Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 46
    Given: 30

so, what is in the near future for ISU FB?

I know that there is some talent on the O and a few good defenders, but with the massive losses on the OL and DL it looks to me like a long season again this year. Even with new coaches and weight training does anyone expect to see much, if any improvement?

Is there someone that is in Ames that has any insight at all about how the team is developing under the new coaches?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 950
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 21

Re: so, what is in the near future for ISU FB?

i honestly think we should be improved by alot.. we had the talent last year and do again this year, but last year we did not use it to our advantage.. also this year i see us taking more risks and not laying down at all
    overal i am hoping for 6 wins, any more i will be frosting on the cake

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 246

ALOT and I mean ALOT will come down to the newcomers. There are a lot of Dline newcomers that we need to step in early (Weir and Black) We also need the O lineman that we signed out of HS to come in and really progress quickly. They will be needed shortly.

This could be a frustrating year record wise but I really feel great about the future. Iowa, Texas, OU, @TT, @Neb will all be extremely tough games. @Toledo, @Mizzou, @KU will be tough to a much lesser degree. Winable games against UNI, Kent, CU, and KSU should make the season fun as all those game are at home.

Sneak out 2 tougher wins and you COULD easily have a bowl team. 6-6 would be great, but there are MAJOR weaknesses on the two lines.

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Baby steps.....
    I don't think judging this team on how we start will be an effective way of measuring not only talent, but coaching as well. When we see where we end the season, that will be the true measuring stick..

Recruit
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 296
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

My prediction.....PAIN.

"Wrecked 'em? Damn near killed 'em!!" - Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (1756-1791)

Pro
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 45
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 51
    Given: 1

We still have some talent in the skilled positions but we lack depth and experience in the trenches on both sides of the ball which usually spells doom. Add in the players learning a new system and a tough schedule it could make for another long year, but if they can manage 6 wins I would be extatic.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 988
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post

This could be a frustrating year record wise but I really feel great about the future. Iowa, Texas, OU, @TT, @Neb will all be extremely tough games. @Toledo, @Mizzou, @KU will be tough to a much lesser degree. Winable games against UNI, Kent, CU, and KSU should make the season fun as all those game are at home.
    I'll agree with that assessment if you switch Iowa with Mizzou. I'd give us a much better chance with Iowa at home, than I would with Mizzou on the road.

Addict
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 612
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

They say games are won in the trenches (this proved true last season) and based on our lines I'm still standing by my 4 to 5 wins prediction. You can have all the talent you can imagine behind those lines but bottom line is if there is no protection for the QB and no holes for the RB you aren't going to move the ball well. And a defensive line that can't stop the run or give a decent pass rush is going to put a lot of pressure on the linebackers and defensive backs to make a lot of big plays to make up for that.

Like someone said, baby steps. With a program like ISU you can't turn a mess into a powerhouse overnight. I've said it before, you can polish a turd all you want but at the end of the day it's still a turd. I want to see this team win and win sooner rather than later but it's unrealistic to think we are going to see a huge improvement right away with all the questions we still have, especially on the lines which is a big part of having success on the field.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 548
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I'm hoping to see a very different defensive approach. I want to see some specialty down and distance packages; however, I most want to see good game time adjustments.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    ALOT and I mean ALOT will come down to the newcomers. There are a lot of Dline newcomers that we need to step in early (Weir and Black) We also need the O lineman that we signed out of HS to come in and really progress quickly. They will be needed shortly.

Sneak out 2 tougher wins and you COULD easily have a bowl team. 6-6 would be great, but there are MAJOR weaknesses on the two lines.
    I agree. If the JUCOs come in and live up to expectations, we're looking at a bowl team. If not, then 3-4 wins is the max. Bass and Franklin have the chance to make the Offense more explosive. The key on Defense is getting a pass rush and a decent interior rotation that is able to stop the run. I think between Lyle, Wier, Tate, Kellman and Black, that is possible. If Bibbs and Bell are able to start, the D is starting to actually look tough.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 684
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 112

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    I know that there is some talent on the O and a few good defenders, but with the massive losses on the OL and DL it looks to me like a long season again this year. Even with new coaches and weight training does anyone expect to see much, if any improvement?

Is there someone that is in Ames that has any insight at all about how the team is developing under the new coaches?
    "LONG SEASON YOU SAY". Looks to me like a very LONG SEASON with very few wins and just a setup season for '08!!!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 257

May be the season to go for offensive records.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Rookie
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 335
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4

Quote Originally Posted by CyBobby View Post
    "LONG SEASON YOU SAY". Looks to me like a very LONG SEASON with very few wins and just a setup season for '08!!!
    This is my list of things that cannot go anywhere but up.

1. Tackling- it has to be better. ISU last year was the worst tackling team I have ever seen for the level of play. Is Berg still playing? That cat missed more tackles than I can count last year. He must be a practice hero because if I watched any tape of last year, he would start at water boy.

2. Screen passes- I don't like a lot of screens, but I could coach one better than the ISU staff of last year.

3. Speed at running back-Hicks was one of the slowest running backs to play the position and made the offensive line look much worse than they were. See kock running ball.

4. Ego problems-heard blythe suddenly isn't strutting around the practice field anymore. The new staff doesn't appear to baby him like the old staff.

5. Conservative scheme- too many examples to mention. ISU can't be more conservative which is a good thing in my book.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 257

I figure we can win all our non conference games and one more Big 12 game if we give our best effort.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Walk On
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 344
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore_23 View Post
    i honestly think we should be improved by alot.. we had the talent last year and do again this year, but last year we did not use it to our advantage.. also this year i see us taking more risks and not laying down at all
    overal i am hoping for 6 wins, any more i will be frosting on the cake
    I'm not sure I can see us getting 6 wins, but I DEFINITELY agree about us not playing to our advantages.

Every game last year I kept thinking "why doesn't he just say screw the RB and go with the fullback, he's our best runner"

IMHO we could EASILY have won 2 to 3 more games if we had just used "K" as our feature back. I mean, if we were going to try to run it up the gut, why not use the man that could (and did around the goal-line) carry the mail.

It was pretty obvious around the goal-line who was going to get the ball, and how many times didn't he deliver.

m.