Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The Big 12 Report

I haven't seen this posted yet, but it is an interview with Coach Hoiberg from the Big 12 coaches meeting this spring.

If this has been posted previously please merge.

Iowa State's Fred Hoiberg Interview - Big12Sports.com

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Re: The Big 12 Report

Thanks for the link.

Freddy is a couple years younger than me, I was still at ISU when he started playing. Saw him around a bit, obviously saw all the press with him.

I always remember him being rather quiet, man of few words. Haven't seen him much since he left ISU. I am absolutely amazed at his public skills and how polished he is talking to media and in front of crowds. That will certainly translate well in recruiting.

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I wish i knew what type of defense he is going to put in. I'm sure he will be primarily man to man, but there is Mcd man to man defense and there is tim floyd man to man defense. I would like to see pressure d with the guards in the other guards shorts all over the court. We need to play defense like kansas guarded us, constantly forcing us 30 ft from the basket.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,025
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by nickwc View Post
    I wish i knew what type of defense he is going to put in. I'm sure he will be primarily man to man, but there is Mcd man to man defense and there is tim floyd man to man defense. I would like to see pressure d with the guards in the other guards shorts all over the court. We need to play defense like kansas guarded us, constantly forcing us 30 ft from the basket.
    I agree, but I don't think we can play that kind of defense until we have the athletes to do it at every position. I fully believe that Fred will get them here and develope them defensively to the point where we will be able to do that. Hilton is at its best when the crowd is in the game on both ends of the floor and that hard-nosed defense is a big part of that.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by nickwc View Post
    Man I loved watching Tim's teams play. We had good, not great talent. But those guys played hard.

Remember how Willoughby, Cato, Pratt, Bankhead - the Sweet 16 squad - would setup on D, get down into defensive posture, and everyone would slap the floor in unison?

All-Star
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 60
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

yes i loved the defensive intensity that Timmy would get his players to play. Also loved the random junk defenses he would throw out to confuse the hell out of the opposing team. I loved when he would just have someone face guard the opposing team's best player all game long, no matter where he was at on the court.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

The other thing about Tim was that he really never got out-coached. Only guy I've seen that would get his team back into a game by starting foul with 5, even 8 or 10 minutes left in the game.

Favorite memory was playing KU that Sweet 16 year (I think). Big run for ISU. Crowd was INSANE. KU calls timeout to stem the tide, and our guys are running to the bench. Tim walks out and just waves them off - leaving them on the floor.

Crowd went NUTS. Willoughby and Pratt on the floor whooping it up. A complete backfire of a timeout for KU.

Last edited by DaddyMac; 05-28-2010 at 11:04 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    The other thing about Tim was that he really never got out-coached. Only guy I've seen that would get his team back into a game by starting foul with 5, even 8 or 10 minutes left in the game.

Favorite memory was playing KU that Sweet 16 year (I think). Big run for ISU. Crowd was INSANE. KU calls timeout to stem the tide, and our guys are running to the bench. Tim walks out and just waves them off - leaving them on the floor.

Crowd went NUTS. Willoughby and Pratt on the floor whooping it up. A complete backfire of a timeout for KU.

You know, wouldn't that be a decent strategy from time to time? With all the TV timeouts these days, coaches are pretty good now in Hilton of burning a TO when Hilton starts to wake up. Leave the team out there, they can play to the crowd a bit, and just make it louder when the timeout is over. That'd be better than the kiss cam or the smile cam thing....