Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Cyclone42

"The Hobbit" is dead

Totally, completely, utterly dead.

Peter Jackson is denying it, of course, but facts are facts. The project is dead, period.

Director Guillermo Del Toro Leaves "The Hobbit" - ABC News

Guillermo del Toro on 'Hobbit' Delays andMGM - Get The Big Picture -

These articles don't completely explain what is going on, but apparently MGM is about to go under, and owns part of the production rights to the Hobbit movies. Production of the movies couldn't go forward because of the financial situation at MGM (why, I don't know -- I thought Warner and New Line were producing the movies), so Guillermo del Toro was forced to drop out of production of the movies so he could go own with the plethora of other movies he is contracted to direct for Universal.

I think Guillermo del Toro is an excellent visionary and an excellent director, and was REALLY looking forward to seeing these movies developed fully under his leadership. Without that, I am sure they will suck. At best, they will not be anywhere near as good as they could have been under del Toro. Guillermo del Toro is one of the best director-cinematographers in the business, and a Tolkien film is all about cinematography.

Starter
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 785
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 18

Re: "The Hobbit" is dead

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    Totally, completely, utterly dead.

Peter Jackson is denying it, of course, but facts are facts. The project is dead, period.

Director Guillermo Del Toro Leaves "The Hobbit" - ABC News

Guillermo del Toro on 'Hobbit' Delays andMGM - Get The Big Picture -

These articles don't completely explain what is going on, but apparently MGM is about to go under, and owns part of the production rights to the Hobbit movies. Production of the movies couldn't go forward because of the financial situation at MGM (why, I don't know -- I thought Warner and New Line were producing the movies), so Guillermo del Toro was forced to drop out of production of the movies so he could go own with the plethora of other movies he is contracted to direct for Universal.

I think Guillermo del Toro is an excellent visionary and an excellent director, and was REALLY looking forward to seeing these movies developed fully under his leadership. Without that, I am sure they will suck. At best, they will not be anywhere near as good as they could have been under del Toro. Guillermo del Toro is one of the best director-cinematographers in the business, and a Tolkien film is all about cinematography.
    Too bad. I had been looking forward to another Tolkien based flick.

Starter
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Argh--that stinks. Would love to see "The Hobbit" and (a good) "Dune."

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I would think they would have the compenents for a great Hobbit movie. I always thought the only key would be developing a great Smaug, and improving on the Goblins. Most of the other parts should be in place from the Jackson Trilogy.

Lifetime Achievement- In on page 1 of a THujone MS Paint thread.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,273
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17

That's just completely not true. I'm an AVID follower of this stuff...lifelong LOTR geek. MGM is almost certain to be bought out...OR...it will sell off the rights to the Hobbit. Either way, with Del Toro and Peter Jackson standing by with completed ******* and budgeting plan...the movie will move forward...actually as two movies. Its been delayed till 2012/2013 time frame, but there is really zero doubt that production will be going by mid 2011. The LOTR series made over 3 billion dollars...that alone is an absolute GUARANTEE that the Hobbit gets made...timing may flux a bit...but things will clear up at MGM, one way or the other, and this project is first on the plate.

Addict
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,098
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 40

I didn't know MGM was in that bad a shape. Another grand old name studio on the rocks.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I didn't know MGM was in that bad a shape. Another grand old name studio on the rocks.
    I've been a Tolkien fan forever. I agree there's way too much money involved for this not to get off the ground.

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 57

The movies will be made. They will be epic.

The real piece in this puzzle was to get P. Jackson signed on, and he is, so everything will turn out like gold. I can't wait to see these movies.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 307
    Given: 86

I can't think of a movie I'm anticipating more than this one. I absolutely love the book, and I've never seen anyone translate book to movie the way Jackson did with LOTR.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Starter
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    I can't think of a movie I'm anticipating more than this one. I absolutely love the book, and I've never seen anyone translate book to movie the way Jackson did with LOTR.
    I thought the Fellowship was closest to the original text. I really hope they stay true to the story.

Cyclone42

Quote Originally Posted by Mesaclone1 View Post
    That's just completely not true. I'm an AVID follower of this stuff...lifelong LOTR geek. MGM is almost certain to be bought out...OR...it will sell off the rights to the Hobbit. Either way, with Del Toro and Peter Jackson standing by with completed ******* and budgeting plan...the movie will move forward...actually as two movies. Its been delayed till 2012/2013 time frame, but there is really zero doubt that production will be going by mid 2011. The LOTR series made over 3 billion dollars...that alone is an absolute GUARANTEE that the Hobbit gets made...timing may flux a bit...but things will clear up at MGM, one way or the other, and this project is first on the plate.
    They may find a new director. But it will suck compared to what it could have been had del Toro directed it fully. I will NOT be seeing it. I'd always wonder, "this could have been SO much better!!"

All-Star
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 206
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 57

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone42 View Post
    They may find a new director. But it will suck compared to what it could have been had del Toro directed it fully. I will NOT be seeing it. I'd always wonder, "this could have been SO much better!!"
    I don't agree. Plus Del Tor is staying on to help out with the ****** for a few months longer and has already had a major influence on the movies look. P. Jackson won't allow this film to go into the *******. I'm sure there are directors lining up already to take a shot at living, breathing and directing the Hobbit down in New Zealand for the next six years. Everything will work out fine.

Cyclone42

Quote Originally Posted by helechopper View Post
    I don't agree. Plus Del Tor is staying on to help out with the ****** for a few months longer and has already had a major influence on the movies look. P. Jackson won't allow this film to go into the *******. I'm sure there are directors lining up already to take a shot at living, breathing and directing the Hobbit down in New Zealand for the next six years. Everything will work out fine.
    OK, so who? It would have to be someone prominent, someone with an established track record. You wouldn't want to hand a project like this to an unknown director. But I can't think of any movie, by any director, with overall cinematography, costuming, and set design, etc. to compare with Pan's Labyrinth, for instance. Sorry, there is just NOBODY else out there to compare with Guillermo del Toro for a project like this. He was perfect for this.

Pro
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 22

Ok, I LOVE LOTR....LOVE them. But a movie just about Hobbits? Sounds boring to me. Anybody know the premise of the plot?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 138
    Given: 68

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    Ok, I LOVE LOTR....LOVE them. But a movie just about Hobbits? Sounds boring to me. Anybody know the premise of the plot?
    The book "The Hobbit"