Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 337
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Anyone more excited about Charles Boozer?

I know the NBA is lame, but I did catch the Jazz-Rockets Game 7 the other night. What struck me is how dominant Carlos Boozer is. His line was 35 points, 14 rebounds, and 5 assists. He dominated the game. He hit jumpers, dunks, and free throws. He looked like the best player on the court, and that included T-Mac and Yao.

I know Charles is younger, and plays a different position. But if he has the same work ethic as his brother, we landed a gem. Besides, what a great teacher! If he has questions about the post, or rebounding position, he has an NBA all-star to give him advice. Charles has some serious basketball skills in the family tree, and he is one recruit I am anxious to see play. Thoughts?

Addict
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 454
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 220
    Given: 163

Re: Anyone more excited about Charles Boozer?

I've thought all that since day 1 when I heard he signed! The amazing thing is no one has really been saying much about him or getting all that excited about him - everyone has a real "They got Peyton, we got Eli" mentality about him, which I think is dumb. there isn't any reason he can't be as good or even better than his brother. It's all up to how hard he wants to work to become better.

ISU license plates, just $50 at: http://www.iamvd.com/ovs/plates/index.htm
    "I am so proud to be your football coach!" - Paul Rhoads

HOI-BALL!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 679
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

I'm excited to get Boozer in here. As a Jazz fan, I'm looking forward to perhaps spotting Carlos at one of his brothers games at hilton, but I'm also looking forward to seeing what Charles can do. He's definitely got some good genes.

Also, something kind of neat, after game 7 on Saturday, they were interviewing Carlos and he gave a shout out to Charles.

Starter Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isucyclone4 View Post
    I've thought all that since day 1 when I heard he signed! The amazing thing is no one has really been saying much about him or getting all that excited about him - everyone has a real "They got Peyton, we got Eli" mentality about him, which I think is dumb. there isn't any reason he can't be as good or even better than his brother. It's all up to how hard he wants to work to become better.
    You've inspired me to become better than Kevin Durant. I will work as hard as I can to gain oodles more God-given talent and grow 9 inches.

You think the "They got Peyton, we got Eli" mentality is dumb? Try replacing the word "dumb" with "realistic". I happen to think your statement is dumb. Sure, we're all Cyclone fans, but I'm not gonna pull the wool over my eyes and succomb to such blatant homer-ism like what I just read. In your world, anybody can be as good as anybody...which isn't realistic. You're discounting a couple things: size and talent.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 407
    Given: 370

Carlos going off in the NBA has no bearing on my excitement for Charles. I'm excited to see Charles because he's an incoming freshman and I always get excited about that. Beyond that, I don't care who his brother is and don't think it matters much. It can't hurt I suppose.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,083
    Given: 575

I think to ignore his relationship to his brother ignores basic psychology. Here's why:

#1. Expectations. After seeing his brother succeed at a really high level, he is going to expect something similar of himself, and also is going to believe that it is possible.

#2. He has had, and will have the opportunity to play against some outstanding players because of his relationship with his brother. Better competition will help him improve.

#3. He is going to want to step out of his brother's shadow, and become someone other than Carlos Boozer's little brother.

All of these things may be more important than the genetics. If nothing else, they will make him work extremely hard and expect more from himself, which will help him to maximize his potential. I don't expect him to be the next Carlos Boozer, but with good genetics, a great coach, good work ethics and an inner drive, he should be a contributor to Iowa State before he is through.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 475
    Given: 325

I think if he's half as good as his brother is, he'll be a great addition to the Cyclones and a star we'll always remember after he leaves.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 418
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 9

Quote Originally Posted by isucyclone4 View Post
    I've got him pegged more as Cooper Manning, the brother who was all-state at WR in HS but didn't have much of a college career. Disclaimer: I'm not insensitive and know that Cooper had some type of medical condition that led him to quit football. Anyway, Charles doesn't have the same physical attributes as Carlos (did) and it's ridiculous to expect him to be a fascimile of the player.

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

This thread reminds me of the time Fred Hoiberg's brother was selected to shoot 5-for-5 at halftime.

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 711
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20

His numbers from prep school are OK, but don't really jump off the page. 12.5 points, 2.2 assists, 32% 3-point shooting.
    With 4 freshman guards next year it doesn't seem that McD could get all of them into the playing rotation and will probably redshirt one. Guess that it might be Boozer, but possibly one of the others.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,013
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 34
    Given: 40

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonekj View Post
    This thread reminds me of the time Fred Hoiberg's brother was selected to shoot 5-for-5 at halftime.
    I went to high school with Steve (Fred's brother). At our 10 year reunion we were all supposed to write down the most famous person we had met since high school. Steve won. He wrote "My little brother!"

"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures”." ~Robin Williams

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

#3. He is going to want to step out of his brother's shadow, and become someone other than Carlos Boozer's little brother.

I posted this a few months ago, but will post this again... I had the chance to ask Gary Thompson what he thought of the incoming recruits and he commented that we "should really watch the Boozer kid". The Rocket explained that Charles has a real chip on his shoulder and is out to prove that he is more than "the little brother". Mr. Thompson said that the younger Boozer has been working hard on his shot and that he has the physical size to be an outstanding Big Twelve guard, but we may have to wait a year or two before seeing his full development.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91

The coach at Brewster academy said Carlos was one of the top 2 or 3 guards they faced all year and they play a tough schedule.

Addict
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 7

If you can't get excited for Jeffrey Jordan whose dad was probably the best player to play the game then how can you get too excited about Charles Boozer? He and Carlos don't even play the same positions!

Facebook Knows All
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 198
    Given: 80

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lastuvka View Post
    You think the "They got Peyton, we got Eli" mentality is dumb? Try replacing the word "dumb" with "realistic". I happen to think your statement is dumb. Sure, we're all Cyclone fans, but I'm not gonna pull the wool over my eyes and succomb to such blatant homer-ism like what I just read. In your world, anybody can be as good as anybody...which isn't realistic. You're discounting a couple things: size and talent.
    Have you seen Charles play? My guess is no. Eli was pretty freaking good at Ole Miss as was Peyton in college. So I don't think "realistic is quite the word". Eli is good enough to be a starting QB in the NFL. If Charles can be a starter in the NBA but not as "good" as his brother, I'd take that anyday.

Also, I'd take Gary Thompson's perspective over yours unless you have more information than him.