Thread: Car audio help

Starter
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Car audio help

A few years back I got rid of my subwoofer in my Jeep because I thought it was a high school phase and that I needed to move on. But ever since I've always missed my 12" Alpine Type-R sub, so I have decided to purchase two 10" Alpine Type-R subs (I have a box for 2 ten's already). I already know that for subs that the RMS power is what you should really pay attention to (not peak performance) and the RMS power for each Type-R is 600 watts. Does this mean I need an amp capable of 600 RMS (2 or 4 ohm) @ 2? Or would it be 1200 RMS @ 2? I don't know much about audio/sound. The most expensive Alpine amps seem to only be able to push 300 RMS @ 2 and they can get up to the $900 range. Am I missing anything important here, or am I going to have to look at even MORE expensive amps by Rockford Fosgate or something?

I already have to pay $200 per sub and would like to stay within the $1000 range (so I will still be able to save up some money this summer).

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208
    Given: 161

Re: Car audio help

Quote Originally Posted by cycoOJfan89 View Post
    A few years back I got rid of my subwoofer in my Jeep because I thought it was a high school phase and that I needed to move on. But ever since I've always missed my 12" Alpine Type-R sub, so I have decided to purchase two 10" Alpine Type-R subs (I have a box for 2 ten's already). I already know that for subs that the RMS power is what you should really pay attention to (not peak performance) and the RMS power for each Type-R is 600 watts. Does this mean I need an amp capable of 600 RMS (2 or 4 ohm) @ 2? Or would it be 1200 RMS @ 2? I don't know much about audio/sound. The most expensive Alpine amps seem to only be able to push 300 RMS @ 2 and they can get up to the $900 range. Am I missing anything important here, or am I going to have to look at even MORE expensive amps by Rockford Fosgate or something?

I already have to pay $200 per sub and would like to stay within the $1000 range (so I will still be able to save up some money this summer).
    It is and you should.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 373
    Given: 598

I'm more inclined to just get one sub and get an amp that will power the speakers as well.

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

ALPINE BITS BIG FAT ONES..... want a good sub.... get the T-2D212 from Fosgate... for $419.00, Then run a Rockford Fosgate Punch P1000-1bd <see Link>
    1000 Watt Class-bd Mono Amplifier for 384.00 see link here also...OnlineCarStereo: Wholesale Car Audio Stereo video Deals At Bargain Prices

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    I'm more inclined to just get one sub and get an amp that will power the speakers as well.
    I tend to agree. One sub is plenty if you just want your bass to sound good rather than wake up the neighbors. I'm still using a single 12 and amp that I have had for about 10 years now. If I were buying something new I would get a nice 10" and 2 channel amp that I could bridge to adequately power it. The system you are looking at is serious overkill if you just want your music to sound good rather than be loud.