Thread: USA vs Turkey

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

USA vs Turkey

Send-off game for the USA. Hopefully they come away with a convincing win to give confidence to themselves and the fans.

International Friendly Preview: USA vs. Turkey

Who: United States vs. Turkey
    What: International Friendly
    When: Saturday, May 29; 2 p.m .ET
    Where: Lincoln Financial Field; Philadelphia, PA
    TV: ESPN2 and Galavision

Bob Bradley has his 23 men; now it's time to get to work. On Saturday afternoon, the United States Men's National Team battles Turkey in their first appearance since the American coach announced his final World Cup roster. The friendly marks an opportunity for players to demonstrate where they fit on the pitch, and the Stars and Stripes coaching staff will use the match to help determine a starting lineup against England. The U.S. will play the best side it can field and should come out on top.

The First True Test
    On Tuesday night against the Czech Republic, Bradley's choices reflected a desire to cut the team from 30 players to 23. With that task accomplished, he now turns to the arduous "team-building" process designed to prepare the U.S. squad for their battles in South Africa. He's hinted that the 11 men who start against Turkey will also feature versus England on June 12. While the backline is riddled with injuries and could change dramatically during the next two weeks, the frontline that takes the Lincoln Financial Center pitch will be what the Three Lions see: Jozy Altidore and Clint Dempsey up top and a midfield of (l to r) Landon Donovan, Maurice Edu, Michael Bradley, and Stuart Holden. Producing a couple goals against a side that only conceded 10 during UEFA World Cup qualifying would give the U.S. confidence heading to South Africa.

Help, We Need Somebody
    That would be Bradley's cry for his defense. Oguchi Onyewu returned after a seven-month absence and played 65 minutes against the Czechs. He looked okay -- getting beat in the air by Tomas Sivok on the first goal -- but simply playing was a big step. The status of Carlos Bocanegra and Jay DeMerit continue to raise concerns. Clarence Goodson played quite well against the Czech Republic, both offensively and defensively, and could get another start if one of the duo can't return. And then there's the ever-present problem of left back. Jonathan Bornstein didn't make any mistakes that led directly to a goal, but he played poorly regardless. Heath Pearce was worse and didn't make the U.S. roster as a result of Tuesday night's debacle. Could Bradley try DaMarcus Beasley on the left? Probably not, but you never know...

Turkey Trot
    The Crescent Stars defeated the Czechs 2-1 last weekend in the inaugural Red Bull Arena international friendly and feature stars including Emre Belozoglu, Nihat Kahveci, and Arda Turan. The side didn't qualify for South Africa -- finishing behind Spain and Belgium in Group 5 -- but new manager Guus Hiddik wants to start the rebuilding process immediately. Emre Azik and Okan Burak, members of the squad that finished third in the 2002 World Cup, retired during an emotional moment at the match in New Jersey. Turkey's starting over and provides an excellent test for the U.S.
    Projected U.S. Line Up
    ----------------------Howard------------------
    Cherundolo--Onyewu--Goodson--Bornstein
    Holden------Edu------Bradley------Donovan
    ------------Dempsey------Altidore------------
    Projected Turkey Line Up
    ------------------Demirel------------------
    Sarioglu----Cetin----Birinci----Gungor
    Turan--Sen--Belozoglu--Inan--Bahadir
    ------------------Altintop------------------

Goal.com prediction
    United States 2-1 Turkey

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 114
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 7

Re: USA vs Turkey

Is there a bookie for this?

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 76

Oguchi not starting today... edit: Dempsey starting up top

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

The back line is scaring me quite a bit. The US could be down 3-0 at this point.

Rookie
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

I hate Jonathan Spector so much. Left back is going to kill us in South Africa.

Walk On
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by norseclone View Post
    I hate Jonathan Spector so much. Left back is going to kill us in South Africa.
    I don't mind Spector (better than Bornstein) but he is NOT having a good game. It wasn't completely his fault on the goal, as one of the mids needed to drop back to help when he pushed forward.

I agree that our fullbacks are the weakest part of the team. Boca playing at LB doesn't worry me as much though. However, it's been pretty obvious that the CB pairing of DeMerit/Goodson don't have much chemistry together. We really need a full-strength Onyewu back.

So far at halftime, Dempsey hasn't done much. Altidore was invisible except for the one chance where he beat his man and almost set up Dempsey. Donovan hasn't been as involved as we need him to be. Basically, our "key" guys need to do a better job of stepping up.

Hopefully the subs will make an impact.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 150
    Given: 76

Dempsey is a badass. That is all.

Walk On
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by spk123 View Post
    I don't mind Spector (better than Bornstein) but he is NOT having a good game. It wasn't completely his fault on the goal, as one of the mids needed to drop back to help when he pushed forward.

I agree that our fullbacks are the weakest part of the team. Boca playing at LB doesn't worry me as much though. However, it's been pretty obvious that the CB pairing of DeMerit/Goodson don't have much chemistry together. We really need a full-strength Onyewu back.

So far at halftime, Dempsey hasn't done much. Altidore was invisible except for the one chance where he beat his man and almost set up Dempsey. Donovan hasn't been as involved as we need him to be. Basically, our "key" guys need to do a better job of stepping up.

Hopefully the subs will make an impact.
    Well, the three "key" guys that I mentioned definitely stepped up. Jozy and Dempsey had goals, Donovan had both assists. Great to see.

The real difference was the subs made at halftime. I love Torres, I've never liked how Bradley insists on playing 2 defensive minded midfielders (Bradley/Clark/Edu) together in an "empty bucket" shape. Torres inclusion shows how much we need a ball-playing guy to partner with a more defensive player. Plus, he was a left-footed threat on that free kick towards the end.

Cherundolo provided a lot more stability at the back coming on for Spector. Onyewu played much better than against the Czechs and both really shored up our defense in the second half.

Findley's speed added a different dimension, but he always dribbles himself out of space and has no final ball. His pass to Donovan setting up the first goal was really nice though.

Bornstein coming on for Bocanegra confirmed why Bornstein should not be seeing the field in South Africa except as a late-game attacking fullback. He once again was exposed and beaten consistently.

Overall, a great second half and a deserved victory. Hopefully this will give the boys confidence going into the tournament.

Pro
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,451
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

2nd half was much better. Still need to improve in the back 3rd, but I'll take it. The subs were very very impressive. Got to have that speed out there.

The one constant through all the years, Ray, has been baseball. America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray. It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again. Oh... people will come Ray. People will most definitely come.

All-Star
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 715
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 4

Ricardo Clark was absolutely terrible in the CM today. If Bob wants a defensive mid alongside Michael then try Mo Edu against Australia next Sat. If that doesn't work I say start Feilhaber or Torres in CM with Bradley. I have always looked at Michael Bradley as more of a defensive Mid with US Men's team anyway.

Starter
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 46

Quote Originally Posted by CYcoFan View Post
    Ricardo Clark was absolutely terrible in the CM today. If Bob wants a defensive mid alongside Michael then try Mo Edu against Australia next Sat. If that doesn't work I say start Feilhaber or Torres in CM with Bradley. I have always looked at Michael Bradley as more of a defensive Mid with US Men's team anyway.
    I didn't think Clark was that bad. The problem is, he is a similar player to Bradley, as you eluded. I would say the players struggling the most today include Bornstein, Feilhaber and (maybe) Spector.

I do agree with you that both Clark and Bradley are defensive mids, and I truly hope Torres starts against the English. Even though the English may be a little physical, and will probably try to push Torres around, he should be able to stand his ground. He is very tidy with the ball, sees the field well and maintains his composure over the ball very well. I don't think we've seen as skilled and tidy of a player since Reyna in his heyday.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Torres as field manager for the team for the next 8 - 10 years. He brings an element of quality to a U.S. side that usually only has three of the four essential elements for a great team - 1. athleticism (fitness/pace); 2. organization; 3. skill (without the ball); and, 4. skill (on the ball). We usually are sorely lacking in skill on the ball, largely dribbling. We struggle to create chances by dribbling and as a team I have to admit that the U.S. players may have the worst first touch of almost any team at the World Cup (it's atrocious sometimes), but Torres truly possesses these skills from watching him in the Mexican league and for the U.S. We need a change of pace like him out on the field!