SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 4

Are Children Color Blind?

Kids' test answers on race brings mother to tears - CNN.com

Interesting story

*Warning deals with racism PLEASE KEEP IT CLEAN!!

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 832
    Given: 389

Re: Are Children Color Blind?

I'd like to get this off my chest: it bugged me more than the original topic for some reason.
    Can somebody please tell her to point at the picture like this:

and NOT like this:

Ok, rant over.

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,347
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 119
    Given: 15

This study has been around quite a while. CNN just did it so they could tape it and show it on T.V. The findings have been around.

***King of Diplomacy***

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 191

Color me surprised

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

This study kinda bothers me, at least in the way the questions were posed in the video. By asking the kid which one is bad, or the smartest, it forces the kid to choose. The kid may have no actual opinion or bias on which is smartest, but she is told she has to pick. So in being forced to pick we make the conclusion the kid has subconscious negative feelings towards people of a different race?

I think it would be better to just study the kids in actual social settings instead of posing these silly situations of pointing towards pictures of different shaded cartoon people. It may be the case that kids have a bit of a bias or feel a certain comfort towards children of their same race, but this study goes about studying it in a very silly/arbitrary manner.

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 175

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    This study has been around quite a while. CNN just did it so they could tape it and show it on T.V. The findings have been around.
    did they have the "dark student, their words" point to a picture of the nice and mean girl too? i didnt see that mentioned in the article at all.

Pro
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 275
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 175

Quote Originally Posted by pthebutcher View Post
    This study kinda bothers me, at least in the way the questions were posed in the video. By asking the kid which one is bad, or the smartest, it forces the kid to choose. The kid may have no actual opinion or bias on which is smartest, but she is told she has to pick. So in being forced to pick we make the conclusion the kid has subconscious negative feelings towards people of a different race?

I think it would be better to just study the kids in actual social settings instead of posing these silly situations of pointing towards pictures of different shaded cartoon people. It may be the case that kids have a bit of a bias or feel a certain comfort towards children of their same race, but this study goes about studying it in a very silly/arbitrary manner.
    Completley agree... the study has so many flaws, but that is typical. They could of just asked in the classroom if they thought sally, a student of a different race then person they asked was nice... if they said no, they could ask why... im guessing the answer wouldnt have to do with color but maybe that sally always steals the truck toy or something to that nature...

Recruit
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As a side note that sort of relates to this topic, I was discussing this topic with a friend on mune from a Middle Eastern Country (Jordan) and we were talking about if your child saw a groupd of peole how would they describe each person. Its seems we in america use race as the primary distiction if more then one race is present, He said that becase there are so many people of different decent in Jordan, he has taught his children to poit our or indicate people by what they are wearing or other items. I thought this was a very open approach and being a American had never thought of this option, I have now when presented with this tried to instill this type of behavior in my child that color is not the difference one should notice of someone but rathaer there are many other things, what they are wearing, what they are standing by, doing etc etc.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 741
    Given: 92

Right. I also think that children are going to look favorably toward the ones resembling themselves across all races. A black child would do the same IMO. I find it hard to take a study of such young people with limited exposure to diversity as a sign we are raising racists. I know that's not the point but they try to make this into something way bigger than I think it actually is.

It's all snark from here on out

Speechless
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 741
    Given: 92

Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    did they have the "dark student, their words" point to a picture of the nice and mean girl too? i didnt see that mentioned in the article at all.
    Thats what I'm saying. I would bet it goes both ways but apparently the media doesn't want to beat on that.

It's all snark from here on out

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    Yup. This exact same thing was around well over a decade ago.

One of the more surprising outcomes is that black children answer in generally the same fashion as the white children (showing a preference for the white dolls).

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

To further elaborate on my original point, the kid has no idea that she doesn't have to pick, that she could say, I don't know, they all seem the same. No matter what she chooses she has to choose an option that then suggests race is a factor in her decision. Its the classic definition of a loaded question! It is like having a multiple choice question, and the "right" answer isn't even available.

Cyclone42

Quote Originally Posted by Tedcyclone View Post
    Yes.

her answers actually reflect one of the major findings of the study, that white children have an overwhelming bias toward white, and that black children also have a bias toward white but not nearly as strong as the bias shown by the white children.