Received: 527
    Given: 369

McD article in QC Times

It's a pretty good one...

LINK

ISU coach McDermott scores big with second recruiting class
    By Eric Page | Monday, May 07, 2007

(0) Comments | Rate this article | Default | Large

The second time around the recruiting circuit was much easier for Greg McDermott.

Easier, and exponentially more successful.

After replacing Wayne Morgan as Iowa State’s men’s basketball coach in March 2006, McDermott had less than a month to throw together his initial class of newcomers. The best he could do was a rag-tag bunch of juco transfers and unheralded freshmen who weren’t ready to compete in the Big 12 Conference.

As the Cyclones struggled to a 15-16 finish in McDermott’s first season, three things became abundantly clear: The team lacked strength, the team lacked scoring and the team lacked depth. With this year’s spring signing period behind him and his second recruiting class in the books, McDermott feels like he has addressed all three deficiencies.

“The one thing I learned the first time through the Big 12 was you have to have some size in the guard court if you want to be successful,” McDermott said Friday. “All of the guards we’ve signed have some height, and their bodies are ready to go.

“We’ve added to our front line, too. With Craig Brackins and Clayton Vette, we feel like we have two quality players that are ready to play in the Big 12.”

Rated a top-20 prospect by many recruiting services, Brackins, no doubt, is the headliner of group, which includes four prep school players and two out of high school.

A 6-foot-10, 220-pound forward, Brackins averaged 18 points and nine rebounds for Brewster (N.H.) Academy last season. He spurred the likes of Pittsburgh, Illinois, Indiana and Clemson to come to Iowa State.

“He’s different than anybody we have on our team,” McDermott said of Brackins. “He gives us somebody that can match the athletic frontline players that we’ll run into in our league.”

Vette, a 6-9, 240-pound forward and Iowa’s 2007 Mr. Basketball, fell into McDermott’s lap this spring after being released from his commitment to Indiana State. Vette knew McDermott from his days of attending the coach’s camps at Northern Iowa, and Vette’s high school coach, Tom Bardal, actually lived across the street from McDermott in Cedar Falls. So, the Cyclones were an easy sell.

Of course, had Ross Mardsen, a little used sophomore center, not quit the team just days before Vette became available, McDermott would not have had a scholarship to offer.

“We were really fortunate,” McDermott said. “To have somebody who is 6-foot-9 and 240 pounds in your state, who happens to be Mr. Basketball, all of a sudden become available. The stars aligned right for us on that one.”

Four guards — Diante Garrett (6-4, 170), Lucca Staiger (6-5, 215), Charles Boozer (6-3, 190) and Marcus Brister (6-3, 210) — round out the group of signees. McDermott expects all six freshmen to see the floor next season.

Garrett, Staiger and Boozer, the younger brother of former Duke All-American and current Utah Jazz forward Carlos, signed last fall. Brister, a bulky point guard, was a late addition this spring, but he is perhaps the most important.

Corey McIntosh started 29 games at the point last year but, at 160 pounds, often was overmatched and ineffective, which forced the Cyclones’ primary scoring threat — Mike Taylor — to handle the ball. McIntosh decided to transfer after the season, opening a scholarship for Brister, who averaged 13 points and six assists playing at a Dallas prep school last season.

“We had an obvious weakness from a depth standpoint in the guard court,” McDermott said. “We really feel like we’ve addressed that in a positive way.”

Eric Page can be contacted at (563) 383-2277 or epage@qctimes.com. Comment on this story at QCTimes.com - The Quad-City Times Newspaper.

Cyclones signees

Iowa State signed four players last fall and two more this spring, giving coach Greg McDermott a surprisingly strong incoming class for his second season in Ames:

Player Pos. Ht. Wt. Hometown

Craig Brackins F 6-10 220 Palmdale, Calif.

Diante Garrett G 6-4 170 Milwaukee

Lucca Staiger G 6-5 215 Baulstein, Germany

Charles Boozer G 6-3 190 Raleigh, N.C.

Marcus Brister G 6-3 210 Duncanville, Texas

Clayton Vette F 6-9 245 Waverly, Iowa

No decision on Taylor

Iowa State men’s basketball coach Greg McDermott on Friday said he’s yet to make a decision on the future of senior guard Mike Taylor.

Taylor, the Cyclones’ leading scorer last season, has been arrested twice this spring — once for vandalism of an apartment building and a second time for shoplifting cold medicine. Per ISU’s student-athlete code of conduct, Taylor is suspended until the legal system runs its course, but McDermott hasn’t decided if he’ll be allowed back on the team regardless of the outcome.

“He’s suspended indefinitely until I say otherwise,” McDermott said. “If we were to play a game tomorrow, he wouldn’t be playing.”

— Eric Page

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,120
    Given: 588

Re: McD article in QC Times

Very nice find. Thanks!

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 41

Are you sure this came from the Times??? Unless they were printing an article glorifying the courageous efforts of EIU after a EIU victory/ISU loss, I don't recall ISU ever getting that much press. This writer, Eric Page, must be new to the Quad Cities, ,he'll learn soon enough.

All seriousness now, thanks for the link/article. While Brackins is the star of this group, I really like the fact that all four guards are over 6'3" and except for Garrett, they all have some meat on their bones.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by C.John View Post
    Are you sure this came from the Times??? Unless they were printing an article glorifying the courageous efforts of EIU after a EIU victory/ISU loss, I don't recall ISU ever getting that much press. This writer, Eric Page, must be new to the Quad Cities, ,he'll learn soon enough.

All seriousness now, thanks for the link/article. While Brackins is the star of this group, I really like the fact that all four guards are over 6'3" and except for Garrett, they all have some meat on their bones.
    Seriously, in the last 5-10 years or so the QC Times has become maybe the second-most Cyclone-balanced paper in the state (behind the Rag, but that's not saying a lot). I mean, EIU always comes first, but say if we smash Texas later on this fall, it'll trump Iowa coverage. I'd say the coverage at the Times nowadays is 50% Iowa, 25% Illinois and 25% Iowa State (inclusive of "the big three" only - not pro, local, or local college sports). It's not EIU coverage, but they usually have nice things to say about us.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

cyclONEnation
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Seriously, in the last 5-10 years or so the QC Times has become maybe the second-most Cyclone-balanced paper in the state (behind the Rag, but that's not saying a lot). I mean, EIU always comes first, but say if we smash Texas later on this fall, it'll trump Iowa coverage. I'd say the coverage at the Times nowadays is 50% Iowa, 25% Illinois and 25% Iowa State (inclusive of "the big three" only - not pro, local, or local college sports). It's not EIU coverage, but they usually have nice things to say about us.
    That's good to hear. In the 80's and early 90's the coverage stunk. The Times was better than the local Clinton Herald, but still not that great. I still read the web version on occasion, but it seems they usually focus on Iowa...I haven't read the printed version on any kind of basis since '91, so I actually have no clue. I was just spouting off like any good fake profile does on the internet.

Thanks for the link.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, the web version is more Iowa-centric (even though ISU has its own link on the site), but on the print copy EIU has to share with us.