Freddy on KXNO
Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Freddy on KXNO

  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 53,720, Level: 71
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,905
    Points
    53,720
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 344

    Freddy on KXNO

    Coach Hoiberg confirmed that we are still looking at a Euro player, possibly coming in in 2 weeks. Also still looking to fill other schoolarships.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 560,667, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,531
    Points
    560,667
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 406
    Given: 200

    Re: Freddy on KXNO

    Go get 'em




  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 40,768, Level: 62
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 882
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    3GenClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Windsor Heights
    Posts
    2,203
    Points
    40,768
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 243

    Re: Freddy on KXNO

    Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    Coach Hoiberg confirmed that we are still looking at a Euro player, possibly coming in in 2 weeks. Also still looking to fill other schoolarships.
    Coach Hoiberg has a pretty good player in his back pocket if he's willing to sit out a year:


    Ricky Rubio to ISU!!!



  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 13,057, Level: 34
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    clonefreek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    ames
    Posts
    679
    Points
    13,057
    Level
    34
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

    Re: Freddy on KXNO

    Ya i hear its Ricky Rubio



  5. #5
    Walk On
    Points: 8,547, Level: 27
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 203
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    tccoach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    193
    Points
    8,547
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Freddy on KXNO

    Good interview this morning...also said he would bring in players that he felt "fit" with his plan for the program and won't bring in players just to fill out the roster. Said he would go with 9 scholly's and some walk on's if need be this season. He said he is close to bringing in an assistant with head coaching and NCAA experience, just needs to work out a couple of details...Deace asked him about someone, but I missed the name!!! anyone else catch it? Fred didn't confirm or deny but his reaction sounded like maybe he was right.


    Cyclone For Life

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 560,667, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Back in Iowa!!!!!!!!
    Posts
    21,531
    Points
    560,667
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 406
    Given: 200

    Re: Freddy on KXNO

    I'd guess they mentioned Bobby Lutz (I don't listen to the show).




  7. #7
    Rookie
    Points: 10,911, Level: 31
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Bardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    547
    Points
    10,911
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Freddy on KXNO

    What position do you all think this Euro player will be? Seems like it would make the most sense to be a big center or a G/F


    "Freddie knows the game," Bird said. "I'm sure he picked up a lot of stuff over the years from different people. College is different from the NBA, but I'm sure he'll do a great job."

  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 348,384, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,616
    Points
    348,384
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 745
    Given: 93

    Re: Freddy on KXNO

    Quote Originally Posted by Bardman View Post
    What position do you all think this Euro player will be? Seems like it would make the most sense to be a big center or a G/F
    If I were guessing I would say a perimeter oriented big man. I wouldn't mind seeing one of those come in and possibly redshirt to take the place of JVB. I think those are a good tool to have. I don't like centering an offense around them but they do serve a purpose.


    It's all snark from here on out

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Points: 10,911, Level: 31
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Bardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    547
    Points
    10,911
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Freddy on KXNO

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    If I were guessing I would say a perimeter oriented big man. I wouldn't mind seeing one of those come in and possibly redshirt to take the place of JVB. I think those are a good tool to have. I don't like centering an offense around them but they do serve a purpose.
    JVB would have given Brackins a ton of help last year. This year, with what seems to be a guard oriented team, I doubt he will be as useful/productive as he was 2 yrs ago or would have been last year.

    I think it takes one big on the low block who can score at will and another on the perimeter shooting 40% for it to work. With one out of two it doesn't work well, and we saw that as Brackins got pounded by doubles and triples all season. It was Brackins that got JVB open for those perimeter shots by being a scoring force in the paint. It was JVB that relieved the double teams from Craig 2 years ago, hence Craig's booming soph season and lottery pick status IMO.

    JVB is a great shooter I just don't see a need for another perimeter big man until we have someone to complement that style.


    "Freddie knows the game," Bird said. "I'm sure he picked up a lot of stuff over the years from different people. College is different from the NBA, but I'm sure he'll do a great job."

  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 280,251, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    15,515
    Points
    280,251
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,326
    Given: 273

    Re: Freddy on KXNO

    Quote Originally Posted by isuaggie View Post
    I'd guess they mentioned Bobby Lutz (I don't listen to the show).
    He more or less confirmed that Lutz is being looked at, and a few things need to be tied up before its "official"



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 348,384, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,616
    Points
    348,384
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 745
    Given: 93

    Re: Freddy on KXNO

    Quote Originally Posted by Bardman View Post
    JVB would have given Brackins a ton of help last year. This year, with what seems to be a guard oriented team, I doubt he will be as useful/productive as he was 2 yrs ago or would have been last year.

    I think it takes one big on the low block who can score at will and another on the perimeter shooting 40% for it to work. With one out of two it doesn't work well, and we saw that as Brackins got pounded by doubles and triples all season. It was Brackins that got JVB open for those perimeter shots by being a scoring force in the paint. It was JVB that relieved the double teams from Craig 2 years ago, hence Craig's booming soph season and lottery pick status IMO.

    JVB is a great shooter I just don't see a need for another perimeter big man until we have someone to complement that style.
    What a guy like that does is make two things very difficult to do. It is very hard to stop dribble penetration to his side and not allow him to shoot. It also makes it hard to double team with his man. Of course, for either of these to matter, you must have the penetration and the other low post player. I'm not looking for this guy to play next year because I think our only option if we want to win will be to cause as much chaos as possible and makes games messy. Once we develop some guys and they are more polished we can develop more complex strategy. I think McKnight, Railey, and Godfrey all have a good chance of being great big men. I think McKnight could be as good as Brackins in a few years. If that is the case, I would like to see him complimented, at times, by another big that can spot up and shoot.


    It's all snark from here on out

  12. #12
    Rookie
    Points: 10,911, Level: 31
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Bardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    547
    Points
    10,911
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Freddy on KXNO

    Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    What a guy like that does is make two things very difficult to do. It is very hard to stop dribble penetration to his side and not allow him to shoot. It also makes it hard to double team with his man. Of course, for either of these to matter, you must have the penetration and the other low post player. I'm not looking for this guy to play next year because I think our only option if we want to win will be to cause as much chaos as possible and makes games messy. Once we develop some guys and they are more polished we can develop more complex strategy. I think McKnight, Railey, and Godfrey all have a good chance of being great big men. I think McKnight could be as good as Brackins in a few years. If that is the case, I would like to see him complimented, at times, by another big that can spot up and shoot.
    I see what you're saying but I would rather add another piece we could use this year instead of RS, but I could see the benefit of RS one player-maximum-this season.


    "Freddie knows the game," Bird said. "I'm sure he picked up a lot of stuff over the years from different people. College is different from the NBA, but I'm sure he'll do a great job."

  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 53,720, Level: 71
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 330
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,905
    Points
    53,720
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 197
    Given: 344

    Re: Freddy on KXNO

    I think he said the Euro was a bigger player.



  14. #14
    Rookie
    Points: 10,911, Level: 31
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 339
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Bardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    547
    Points
    10,911
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Freddy on KXNO

    Quote Originally Posted by 2020cy View Post
    I think he said the Euro was a bigger player.
    I'm still hoping for a center who is ready to play


    "Freddie knows the game," Bird said. "I'm sure he picked up a lot of stuff over the years from different people. College is different from the NBA, but I'm sure he'll do a great job."

  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 348,384, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Tre4ISU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Estherville
    Posts
    19,616
    Points
    348,384
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 745
    Given: 93

    Re: Freddy on KXNO

    Quote Originally Posted by Bardman View Post
    I see what you're saying but I would rather add another piece we could use this year instead of RS, but I could see the benefit of RS one player-maximum-this season.
    Well I would too, but I just don't know if I can expect that in June.


    It's all snark from here on out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.tv
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Mississippi Valley State
  • December 31, 2014
  • 06:00 PM