Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 25
    Given: 50

Insight Minnesota Victory & Jack Trice

I'm perplexed that no one in the media or here has had any insight into the significance of the Minnesota victory and it's connection to Jack Trice, so here are my thoughts.

In Jack Trice's Oct. 5, 1923 letter to himself before the Minnesota game he stated "The honor of my race, family, and self is at stake. Everyone is expecting me to do big things. I will!" This sound like a man on a mission to represent and open doors for more black men to have opportunities to attend college and play sports and who holds himself to do the best he can. And to Win the game.

ISU lost that game to Minnesota in 1923 17-20 and Jack Trice died two days later due to injuries sustained during the game. ISU and Minnesota played regularly up until 1924, but the last time ISU beat Minnesota was in 1898 by a score of 6-0.

Since Jack Trice died in 1923, ISU has never defeated Minnesota - until 2009. In fact, the all-time ISU-Minnesota record is 3-22-1. The last regularly scheduled game came in 1924 and most likely in a bid to win for Jack Trice, ISU tied Minnesota 7-7, but failed to win.

Flash forward 86 years to December 31, 2009 and ISU beats Minnesota in a bowl game 14-13. The offensive and defensive MVP's of the game are black men. The starting QB is a black man. The running backs coach is a black man who played in the NFL. All of these men represented ISU, their race and families well. Chris Lyle, the defensive MVP of the Insight bowl victory, is getting a shot to play in the NFL as we speak now.

I would say that a unified group of black men and white men, jew and gentile, protestant and catholic joined together that day with the black men leading the way to finally and properly fulfill Jack Trice's mission of victory over Minnesota and for equal opportunities for all races. The 2009 ISU Football team did this by making it to college and the NFL. By graduating. By opening doors for others. And by finally winning the game against Minnesota for a trophy. A trophy that should be dedicated to the honor and memory of Jack Trice's mission.

I would love to see two more MVP-sized Insight bowl trophies awarded for this game. One that is bronzed and put over the right shoulder of the Jack Trice Stadium sculpture with a letter composed and signed by the entire 2009 ISU football team - including those who have moved on if possible honoring and completing Jack's mission. Because they were all a part of that historical and significant event. Put a bronzed copy of their 2009 letter over Jack's left shoulder.

The second MVP trophy would be awarded to Jack Trice's surviving family members at the unveiling ceremony for the bronzed one with the letter above, with a copy of the team letter handed them as well.

ISU vs. Minnesota historical record:
    Iowa State Game by Game against Opponents

For the very few who don't know the story, Jack Trice was ISU's first black athlete. See links for the details.
    http://www.cyclones.com//pdf4/140036...B_OEM_ID=10700

Jack Trice Sculpture Finished On East Concourse - Iowa State University Athletics Official Web Site - www.CYCLONES.com - The home of Iowa State Cyclone Sports

The Jack Trice pre-Minnesota Game letter:
    http://www.museums.iastate.edu/AOCFa.../jacktrice.pdf

The Letter
    To whom it may concern, Oct.5, 1923
    My thoughts just before the first real college game of my life. The honor of my
    race, family, and self is at stake. Everyone is expecting me to do big things. I will!
    My whole body and soul are to be thrown recklessly about the field tomorrow. Everytime
    the ball is snapped, I will be trying to do more than my part.
    On all defensive plays I must break thru the opponents’ line and stop the play in
    their territory. Beware of mass interference - - fight low with your eyes open and toward
    the play. Roll-back the interference. Watch out for cross bucks and reverse end runs.
    Be on your toes every minute if you expect to make good.
    7:45 Jack

Last edited by ShopTalk; 05-29-2010 at 03:19 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,276
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 101

Re: Insight Minnesota Victory & Jack Trice

I think that is because most people recognize the significance of Jack Trice but also realize that pretty much everyone involved is also long dead and that the bowl win had absolutely nothing to do with that game other than the same two teams played. I for one am very familiar with the Jack Trice legend and it barely crossed my mind at the bowl game. At Iowa State, winning a bowl game is monumental by itself, no need to turn it into something bigger.

Last edited by everyyard; 05-29-2010 at 07:14 PM.
    ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 0

That is a fascinating point of history...and its very surprising that nobody really brought this up after the game (or before).

We've come a long way.

All-Star
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 750
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by everyyard View Post
    I think that is because most people recognize the significance of Jack Trice but also realize that pretty much everyone involved is also long dead and that the bowl win had absolutely nothing to do with that game other than the same two teams played. I for one am very familiar with the Jack Trice legend and it barely crossed my mind at the bowl game. At Iowa State, winning a bowl game is monumental by itself, no need to turn it into something bigger.
    Some missions take longer than one lifetime to fulfill.

Have you never read or heard a seed must fall to the ground [i.e. die, fall to the ground dead] to bear fruit and increase 100 fold?

Celebrating the social and financial gains envisioned by a student athlete in a very different time IMO is far more significant and bigger than winning a football game which in and of itself has no inherent value or meaning other than entertainment and bragging rights about "who's the best athlete/school".

And as you say, "winning a bowl game [for ISU] is monumental by itself", so how can it be overstated? How many ISU bowl trophies are there?

That said, your view may be the leading opinion and why nothing has been said about it.

Last edited by ShopTalk; 05-29-2010 at 03:43 PM.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Pro
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,336
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 75

people need to stop quoting the OP when they are the next man in...

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    people need to stop quoting the OP when they are the next man in...
    Especially when it's a novel and they're not referencing anything specific...

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleClone View Post
    Especially when it's a novel and they're not referencing anything specific...
    or when some debate goes back and forth for 19 posts, and THE WHOLE THING gets requoted over and over and over. Major pet peeve to scrioll through 8 miles of stuff.
    Not trying to attack anyone...just sayin.

No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

BTW, Shoptalk...didn't you have a much more awesome avatar a few days ago?

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I used to have a flying V, and yeah, they're cooler.

I just love the look of this one, maybe I'll change it up here again to another one soon.

Last edited by ShopTalk; 05-29-2010 at 10:32 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,276
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 101

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    or when some debate goes back and forth for 19 posts, and THE WHOLE THING gets requoted over and over and over. Major pet peeve to scrioll through 8 miles of stuff.
    Not trying to attack anyone...just sayin.
    or when a couple of posters take over a thread debating about what annoys them most not realizing that their debate is more annoying than what started it?

ALL IN
    www.cyclonejerseys.com
    Always buying historically relevant ISU gear

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 4

This is cool, thank for the insight. Hadn't seen it before.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Nice article, that was a huge win for Iowa State.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 114

I guess, personally, I was extremely aware of the whole history surrounding Jack Trice, and his story, leading up to the game. I've always felt strongly about it, and I think most ISU fans do as well. I remember being enraged to the point where I wanted to fight the next person I saw in an Iowa shirt, when some Hawkeye blog compared Jack Trice to Nile Kinnick and called Trice, "a pedophile *****". The blocked word rhymes with "wussy". They called him a pedophile because his wife was 17 (which wasn't shocking in that time period) and a ***** because he died from his injuries on the field. It was one of the most disgusting things I'd ever seen, beside seeing an Iowa fan try and put a Hawk hat on Jack's statue in 2003. Let's just say that guy didn't make it very far before he got some Irish sunglasses (not by me, but by the crowd around him).

Anyways, the Jack Trice story is one of those things I'm very aware of, think a lot of other Cyclone fans are aware of, and something that makes me proud to be a Cyclone.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.