Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 8

Bicycle rider in Marathon Killed

Didn't see this posted.

UPDATE: Laurens-Marathon teacher killed in bike accident - KTIV NewsChannel 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

I feel bad for the girl who hit him since it was one of her teachers in high school. I also feel bad for the family and friends of his.

I do think this can be a learning lesson for all bikers out there. I love riding my bike but hate riding on roads unless on a group ride or in a large groups. I think a few things all us bikers can learn from this...

1. Don't ride on a popular road alone... I see way too many bikers riding on the Norwalk to Cumming road, even with a person dying on it last year. It's not safe.

2. Don't ride in curtain directions when the sun can play a factor. The person killed was riding west out of Marathon at 8pm when the sun would be in a west bound drivers eyes. I know there are many times the sun has been in my eyes bad enough I would never see a biker in time to stop.

3. Yes I know bikers legally have a right to the road, but please use your head. Stay as close to the side of the road as possible... Stay as visible as possible. Have lights on at night. Have more then one back flashing light at night.

I hate hearing about people dying on a bike cause it turns into a debate. We can share the road the correct way, but curtain roads and times are just stupid.

I almost pegged a rider a few weeks back driving north out of Norwalk on N28 heading toward Valley Junction. There was a storm coming in and it got dark very fast with rain falling. For some reason some guy was riding his bike on the four lane road with dark biking gear on and no flashers.... I so badly wanted to stop him and hit him over the head for being stupid. He's not the only person I felt this way.... I have seen too many bikers riding down Ashworth, Railroad, and even Grand Ave when there is a perfectly wide sidewalk for them to use. Yes... I know you have a right to the road again, but I have never seen a biker get hit on a side walk or get a ticket...

Chile Mac is Back!
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 334

Re: Bicycle rider in Marathon Killed

Sad story. I wish the family the best during this tough time.

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 29
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by bellzisu View Post
    Didn't see this posted.

UPDATE: Laurens-Marathon teacher killed in bike accident - KTIV NewsChannel 4 Sioux City IA: News, Weather and Sports

I feel bad for the girl who hit him since it was one of her teachers in high school. I also feel bad for the family and friends of his.

I do think this can be a learning lesson for all bikers out there. I love riding my bike but hate riding on roads unless on a group ride or in a large groups. I think a few things all us bikers can learn from this...

1. Don't ride on a popular road alone... I see way too many bikers riding on the Norwalk to Cumming road, even with a person dying on it last year. It's not safe.

2. Don't ride in curtain directions when the sun can play a factor. The person killed was riding west out of Marathon at 8pm when the sun would be in a west bound drivers eyes. I know there are many times the sun has been in my eyes bad enough I would never see a biker in time to stop.

3. Yes I know bikers legally have a right to the road, but please use your head. Stay as close to the side of the road as possible... Stay as visible as possible. Have lights on at night. Have more then one back flashing light at night.

I hate hearing about people dying on a bike cause it turns into a debate. We can share the road the correct way, but curtain roads and times are just stupid.

I almost pegged a rider a few weeks back driving north out of Norwalk on N28 heading toward Valley Junction. There was a storm coming in and it got dark very fast with rain falling. For some reason some guy was riding his bike on the four lane road with dark biking gear on and no flashers.... I so badly wanted to stop him and hit him over the head for being stupid. He's not the only person I felt this way.... I have seen too many bikers riding down Ashworth, Railroad, and even Grand Ave when there is a perfectly wide sidewalk for them to use. Yes... I know you have a right to the road again, but I have never seen a biker get hit on a side walk or get a ticket...
    ugh...

As far as depth goes though, the combination of White, Woodbury, Olaseni, Basabe, and Uthoff is much better than Niang, Ejim, Edozie, Gibson. Not because of the top 2, but because of the next 2 or 3. -DeanVogs

Addict
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jmb View Post
    ugh...
    Ugh cause it's the truth... Or that I'm bringing it up???

Trust me... I love biking more then anyone almost since I got into it a few years ago. But I would rather take a side walk then end up being a story in the news and another statistic.

Legend
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Bicyclists certainly need to be alert to the conditions that they are riding in. But at the same time, motorists need to take some responsibility and realize that just because they are traveling in a bigger heavier vehicle that they need to be cautious.

It cuts both ways....I have seen bicyclists that I thought needed to be chastised and I have had encounters with motorists that needed a brisk hit over the head.

"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." Albert Einstein
    "If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Dress cute wherever you go, life is too short to blend in." Paris Hilton
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Chile Mac is Back!
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 131
    Given: 334

Just an advance heads up here: Let's focus on the story and the tragedy of it, and not rehash the same old arguments. Please.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Ugh cause it's the truth... Or that I'm bringing it up???

Trust me... I love biking more then anyone almost since I got into it a few years ago. But I would rather take a side walk then end up being a story in the news and another statistic.
    So when you are traveling in a car and there is a semi-tractor on the same road do you pull over and allow the semi-tractor to pass and not resume traveling until the semi-tractor is out of sight?

"If your worried about falling off the bike, you'd never get on" Lance Armstrong
    "Money is one of the greatest instruments of freedom ever invented by man." F.A. Hayek

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    So when it is you and a semi-tractor on the same road do you pull over and allow the semi-tractor to pass and not resume traveling until the semi-tractor is out of sight?
    My thoughts since your asking.... When I bike... I ride in groups. Visible. Single file when vehicle are coming up behind us or when on coming. I don't ride a road alone at all.... I will ride trails that Iowa has spent millions of dollars on. Trails that people jog on also, walk dogs on, and even rollerbladers. I'm respectful, I always let people know I'm coming up.

I don't ride in the city... But if I did... The sidewalks along popular roads are about 6 ft wide. About the same size as a bike path which I have never had trouble on before.

And to be honest there have been times even in large groups it has been safer to pull off on a gravel road then trying to have some person pass you with traffic coming both ways.

Addict
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 31

Two things: (1) I've driven that section of road - it's a state highway, and to me not suitable for bike riders.
    (2) Wonder if the girl was wearing shades to safely drive in that direction at that time of day.. Or...maybe she was distracted by talking or texting or her phone?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by alaskaguy View Post
    So when you are traveling in a car and there is a semi-tractor on the same road do you pull over and allow the semi-tractor to pass and not resume traveling until the semi-tractor is out of sight?

When I'm traveling on a road... in my car... I keep up with the flow of traffic at either 55 mph or 70 mph. Usually I travel faster then a semi. So you comparison with me in a car and a semi is null and void in my opinion. I am able to keep with the flow, even though my vehicle weight is a fraction of theirs. Until a biker can ride 35mph on a street posted at that.. I think it is safer to be on a side walk.

Rookie
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Two things: (1) I've driven that section of road - it's a state highway, and to me not suitable for bike riders.
    (2) Wonder if the girl was wearing shades to safely drive in that direction at that time of day.. Or...maybe she was distracted by talking or texting or her phone?

1. I grew up in Marathon and used to ride my bike to Laurens for school on Highway 10 about 30 times a year.
    2. No she wasn't talking on the phone or texting.

Incredible teacher. The Bill Nye reference is dead on. He was an incredible person and teacher, and will be greatly missed.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post

Very good points... I'm originally from near that area and have been on that road several times. It is not suitable for a biker. Not anytime of the day. Hwy 3 isn't, Hwy 7 isn't, Hwy 20, or Hwy 30 either. Thinking of all the Hwy there on south.

Not sure about the girl wearing shades or texting. Interesting thought. But it goes back to your first idea. That road isn't safe, even if she wasn't texting and wearing sunglasses.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dukeebear View Post
    1. I grew up in Marathon and used to ride my bike to Laurens for school on Highway 10 about 30 times a year.
    2. No she wasn't talking on the phone or texting.

Incredible teacher. The Bill Nye reference is dead on. He was an incredible person and teacher, and will be greatly missed.

Thanks for clearing it up. I have heard from several that he was a great teacher. Extremely sad. Still don't think the road is safe. Heading west at night into the sunset.

Rookie
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 159
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thanks for clearing it up. I have heard from several that he was a great teacher. Extremely sad. Still don't think the road is safe. Heading west at night into the sunset.

Wouldn't be the best of times to be on the road, but there are bikers on that road all the time. I rode on it from Marathon to Laurens and Albert City, starting when I was 12.

I feel terrible to the girl. She is going to be devastated for years to come.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I ride on federal highways, state highways, county roads, in the country, in towns, on pavement, on gravel, and everywhere else (other than sidewalks )on a daily basis. I own several motor vehicles but do not drive the motor vehicles unless it is absolutely necessary to do so (for longer trips where there is a time constraint or during inclement weather).

It's not just the bicyclists that lose when there is an "accident" involving motor vehicles and bicycles....

A person was recently injured riding his bicycle in the area where I live when he collided with a motor vehicle. A jury determined that the motorist owed the bicyclist $1.63 million for non-economic damages, $359,000 for economic damages and $240,000 for impairment and $173,320 for compensatory damages.

Steamboat Today: Jury awards $2.4 million in bike-car crash near Steamboat