Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 7

Hockey Fans NHL to have 2 outdoor games next year

The NHL will announce on Friday that they will hold outdoor games in Pittsburgh and Calgary next season.

It is thought that Washington will take on the Penguins at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh on New Year's Day in the Winter Classic and the NHL will add an outdoor game in February when Calgary will entertain Montreal at McMahon Stadium.

I oder how long it will take the NHL before they get the Wild hosting this game

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 84

Re: Hockey Fans NHL to have 2 outdoor games next year

Quote Originally Posted by hurdleisu24 View Post
    The NHL will announce on Friday that they will hold outdoor games in Pittsburgh and Calgary next season.

It is thought that Washington will take on the Penguins at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh on New Year's Day in the Winter Classic and the NHL will add an outdoor game in February when Calgary will entertain Montreal at McMahon Stadium.

Thanks for the info. I think every northern NHL team that wants to host an outdoor game once a year should be able to. You mentioned the Wild - also what about the Blues, or Leafs, or Senators, or Islanders...
    It's not fair for the NHL to "ration" these games out.

st8

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Thanks for the info. I think every northern NHL team that wants to host an outdoor game once a year should be able to. You mentioned the Wild - also what about the Blues, or Leafs, or Senators, or Islanders...
    It's not fair for the NHL to "ration" these games out.
    what about the blues? how many days a year is the average temp below freezing in st louis? or are you somehow erecting in ice rink in the dome? the furthest south this baby is going is chicago. it would be a disaster for the NHL if a warm front ruined one of these games because they scheduled it in a city that's too far south. if you've ever played on soft ice (pond hockey or outdoor rinks) you'd understand how much the players would hate it and probably never be in support of these type of events after that.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 84

Quote Originally Posted by st8 View Post
    what about the blues? how many days a year is the average temp below freezing in st louis? or are you somehow erecting in ice rink in the dome? the furthest south this baby is going is chicago. it would be a disaster for the NHL if a warm front ruined one of these games because they scheduled it in a city that's too far south. if you've ever played on soft ice (pond hockey or outdoor rinks) you'd understand how much the players would hate it and probably never be in support of these type of events after that.
    Gee, I used to play hockey at the Steinberg Rink in Forest Park, (that's a famous OUTDOOR rink), all the time in St. Louis when visiting my cousins. It was always freezing too. Besides, all the NHL outdoor rinks have very sophisticated mechanical cooling equipment.
    Even if St. Louis wouldn't host one, they need to be one of the participating teams. Pittsburgh has already played in one - they shouldn't be in another until other teams have had a chance. Pass it around is my point. Maybe Blues at the Avs.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Tornado man View Post
    Gee, I used to play hockey at the Steinberg Rink in Forest Park, (that's a famous OUTDOOR rink), all the time in St. Louis when visiting my cousins. It was always freezing too. Besides, all the NHL outdoor rinks have very sophisticated mechanical cooling equipment.
    Even if St. Louis wouldn't host one, they need to be one of the participating teams. Pittsburgh has already played in one - they shouldn't be in another until other teams have had a chance. Pass it around is my point. Maybe Blues at the Avs.
    The NHL wants to market it's biggest stars, that's why the Pens will be playing the Capitals. It doesn't help that St. Louis hasn't been relavent since the late 1990s and that Colorado is just getting back to respectability.

Having a game in Canada makes sense, although that is probably more for their national audience than US viewers.

Pro
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by st8 View Post
    They've played outdoor exhibition games in Las Vegas, so temperature is hardly an issue.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    They've played outdoor exhibition games in Las Vegas, so temperature is hardly an issue.
    Where, Sam Boyd?

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelHawk View Post
    Where, Sam Boyd?
    Caesars Palace outdoor arena

1991-1992 N.H.L. SEASON - 1991-1992 N.H.L. SEASON - Gamble Works - Rangers Play In Las Vegas - NYTimes.com

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

Lost in Eastern Iowa
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 92

That was a lot of money in 1991. I wonder how much all of that would cost now.

Pro
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 64
    Given: 4

Quote Originally Posted by rworkman83 View Post
    That was a lot of money in 1991. I wonder how much all of that would cost now.
    I'm not sure, but I would assume that (1) portable refrigeration has improved and relative price has gone down (adjusting for inflation), and (2) additional revenue brought in by the spectacle would FAR exceed the expenses.

I feel the NHL needs to cap the Winter/Heritage Classic at two games per year: one that caters to the American NBC audience (which means it will always feature the large American markets or biggest stars) and one that caters to the Canadian market (teams not nearly as important, but should be hosted by a Canadian team). Any more than that and the event loses its novelty. And speaking of novelty, the NHL needs to continue to keep the event fresh -- such as different sports venues and inclusion of locations like Vegas.

TRUE AND VALIANT

Pro
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 1,061
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by hurdleisu24 View Post

Been to the new twins stadium. It is really nice and think that the Minnesota hockey fans would go NUTS for an outdoor hockey game to be played there. No matter how cold it was, fans would show up in droves.

I WAS THERE!!!!!!

Addict
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 1,705
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by EYEoftheSTORM View Post
    Been to the new twins stadium. It is really nice and think that the Minnesota hockey fans would go NUTS for an outdoor hockey game to be played there. No matter how cold it was, fans would show up in droves.
    Could also do it at TCF Bank Stadium.

Don't confuse hope for a plan.

st8

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpy View Post
    temperature certainly is an issue if you don't want to spend huge jack on ensuring good ice. too cold and it cracks, to warm and it's soft and slushy.

and tornado, these outdoor games are always on network TV (at least lately they have been). the NHL is going to make darn sure that it's their big name guys and teams with large followings in these game for the marketability. they want the most people as possible watching these things and ovechkin, crosby, teows/kane, and the red wings are the most marketable hockey names in the US. the NHL isn't mainstream really anymore, when they have the opportunity to put their product n front of a national audience, the want it to be the best and most popular guys. it isn't about fairness

Last edited by st8; 05-28-2010 at 07:28 AM.