Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 11

Deadliest Catch 5/25

Fairly solid episode but nothing too earth shaking. My question is, how much money has Phil sunk into the CM in the last 3-4 seasons? I think he's had 2 or 3 blown engines at $50-60,000 each. He had the bent propellor a couple seasons ago that I want to say was $25-40,000 to replace. He dropped $50,000 last night. I've got to think he's up over a quarter of a mil in a fairly recent timeframe. I realize you're going to have some maintainence, but that boat just seems cursed.....that or he needs a better mechanic.

Also, for as much as they've built up the thing with Edgar saying that crabbing isn't the most important thing in his life, you have to wonder if a herniated disc in his neck might be the thing that finally pushes him off the boat. I've got a bad back and my office job sucks sometimes because of it. I can't even IMAGINE trying to do what he does with a neck problem. You know Sig just doesn't have it in him to go easy on anybody, even his brother, despite what he might say to the contrary.

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 86

Re: Deadliest Catch 5/25

Working with all the ice that gets on the crab pots would not be any fun. Hanging off the edge of the stack like Jake was would be a little hairy.

Go Cyclones!!

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I've been thinking the same about the CM. Every season something seems to break. Of course, running into a reef isn't exactly your typical mechanical failure

Between the stress of his kids, the regular stress of the job, and the endless $$$ he has to sink that boat, it's no wonder.......

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Phil is dead, so the boat expenses are really no longer his problem.

It's a tough job, obviously. I can take being told 100 times a show how tough it is. But when they start trying to make it seem that you have to be SMART, I'm out. Memorizing a few safety rules to keep from getting squished does not equal smarts. Being able to hang a bag of fish guts one second faster than another guy does not make you smart.

Pro
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,655
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    I've been thinking the same about the CM. Every season something seems to break. Of course, running into a reef isn't exactly your typical mechanical failure

Between the stress of his kids, the regular stress of the job, and the endless $$$ he has to sink that boat, it's no wonder.......

The four packs of cigarettes and 19 Red Bulls a day didn't help.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 103
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Absolutely love this show. It will be interesting to see if the camera crew was there and how they close the season with Phil. Read he was off loading some crab and died on the dock. Sad, he was one of my favorites on the show, with those 2 boys. Crabbers are nuts.

Iowa State Cyclones

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 19Cy78 View Post
    Absolutely love this show. It will be interesting to see if the camera crew was there and how they close the season with Phil. Read he was off loading some crab and died on the dock. Sad, he was one of my favorites on the show, with those 2 boys. Crabbers are nuts.
    Agree. Phil was one of the likeable guys who didn't seem to be putting on the act for the cameras.

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 816
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 9

I thought they made Sig sound REALLY philosophical last night. haha. Maybe he really was being deep and contemplative, but I dunno. haha. Also finding that I'm liking the Hillstrand brothers less this season, but last night wasn't bad.

I really think they should put a camera on a gyroscope for a season. They have mounted deck cams, but since those are fixed to the boat, you never really get the feeling of the pitching and turning of the boat, especially when they're pulling in the trough. I think that'd be cool to see. Maybe have to warn the viewing audience to have their garbage cans nearby though....

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 710
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I am always shocked at how little they actually make in relation to how much money the boat makes. Last week when they showed how much money each boat made, they said one boat made 1.8 or 1.9 million. And then it said each crew member took home like 30k or something. I know there are money for other things as well, but good grief it seems low for the amount of money they haul in.

You can't polish a turd.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 347
    Given: 62

Quote Originally Posted by htownclone View Post
    I am always shocked at how little they actually make in relation to how much money the boat makes. Last week when they showed how much money each boat made, they said one boat made 1.8 or 1.9 million. And then it said each crew member took home like 30k or something. I know there are money for other things as well, but good grief it seems low for the amount of money they haul in.
    I can't even imagine how much gas those boats use or the amount those guys owe for loans on the boats themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that most of those boats are making a nice profit. I'm guessing the way the salaries are done is that there is a certain profit the owner wants and the rest of the profits are split among the crew.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    I can't even imagine how much gas those boats use or the amount those guys owe for loans on the boats themselves.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure that most of those boats are making a nice profit. I'm guessing the way the salaries are done is that there is a certain profit the owner wants and the rest of the profits are split among the crew.
    Gas, bait, food for the crew.... I'm sure most of the boats undergo tons of maintenance between seasons.

And given the world's deadliest profession.... insurance has to be insane.

Ever notice though, that the Northwestern generally seems to finish in the middle/upper of the pack in total catch, but always is the leader in crew payout.

Conversely, the Wizard is almost always pulls the most, and has a lower payout.

In fact, didn't they have about the lowest last season (only ahead of the new guys). And they went in first (sappy scene with Keith calling Jonathan). So their expenses had to be a bit lower, at least releative to the fleet. But their payout was lower?

And the season started with Keith supposedly trying to poach a Time Bandit crew member(s) promising higher pay?

Pro
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 411
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 86

I would think the payout would depend on how many hands work on the deck. The Northwestern has a smaller crew and therefore the payout is bigger.

Go Cyclones!!

Pro
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 816
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 9

Also, they buy quotas from other people who own them...like leasing your farmland. So that surely goes into it.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 347
    Given: 62

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    Gas, bait, food for the crew.... I'm sure most of the boats undergo tons of maintenance between seasons.

And given the world's deadliest profession.... insurance has to be insane.

Ever notice though, that the Northwestern generally seems to finish in the middle/upper of the pack in total catch, but always is the leader in crew payout.

Conversely, the Wizard is almost always pulls the most, and has a lower payout.

In fact, didn't they have about the lowest last season (only ahead of the new guys). And they went in first (sappy scene with Keith calling Jonathan). So their expenses had to be a bit lower, at least releative to the fleet. But their payout was lower?

And the season started with Keith supposedly trying to poach a Time Bandit crew member(s) promising higher pay?
    I noticed that. Either they didn't have as many crab to catch as usual or they had more crew than usual.

I also noticed the Time Bandit payed out quite a bit more than normal.

Legend Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    Inoticed that. Either they didn't have as many crab to catch as usual or they had more crew than usual.

I also noticed the Time Bandit payed out quite a bit more than normal.
    Which seems hard to believe since, as has been discussed, the never ending turnover "no-share" greenhorn is always on crew. Like they have a near free-worker each trip.

I had to laugh when the rest of the crew was talking about how "they're going to get a reputation for being hard on greenhorns".