Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

is it illegal to talk about elephant in room?

Wow now recruiting Gibbs is a stupid waste of time? After reading alot of threads i have a question for alot of u fans on here? Is there ever going to be a white kid from iowa that will ever be good enough for you to give ur permission for Mc Dermott to recruit? Good grief!

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 149

Re: is it illegal to talk about elephant in room?

People will be skeptical of in-state kids just because not a ton have panned out in the long-term in the past. Now, I think the newer generation of in-staters are pretty good but that won't stop others from still being skeptical.

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It seems the very nature of a message board allows for people's negative or positive personalities/tendencies to be expressed. We saw an example of this during DMac's final season. Personally, I have faith in what GMac is doing. He's building a system and putting together the integral parts. Cripes, he's pulling in Brackins from the east coast, and Wisconsin's top player (from what I've heard). Think about the '96 Big 8 championship squad. Man, talk about everyone playing their role! Jacy ran the show and distributed the ball, Dedric the deadeye from the arc, Kenny P would boggle my mind taking guys down low with his spin moves, Bankhead was a stopper, and Cato was the big man. I guess my point is, let's see how GMac's system works over the next few years.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Quote Originally Posted by frontrangeclone View Post
    It seems the very nature of a message board allows for people's negative or positive personalities/tendencies to be expressed. We saw an example of this during DMac's final season. Personally, I have faith in what GMac is doing. He's building a system and putting together the integral parts. Cripes, he's pulling in Brackins from the east coast, and Wisconsin's top player (from what I've heard). Think about the '96 Big 8 championship squad. Man, talk about everyone playing their role! Jacy ran the show and distributed the ball, Dedric the deadeye from the arc, Kenny P would boggle my mind taking guys down low with his spin moves, Bankhead was a stopper, and Cato was the big man. I guess my point is, let's see how GMac's system works over the next few years.

Yeah, but none of those were from Iowa.

I think a lot of people didn't know what to think, never having heard of the guy in some instances, as well as the recent flameouts by some other top Iowa players.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

A lot of in-state white kids have panned out - Raef, Nick, Kirk ...

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 732
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCyed View Post
    Yeah, but none of those were from Iowa.

I think a lot of people didn't know what to think, never having heard of the guy in some instances, as well as the recent flameouts by some other top Iowa players.

But Klay Edwards was! My only point with bringing up the 96 team was that everyone seemed to have a roll and bought into Timmay's system.... it was amazing to watch just as that one season progressed.

Yes, some Iowa kids may not pan out... but I'm not even going to bother with the list of homegrown talent that has done quite well at ISU, the other in-state schools or other out of state programs. We all know who they are, and considering the population of Iowa, it's not too bad of a list.

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
    Wow now recruiting Gibbs is a stupid waste of time? After reading alot of threads i have a question for alot of u fans on here? Is there ever going to be a white kid from iowa that will ever be good enough for you to give ur permission for Mc Dermott to recruit? Good grief!
    I don't know what's more annoying: being told that skepticism isn't ok or being tentative about posting my opinion because I feel like somebody's gonna jump down my throat every time I wanna write something skeptical. In a way, it's hypocritical; you're shooing away somebody with an opinion. I'm sick of people being critical of people who are critical. Shut the h-e-double hockey sticks up and accept the fact that some people don't put on the happy glasses and see the same topics as you do in such a rosy shade.

All-Star
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,148
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

I can understand being skeptical...but look at McDermott's track record at every school he has coached at-why not give the guy a chance to show what he can do here...I also find it amazing that so many people talk about not caring about recruit rankings and stars...then when they find out he Gibbs doesn't have any stars and is a home-grown Iowa boy, they immediately talk about McDermott recruiting MVC level guys, then two days later when Gibbs is given four stars and ranked among the nation's top 100 players he's a must have...until McDermott proves me wrong, I'm going to trust his past track record of improving all of the programs he goes to, and always getting the most out of his talent...then again, that's only my opinion.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

I can remember when Jeff Boschee came home to the University of North Dakota....Roy Willams did a home and home with UND (for Jeff)...He also apparently tried to do this with all his kids, play a game in their home state...

Anyway, Both Nick Colison, and Kirk Hinrich were quoted in our local paper how envious they were of Jeff ....Jeff returns home to play in front of 13,000 fans at UND (Ralph Engelstad Arena) and gets a standing ovation (long one)...... They both said we return home and get BOOED..?

I guess my point is these kids I believe wanted to stay in Iowa and play, wanted the homestate to be proud of them....

with Coach Mac this is going to happen, he will get the best in state kids to play at ISU (no matter what color), and they will win and the whole state can be proud of them....

Another thing I have learned from Mac is.....
    It is not always about how good the player is....It's more about how good he can play within his system.

Last edited by coachdags; 05-09-2007 at 01:53 AM.

Starter Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

A difference with the good Iowa players today compared to in the past is that the good players today have much better exposure to competition in AAU ball, so they shouldn't be such a risk.

Walk On
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 402
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lastuvka View Post
    I don't know what's more annoying: being told that skepticism isn't ok or being tentative about posting my opinion because I feel like somebody's gonna jump down my throat every time I wanna write something skeptical. In a way, it's hypocritical; you're shooing away somebody with an opinion. I'm sick of people being critical of people who are critical. Shut the h-e-double hockey sticks up and accept the fact that some people don't put on the happy glasses and see the same topics as you do in such a rosy shade.
    Skepticism based upon some knowledge is reasonable. Skepticism based upon stereotypes, mis-information, no information, etc. is useless. People were critical of the Gibbs recruitment based upon the fact he was an unknown, unheard of kid from Iowa. Very few who posted knew anything about him. That to me is rather pointless and is looking at the glass half empty.

All-Star
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 681
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by clones_jer View Post
    A lot of in-state white kids have panned out - Raef, Nick, Kirk ...
    Whose daddy's all got job at KU

Kyle S. Flander

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

skeptical my a**

whining,crying, n refusing to consider a player is not being skeptical. I was going to type in my thread if i wasnt too lazy, how i would laugh my head off if when the newly revised holy scriptures known as lastest recruiting rankings, came out and Gibbs was a 3 star and 85-100 in nation. Im not saying im pychic but that is dang close. Funny how know he goes from worthless white iowa kid to someone we defenitaly should be going after. Ha Ha Ha!

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,476
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 64

Message boards are pretty much all opinions from people hiding behind a keyboard. Opinions are like buttholes, everyone has them and they all stink from time to time, some more then others.

GMac will do fine, with or without a bunch of people questioning his every move...

Addict
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,099
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36

Re: skeptical my a**

Quote Originally Posted by copenhagen View Post
    whining,crying, n refusing to consider a player is not being skeptical. I was going to type in my thread if i wasnt too lazy, how i would laugh my head off if when the newly revised holy scriptures known as lastest recruiting rankings, came out and Gibbs was a 3 star and 85-100 in nation. Im not saying im pychic but that is dang close. Funny how know he goes from worthless white iowa kid to someone we defenitaly should be going after. Ha Ha Ha!
    Copen, you also posted about a complaint about how people were skeptical of Vette. You have 9 posts total and you have spent all of them complaining about how posters ought to like these recruits more.

As I stated last time in regards to your Vette post, I believe a majority of posters do like these kids and want them at ISU. There is always a Bell Curve of opinions on a player. You are calling out those posters on the negative end of the Bell Curve. But for what purpose? Do ALL fans at ISU need to endorse a player? No, that would never happen. In fact, it really doesn't matter what the fans think since it is a coaching decision.

My suggestion is to spend more time posting your own opinion of these players and less time trying to refute other's opinions.

ISU Grad 1997.
    ISU Fan for Life.

Not in CO anymore but I'm not changing my name :)