Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nielsen to Iowa

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Nielsen to Iowa

Tyler Nielsen from Humboldt has evidently commited to Iowa along with his teammate Cody Hundermart. I was hoping ISU would get one of these kids given that Humboldt is only a hour and a half from Ames.

CF Founder
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 139

Re: Nielsen to Iowa

I think when it's all said and done, we will most likely lose all 5 top recruits in-state to Iowa. We have a ways to go to get to the national level their program has gotten to. I don't like Iowa but admire their football program for it's consistency given it's location and fanbase;)

A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

Thumbs Up

It seems at time we get the leftovers, that's for sure. In my opinion the Duncun, Criner, and Walden years really set us back big time. McCarney has made strides but sitll is fighting an uphill battle.........if only ISU could have won back to back North championships to give him recruiting bragging rights. I dislike Iowa too but also envious.

Thumbs Up

When a kid grows up liking Iowa Like we like ISU.. It's hard to convince them to go to ISU when they are offered by Iowa... It is the same thing when ISU offers a kid that grew up a state fan... The only one I see with no real allegiance is Bernstein and I don't think he will be at Iowa or Iowa State.. Somthing tells me he is looking even bigger than that..

Clones Rule

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 688
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 14

It's all about tradition, and Iowa has us thoroughly pinned in that respect. It takes years, maybe even decades, to overthrow a dynasty like that.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

Last year we got the majority of the top 10 recruits in Iowa. It's a yearly thing that is in no way a real reflection of where each program stands. 10 years ago yes - now, no. I'd be surprised if either of them turns into an all Big-10 player anyway.

Thumbs Up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Last year we got the majority of the top 10 recruits in Iowa. It's a yearly thing that is in no way a real reflection of where each program stands. 10 years ago yes - now, no. I'd be surprised if either of them turns into an all Big-10 player anyway.
    [/b][/quote]

I understand we got the majority of Iowa kids, but according to my Hawkeye boss, Iowa only offered one scholorship to a Iowa prep last year and that was Arnaud who of course went to ISU.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>
    When a kid grows up liking Iowa Like we like ISU.. It's hard to convince them to go to ISU when they are offered by Iowa... It is the same thing when ISU offers a kid that grew up a state fan... The only one I see with no real allegiance is Bernstein and I don't think he will be at Iowa or Iowa State.. Somthing tells me he is looking even bigger than that..
    [/b][/quote]

Drew: both kids from Humboldt came from families that are ISU fans. The problem with recruiting in state kids is that we do not have a marquee season behind us. Mac had the opportunity the last two years, but frittered it away. If you were a top recruit in the state of Iowa, you would also be hard pressed to go to ISU over Iowa based on the coaches recent season and bowl game results. BTW, the same thing can be said for the Brodell kid from Ankeny, i.e. ISU parents.

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9

I understand we got the majority of Iowa kids, but according to my Hawkeye boss, Iowa only offered one scholorship to a Iowa prep last year and that was Arnaud who of course went to ISU.
    [/quote]

I don't know it that's true but think of it this way, why offer if a kid says I'm going to Iowa State? We can spin it any way we want and so can they. Tell your boss that we beat him pretty bad with Iowa kids last year that I'm sure Iowa wasn't interested in. **** him!

Thumbs Up

The Sandeman kid came from a Cyclone family. One of his parents is a ISU graduate along with other relatives who are ISU graduates. Regardless, there certainly was more of a ISU connection than Iowa. Simply put, the Iowa tradition, fan base, won out over the good guys.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

[/quote]
    [/quote]

Iowa fans can be as snooty as they want. Every year D-Mac wil just lead in another group of ******-off Iowans to smack them around.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 405
    Given: 189

All 3 of the kids claim to have grown up Iowa fans and the two Humboldt kids have sisters at Iowa..... that certainly makes an impact.

don't mind losing Sandeman as we are loaded at receiver, but I would've loved getting the DT.

Prospect
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 367
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Don't know where the idea was from that either two Humboldt kids came from families that were fans of ISU. Siimply not true!!! Especially one of the families has little if anything positivie to say about ISU at all, athletically or in any other aspect. It is almost too bad McCarney even offered them because there is no way they were headed to ISU and gives the Hawkeye fans a chance to say become even bigger egotists.

Prospect
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Everything I have heard is they are all Iowa fans... Oh well, Mac will find good use for the scholarships someplace.

Only the brave (and perhaps stupid) would have the guts to stand in the U of Iowa student section the week before the ISU game and announce that you bleed cardinal and gold. I may have gone to school at U of I for seven years, but my loyalties never wavered.

Prospect Achievements:

Thumbs Up

I do not know about Brodell's family, but he grew up an Iowa fan. He was dying to get an offer from Iowa, that is the school he really wanted to play for.