Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 56
    Given: 47

Question for Green Egg Grill owners

I was set on getting a large Green Egg yesterday until I talked to one of the owners of a grilling store down here in KC. He recommended that I purchase the Kamado Joe over the Green Egg. Have any of you guys seen this grill? www.kamadojoe.com He said its better built and has a better warranty. I can also get it for $799 including the iron cart with locking casters, bamboo shelves and a grill cover. I figure I would have quite a bit more into a Green Egg with those accessories. Does anyone have any experience with the Kamado Joe? Thanks

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 2

Re: Question for Green Egg Grill owners

Quote Originally Posted by cyflier View Post
    I was set on getting a large Green Egg yesterday until I talked to one of the owners of a grilling store down here in KC. He recommended that I purchase the Kamado Joe over the Green Egg. Have any of you guys seen this grill? www.kamadojoe.com He said its better built and has a better warranty. I can also get it for $799 including the iron cart with locking casters, bamboo shelves and a grill cover. I figure I would have quite a bit more into a Green Egg with those accessories. Does anyone have any experience with the Kamado Joe? Thanks

My niece has 2 of the Green Eggs. I'll see what her thoughts are and let you know. I can tell you that there is a cult following with the Green Eggs.

Very efficient design and does BBQ good!

Z

The grass always looks greener, on the other side of the fence, but the dog over there might be meaner, on the other side of the fence… Stay in your own yard, play in your own yard!

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

I was also going to get a green egg and have been talked into getting a traeger

Starter
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Is the going rate only $700-$900 now to feel smug and privileged about your grilling purchase? Wow, not bad....

Lifetime Achievement- In on page 1 of a THujone MS Paint thread.

Rookie
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by linkshero View Post
    Is the going rate only $700-$900 now to feel smug and privileged about your grilling purchase? Wow, not bad....
    No, but these grills are supposed to last a lifetime. For someone who grills several times a week, I have quickly found out you get what you pay for when it comes to grills. Notice that my thread was directed toward Green Egg Grill owners. Go rain on someone elses thread.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 352
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

ha, i grill all the time as well. ive never heard of the "green egg" do they give u a liftime warranty? ill have to do some google work.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,168
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 30

Are green eggs good smokers?

Hooray for Metaphors!

Rookie
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 426
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by tman24 View Post
    Are green eggs good smokers?
    They are supposed to be great for smoking/grilling/baking.

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 20

Quote Originally Posted by kcclones View Post
    I was also going to get a green egg and have been talked into getting a traeger
    Not to hijack the thread, but I am looking at a Traeger as well. I've heard that they've had problems (bubbling/flaking powder coat and thinner gauged steal) since they moved production to China. Anybody have any experience with post-2008 Traegers?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,175
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 291
    Given: 621

Quote Originally Posted by cyflier View Post
    I don't own a Big Green Egg but have heard great things about them from people who do. One concern I have is the weight and the fact that if for some reason it gets tipped over it can crack. You shouldn't have that problem with the Kamadojoe or the Big Steel Keg which is also a steel version of the Big Green Egg.

They say country music speaks to the heart. Unfortunately, it has to go through your ears to get there.

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I have had a Big Green Egg for 3 years. It's unquestionably my favorite toy, and has proved to be worth every cent that was paid for it. I use it 2-3 times a week for everything from coal fired pizzas to pulled pork.

The BGE is the original, and with it's success there have been several newcomers to the market. There's the Kamado Kamodo (which are outrageously expensive), the Primo and the Kamodo Joe. The Traeger is a great grill but it is not a ceramic kamado style grill. If you're just looking to barbecue and grill, keep it in your options. If you are looking to do tandoor cooking, bake pizzas or 900 degree sears then I would definitely go with a kamado style cooker.

I don't have a lot of information on anything other than the Big Green Egg. I do know that Primos are made in the USA (BGEs are made in Mexico under contract from a ceramics outfit) After I got mine in 2007, I've been grinning ear to ear and haven't had any interest in anything else. It's got a lifetime warranty on everything except the felt gasket. I've had to replace it ($4) but it is normal for it to burn from frequent high-temp usage.

BEHOLD, MY BBQ:

If you spend a little extra money on the BGE, you're never going to miss it. Trust me, this thing has paid for itself many times over.

Last edited by Broodwich; 05-26-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 303
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's hoping you don't mind an opinion from a hawk fan...

I've had a Big Green Egg for several years now and can't imagine not having it. Since I'm not familiar with Kamadojoe, I won't say it's better or worse the the egg. Actually, this is the first time I've heard the name...

The BGE is very good at low temp cooking/smoking. I'm going to be doing an overnight cook on a brisket this weekend. It holds temperature very good and I've had it going for about 20 hours straight on a single load of charcoal.

It's also really good at the in-between roasting temperatures as well as high temp cooks. Best steaks and pizza that I've ever made since getting this thing.

You might try eggheadforum.com and those those could give you some good pointers.

Pro
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 483
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24
    Given: 20

What's the smoking mechanism in the BGE? Do you have to put a smoker box inside and periodically add wood? If so, do you have to take the food out to get to the wood box? I am really looking for a smoker so I have never considered the BGE.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 1,168
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by Broodwich View Post
    I have had a Big Green Egg for 3 years. It's unquestionably my favorite toy, and has proved to be worth every cent that was paid for it. I use it 2-3 times a week for everything from coal fired pizzas to pulled pork.

The BGE is the original, and with it's success there have been several newcomers to the market. There's the Kamado Kamodo (which are outrageously expensive), the Primo and the Kamodo Joe. The Traeger is a great grill but it is not a ceramic kamado style grill. If you're just looking to barbecue and grill, keep it in your options. If you are looking to do tandoor cooking, bake pizzas or 900 degree sears then I would definitely go with a kamado style cooker.

I don't have a lot of information on anything other than the Big Green Egg. I do know that Primos are made in the USA (BGEs are made in Mexico under contract from a ceramics outfit) After I got mine in 2007, I've been grinning ear to ear and haven't had any interest in anything else. It's got a lifetime warranty on everything except the felt gasket. I've had to replace it ($4) but it is normal for it to burn from frequent high-temp usage.

BEHOLD, MY BBQ:

If you spend a little extra money on the BGE, you're never going to miss it. Trust me, this thing has paid for itself many times over.
    now i am hungry for some bbq thank you

Hooray for Metaphors!

Pro
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 115
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by sunset View Post
    What's the smoking mechanism in the BGE? Do you have to put a smoker box inside and periodically add wood? If so, do you have to take the food out to get to the wood box? I am really looking for a smoker so I have never considered the BGE.
    I soak chips for about 30 minutes and add directly to the coals, or have built a pouch of chips out of foil. There is no smoker box. You really don't need smoke chips beyond the initial few hours.