Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

Paul Shirley's book (sneak peak)

Paul posted his first 12 pages on his myspace the other day..

i personally can not wait for this book to come out..and i hate reading.. but i really like the start of his book..

Myspace.com

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 258
    Given: 35

Re: Paul Shirley's book (sneak peak)

ugh, you have to be a myspace member to read it? I will not sign up for that plague on society site if it were the last site on the intraweb.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

i prob could put it in a blog on this site.. i will send paul a message and ask him if that would be ok

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

well, Paul doesnt want me to post it on here.. but if u have a myspace feel free to read it.. sorry guys..cant go against Paul

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

what is the date of the official book's release?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

may 15th

Addict
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore_23 View Post
    well, Paul doesnt want me to post it on here.. but if u have a myspace feel free to read it.. sorry guys..cant go against Paul
    He doesn't want more free advertising for his newly released book? Good thing he plays basketball and not in the business world.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    He doesn't want more free advertising for his newly released book? Good thing he plays basketball and not in the business world.
    not really.. this is what was said...

Me: I was wondering if i could post ur first 12 pages on cyclonefanatic.com?
    i know alot of the people on the site would be interested in reading it.. and i know alot are going to buy your book..
    if not i understand..
    but alot dont have myspaces and refuse to get one..
    thanks
    chris

Paul: No, please don't. That gets a little far-flung. But thanks for asking.

Paul

What i get out of it is he doesnt want to much publicity for the 12pages.. not that he doesnt want it for the book...

Rookie Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I've had this thing on pre-order for about 3 weeks and they told me I'd have it 2 weeks ago on Tuesday.

Now I find out it's not out until the 15th?

What the hell?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

the release date got pushed back...

here is the editorial review thingy

Book Description
    “I had forgotten one distasteful thing about the NBA. I realize that I am hardly in a position to complain. The thing I forgot, though, turns out to be kind of important–I hate most professional basketball players.”
    –Paul Shirley

He’s been called a journeyman. Even Paul wouldn’t dispute that classification. Regardless, Bill Simmons, ESPN.com’s “The Sports Guy,” has said of Paul Shirley, “We could finally have an answer to the question ‘What would it be like if one of our friends was an NBA player?”

There’s no denying that Paul Shirley is the closest thing pro basketball’s got to Odysseus. In Homeric fashion, he has logged time practically everywhere in the roundball universe, from six NBA cities to pro leagues in Spain and Greece to North America’s pro ball Siberia, the minor leagues. Hell, he’s even played in the real Siberia. And in Can I Keep My Jersey?, Shirley finally puts down roots long enough to deliver one of the great locker-room chronicles of the modern age.

With sharp elbows and an even sharper wit, Shirley–whose writings have been described as “wildly entertaining” by The Wall Street Journal–drops hilarious commentary, revealing which teams have the best cheerleaders (he’s spent many a time-out watching them ply their trade), why ****** is rapidly becoming every team’s “sixth man,” and even the best ways to get bloodstains out of your game uniform, using only an ordinary bar of soap and a hotel bathroom sink.

From sharing the court with Kobe and Shaq to perusing the food court at some mall in a bush-league burg; from taking pregame layups to getting laid out by a stray knee from an NBA power forward; from hopping a limo to the team’s charter jet to dashing to catch the van home from a B-league game in Tijuana, Shirley dishes on what it’s like to try to make it as a professional athlete. Can I Keep My Jersey? is a rollicking, thoughtful, even thought-provoking insider’s look at a pro baller’s life on the fringe. Like Jim Bouton’s Ball Four or John Feinstein’s A Season on the Brink, Shirley’s odyssey deserves to find a home on every sports fan’s bookshelf.