Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Canadian traffic signs

Saw two signs in canada involving speeding... one posts that if you are over 20kmh its 95 dollars adn so on, another starts if over 50kmh you can and may lose your car. Wonder how that would go over here. I will get some pictures of it to post. If anyone cares to see them

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 636
    Given: 1,250

Re: Canadian traffic signs

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post
    Saw two signs in canada involving speeding... one posts that if you are over 20kmh its 95 dollars adn so on, another starts if over 50kmh you can and may lose your car. Wonder how that would go over here. I will get some pictures of it to post. If anyone cares to see them
    I have never done any significant driving in Canada, but I have heard that they take it very seriously. It is not a slap on the wrist like in the states.

"There are five real good recruits in the state. We got three of them. One couldn’t get into school, and the other went to (the University of) Iowa...which is about the same thing." - Coach Johnny Orr

All-Star
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

i'm not quite sure of the stipulations, but i know that if you have been convicted of an owi in the states you can't even get into canada.

All-Star
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by Dave19642006 View Post

I have been in Canada quite a bit lately on business and I see the same signs.

They also have laws that prohibit the use of cell phones on the HWY unless using a Hands Free device. It doesnt affect me much since my company doesnt allow the use of cell phones at all while driving (even hands free) but I think it is a good idea.

90% of the time if you see someone driving wrecklessly on the road they are either talking or texting. I can see talking but texting while driving is just dumb especially on the interstate in "heavy" traffic.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 546
    Given: 377

Quote Originally Posted by nickwc View Post
    i'm not quite sure of the stipulations, but i know that if you have been convicted of an owi in the states you can't even get into canada.
    Pretty sure you mean they're not personally allowed to drive into or around Canada and not denied entrance into Canada if someone else is transporting them. I'm pretty sure Americans with much worse offenses than OWIs are able to find their way across the borders legally...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CykoAGR View Post
    I have been in Canada quite a bit lately on business and I see the same signs.

They also have laws that prohibit the use of cell phones on the HWY unless using a Hands Free device. It doesnt affect me much since my company doesnt allow the use of cell phones at all while driving (even hands free) but I think it is a good idea.

90% of the time if you see someone driving wrecklessly on the road they are either talking or texting. I can see talking but texting while driving is just dumb especially on the interstate in "heavy" traffic.
    Kinda off topic, but if I do move to Detroit next year, I'm looking forward to getting the "enhanced" Michigan license that allows me to cross the border without my passport on me (yeah, I know I have to own a passport to get one of those - not a problem).

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 361
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 54
    Given: 17

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Pretty sure you mean they're not personally allowed to drive into or around Canada and not denied entrance into Canada if someone else is transporting them. I'm pretty sure Americans with much worse offenses than OWIs are able to find their way across the borders legally...
    A DUI indeed makes you criminally inadmissible in Canada, whether you are driving in or not. In fact, any offense, committed anywhere in the world makes you criminally inadmissible to Canada if the equivalent offense in Canada falls under the Canadian Criminal Code. A DUI indeed falls under the Canadian Criminal Code. In order to legally Canada after a DUI, you must apply for rehabilitation. Of course, several people with DUI's in the US are able to enter Canada because not everyone discloses the DUI, and and only some randomly chosen people are screened in much detail by the Canadian Immigration.

Addict Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Kinda off topic, but if I do move to Detroit next year, I'm looking forward to getting the "enhanced" Michigan license that allows me to cross the border without my passport on me (yeah, I know I have to own a passport to get one of those - not a problem).
    I would go for the Nexus card. They will still stop you and will periodically search the car but not as much as someone who uses a "enhanced" or a passport.

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 137
    Given: 28

Damn Canadiens. Sunshine you can chime in here or azn on your homeland.

Pro
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 900
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

please no jdogg. I thought you were smarter than that.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CYCRAZY View Post
    Damn Canadiens. Sunshine you can chime in here or azn on your homeland.
    was that even English?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 303

Sounds like Paradise. No bad driving tolerated or you get the boot.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by azn4cy View Post
    please no jdogg. I thought you were smarter than that.
    Not much of a choice - I'm a government employee that hasn't developed relevant skills useful out on the open market, and even if those skills are wanted no one on the open market is going to pay me $75,000/yr ($80,000+ when Detroit locality pay is factored in) for said skills, and my job is transferring to Detroit sometime early-mid next year. If I were still single I might be a little bit more picky, but when married with a child (and the wife is wanting more), you tend to be less picky about where you live when you're being paid that much money. That and I took a visit to Detroit last week - as long as you stay north of 12 Mile (or stay in Grosse Pointe) it's not the hell hole that it's made out to be.

Considering this, why do you think I'm wanting ISU to join the Big 10 so badly...

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Not much of a choice - I'm a government employee that hasn't developed relevant skills useful out on the open market, and even if those skills are wanted no one on the open market is going to pay me $75,000/yr ($80,000+ when Detroit locality pay is factored in) for said skills, and my job is transferring to Detroit sometime early-mid next year. If I were still single I might be a little bit more picky, but when married with a child (and the wife is wanting more), you tend to be less picky about where you live when you're being paid that much money. That and I took a visit to Detroit last week - as long as you stay north of 12 Mile (or stay in Grosse Pointe) it's not the hell hole that it's made out to be.

Considering this, why do you think I'm wanting ISU to join the Big 10 so badly...
    I suppose that's fair. 75K in Detroit = about a half million anywhere else. Is 5 years salary almost enough to buy the Silverdome?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 576
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 12

Quote Originally Posted by gogagig View Post
    A DUI indeed makes you criminally inadmissible in Canada, whether you are driving in or not. In fact, any offense, committed anywhere in the world makes you criminally inadmissible to Canada if the equivalent offense in Canada falls under the Canadian Criminal Code. A DUI indeed falls under the Canadian Criminal Code. In order to legally Canada after a DUI, you must apply for rehabilitation. Of course, several people with DUI's in the US are able to enter Canada because not everyone discloses the DUI, and and only some randomly chosen people are screened in much detail by the Canadian Immigration.
    If enforced, that would make for some pretty short benches when NBA teams visit the Raptors.