Google to challenge Windows?
Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Legend
    Points: 174,241, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alaskaguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    10,204
    Points
    174,241
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

    Google to challenge Windows?

    "Google by now must be ramping up its internal testing of the Chrome Operating System, says David Harry, president of search consultancy Reliable SEO. Google unveiled Chrome OS, a Windows alternative, at a press conference last November, promising its release by late this year."

    Link:
    Report: Google curtails Windows use as it ramps up Chrome OS - USATODAY.com


    "If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 209,708, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    50131
    Posts
    13,901
    Points
    209,708
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 436
    Given: 642

    Re: Google to challenge Windows?

    Can't wait



  3. #3
    Addict
    Points: 83,325, Level: 89
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,038
    Points
    83,325
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 0

    Re: Google to challenge Windows?

    After the success that Android has had I think that Microsoft should be worried. I don't think that Google will overtake Microsoft in the near future, but they could take enough of a chunk to make Microsoft hurt a lot.



  4. #4
    Speechless
    Points: 423,967, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,776
    Points
    423,967
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 864
    Given: 413

    Re: Google to challenge Windows?

    from all ive heard, chrome os isnt supposed to be a complete full-featured os, more like an internet-focused os, so theyre a bit different markets.. it might be a bit simpler... but if it also has the same issues as apple does with app compatibility vs windows, will it do any better than just splitting that market segment with apple?



  5. #5
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 362,181, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    23,223
    Points
    362,181
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 859

    Re: Google to challenge Windows?

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    from all ive heard, chrome os isnt supposed to be a complete full-featured os, more like an internet-focused os, so theyre a bit different markets.. it might be a bit simpler... but if it also has the same issues as apple does with app compatibility vs windows, will it do any better than just splitting that market segment with apple?
    In the appropriate market segment - netbooks + iPad - it should be very competitive. Especially if it's free and offered on inexpensive hardware.


    Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"

  6. #6
    Speechless
    Points: 423,967, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 34.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,776
    Points
    423,967
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 864
    Given: 413

    Re: Google to challenge Windows?

    Quote Originally Posted by TykeClone View Post
    In the appropriate market segment - netbooks + iPad - it should be very competitive. Especially if it's free and offered on inexpensive hardware.
    yeah, but arent they already doing android for that?



  7. #7
    Cyclone42
    Guest

    Re: Google to challenge Windows?

    I trust Microsoft more than Google when it comes to privacy considerations. Google wants everybody to stop storing their data locally on PCs, and start storing it on the "cloud" (on remote systems, like Google). When asked about privacy matters, the president of Google once said something to the effect that, if anyone wants something kept private, he or she must be doing something wrong.

    Then there is the incidents in Germany when their "street-view" trucks collected private data from unsecured wi-fi networks.

    Germany launches criminal investigation of Google - Computerworld

    I do NOT trust Google. I like Ubuntu, and I will continue to use that.



  8. #8
    Addict
    Points: 83,325, Level: 89
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 425
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    6,038
    Points
    83,325
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 0

    Re: Google to challenge Windows?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    I trust Microsoft more than Google when it comes to privacy considerations. Google wants everybody to stop storing their data locally on PCs, and start storing it on the "cloud" (on remote systems, like Google). When asked about privacy matters, the president of Google once said something to the effect that, if anyone wants something kept private, he or she must be doing something wrong.

    Then there is the incidents in Germany when their "street-view" trucks collected private data from unsecured wi-fi networks.

    Germany launches criminal investigation of Google - Computerworld

    I do NOT trust Google. I like Ubuntu, and I will continue to use that.
    Personally, if I need to keep something private (tax returns, finances, ect) I don't even keep it on my computer's hard drive anymore. Everything like that I run from an external. Nowadays with viruses, trojan horses, and lighting strikes you could be just at risk on your home computer than on Google's servers. The best thing is to trust none of these companies and secure your data yourself. Don't blame Google for your unsecured network, if you leave it open then someone will eventually get your stuff. That's just paying the stupid tax.



  9. #9
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 362,181, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    23,223
    Points
    362,181
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 859

    Re: Google to challenge Windows?

    Quote Originally Posted by alarson View Post
    yeah, but arent they already doing android for that?
    From what I've read, I think that chrome OS is just a superset of android and not as complete of an operating system as any other flavor of linux.


    Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"

  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 387,694, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    24,013
    Points
    387,694
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 773
    Given: 605

    Re: Google to challenge Windows?

    I dont think Google will completely overtake MS. MS has its roots in so many things. If anything, I think they will kind of compliment each other in various electronics around the house.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 78,745, Level: 87
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,405
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,323
    Points
    78,745
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 17

    Re: Google to challenge Windows?

    Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    After the success that Android has had I think that Microsoft should be worried. I don't think that Google will overtake Microsoft in the near future, but they could take enough of a chunk to make Microsoft hurt a lot.
    While true, I think we have to understand how truly large Microsoft's share of the market is. Even with OS X going strong for a long time, they only have a 5% market share in the OS realm.

    Even if Chrome OS "outsold" Windows 250 to 1 everyday, it would take at least a few years for them to have a respectable market share vs. Windows.



  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 78,745, Level: 87
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,405
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Chicago, Il
    Posts
    6,323
    Points
    78,745
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 69
    Given: 17

    Re: Google to challenge Windows?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    I trust Microsoft more than Google when it comes to privacy considerations. Google wants everybody to stop storing their data locally on PCs, and start storing it on the "cloud" (on remote systems, like Google). When asked about privacy matters, the president of Google once said something to the effect that, if anyone wants something kept private, he or she must be doing something wrong.

    Then there is the incidents in Germany when their "street-view" trucks collected private data from unsecured wi-fi networks.

    Germany launches criminal investigation of Google - Computerworld

    I do NOT trust Google. I like Ubuntu, and I will continue to use that.
    What they were collecting wasn't very "sensitive" as in, it's not actual people's personal info. It's just MAC addresses of devices within networks. However, I have to wonder why the hell they were doing that in the first place? They say that's a mistake, but....I mean..yeah, no that doesn't sound like a mistake.



  13. #13
    Burgermeister!
    Points: 362,181, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    TykeClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    23,223
    Points
    362,181
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 859

    Re: Google to challenge Windows?

    Quote Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
    What they were collecting wasn't very "sensitive" as in, it's not actual people's personal info. It's just MAC addresses of devices within networks. However, I have to wonder why the hell they were doing that in the first place? They say that's a mistake, but....I mean..yeah, no that doesn't sound like a mistake.
    They were collecting private data and not just MAC addresses.

    The reason that they were gathering MAC addresses is that they can use those in a database to locate you on a google map without resorting to GPS.


    Asteroids are nature's way of asking "How's that space program going?"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM