74

It would be nice to not see our annual recruiting class ranking at 11th or 12th in the Big 12 for once.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

Of the 5 four-star prospects listed on Scout, one is Ben Cotton and the other 4 are JUCO players who we have not yet offered.
    I think a real step forward will be when we are in the hunt for 4-star high school players. Doesn't look like we are there yet.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 467
    Given: 321

Quote Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
    Of the 5 four-star prospects listed on Scout, one is Ben Cotton and the other 4 are JUCO players who we have not yet offered.
    I think a real step forward will be when we are in the hunt for 4-star high school players. Doesn't look like we are there yet.
    Well, after Chizik wins three straight Big XII championships to close out the decade we'll have those 4 stars lining up right outside Jacobsen

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Rookie
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Walter Nickel was a 4* but was a JUCO, IIRC. I remember being surprised by that when doing some back research.

I think Stevie was a 4* also. Yes on Flynn also.

Addict
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 535
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by CyCy View Post
    Point very well made. There is indeed excitment leading into this next season for what we hope to see on the field, but also what we see off. Mac really was in the same boat as Chizik at this point with the quality of recruits, the difference that will hopefully be evident is the progression of the recruits that come in. It always seems that every recruit was under achieved when it came to their raw talent.

The real difference will be when their are 4 star or even a few 5 star high school players that are actually considering us, and even commit. Until then, we are sailing the same boat, just on a differnt heading.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    Point very well made. There is indeed excitment leading into this next season for what we hope to see on the field, but also what we see off. Mac really was in the same boat as Chizik at this point with the quality of recruits, the difference that will hopefully be evident is the progression of the recruits that come in. It always seems that every recruit was under achieved when it came to their raw talent.

The real difference will be when their are 4 star or even a few 5 star high school players that are actually considering us, and even commit. Until then, we are sailing the same boat, just on a differnt heading.
    And how do we know that we don't have any at this time? Most high schoolers aren't rated until the season starts. So what some are doing is jumping to conclusions simply on the basis of not seeing stars by their names. I know that the people post here are truely ISU fans but may still suffer from a defeatest attitude that can't or won't see anything good in anything that relates to ISU athletics. Before you put us in the same boat as Mac give the new Captain a chance to see what he can do. Instead we're already writing off a recruiting class we know nothing about.