Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 616
    Given: 168

Williams Blog: The honeymoon report

Do you actually care how my recent honeymoon in Florida went? Probably not. After all, this is a Cyclone site. But listen, this is how I roll. I chronicle pretty much all of my experiences in life so I thought Iíd post this as Iím sure a slew of ďWilliams, how was the honeymoon?Ē questions will be on the way in this weekís mailbag or what not. Feel free to do that on Wednesday too but here are some notes I took on the trip. While writing this, I am somewhere between Fort Myers and Dallas waaaaay up in the air.

Later in the week, Iíll also be posting some pictures of the beautiful condo that we stayed in as well. The woman who owns this place is a Des Moines native and I encourage all of you to keep it in mind as a potential vacation destination.

We went to Sanibel Island, Fla. I can honestly write that it was the best vacation Iíve ever taken. That whole area of Florida is sort of an untapped place as far as tourism goes. I sometimes felt like I was out in the middle of nowhere, which we loved. You truly get that deserted island sort of feel, which I think is awesome.

Here are a few random notes about the trip.

- The highlight of our trip was easily a sunset sail that we took last Thursday. I found this random guy online who takes people out on his sailboat to watch the sunset over the Gulf of Mexico for nearly three hours. It sounded like a great idea at the time. That was until we got out onto this boat with four total strangers. Our minds then started to wander and we got nervous for a few minutes, but then calmed down. The captain, Dan, was a younger guy who seemed pretty cool. He had two retired friends with us on the boat. One was a former sailor who swore that he still ďhad it.Ē After two or three close calls, he was quick to turn the boat back over to Captain Dan. (For the record, it was extremely hard not to refer to him as Lieutenant Dan from Forrest Gump. Letís be honest though, how many times do you think heís heard that one?) Then, there was this character named Alex on the boat with us. Iíve never met anybody like this hack in my life. We were about five Heinekenís deep when Alex started telling us that he was Captain Danís neighbor. By neighbor, he meant that their boats were docked next to each other at the local marina. You see, Alex lives in his sailboat. For about a half hour, this extremely tanned alcoholic bragged about how he doesnít have to pay taxes because he lives on his boat. I think thatíd be a pretty cool life, for about two weeks you know? There was a time in my life where I would have envied that man. Not anymore. Alex did teach me one really cool thing though. Look up the artist Michael McCloud on IíTunes. We listened to this guyís music out on the gulf for hours that night and he is phenomenal. Maybe it was just the atmosphere. I donít know. Iím going to purchase a CD of his though.

- Iíve never eaten so much seafood in my life. Iíll be belching scallops for the next month. Ashley doesnít eat seafood. Weíll go to these seafood joints where she constantly orders chicken or a cheeseburger.

- For three straight days, we traveled north to Captiva Island to hang out at the beach. These beaches were awesome. White sand, clear water and not many people. This kind of became our special spot. One day, there were a handful of men fishing from the shore. We didnít think much of it, until we came back later that same night to watch the sunset over the gulf. We wanted somebody to take a picture of us with the beautiful scenery in the background. I asked one of the fishermen to do so. He was glad to help out and an extremely nice guy. Iím known back home for emptying out the local farm ponds with my fishing skills so with that in mind, I struck up a conversation with this group of men, specifically one who was wearing an Illinois t-shirt. I've seen tanned people in my life, but it was nothing like this. This guy had that tan of all tans. He was the tannest man alive.

Hereís how this talk went, with my thoughts at the time in parenthesis.

CW: What kind of a day have you guys had?

Fisherman: Not too bad. We just threw a seven-foot shark back and let me tell you, that son of a ***** was full of teeth. (What a conversation starter.)

CW: (With a pale look on my face) Wow, thatís pretty cool. (At this point, Ashley was ready to head back to our Ames apartment.) A seven foot shark huh?

Fisherman: Yep. We caught a five-footer and a three-footer earlier today. Weíre going to throw them on the grill later on tonight. (Delicious)

CW: Sweet. Well, see you later.

This affected Ashley a lot more than it did me. Hereís how I look at shark attacks. If a shark ever eats me, it means that God REALLY needs me up in heaven. Do you know what I mean? Millions of people swim in oceans annually and a tiny little spec of that population is bothered by this ďproblem.Ē If I am unlucky enough to be eaten by a shark, then it is probably my time to go.

- On our last night down in Florida, we decided to leave the friendly confines of Sanibel to invade Fort Meyers Beach, about 10 miles away. Iíd compare Sanibel to living in my hometown of Clarinda. You can leave your car unlocked. While at the beach, feel free to leave your bags unattended while taking a walk. Nobody will touch them. It is a very comfortable place that is perfect for a vacation. Then, thereís Fort Myers Beach, which is eerily similar to attending a Godsmack concert back in 2002. There are some interesting cats walking around Fort Myers Beach on a Friday night in May. A few years ago, I thought that I lived a protected life as a child. Then, I started dating Ash. My lovely wife is afraid of her own shadow it seems like. You should have seen her guarding her purse during our walk around the pier. It was a riot. I actually saw guy wearing a light pink bandana and no shirt (he had giant gut with a healthy supply of chest hair). To top things off, he was wearing jean shorts over his extremely wet swim trunks. He winked at me. We then jumped into our rented Ford Focus and drove back to paradise.

- Spray sunscreen sucks. Stick to the lotion. With those stupid spray cans, you have no idea what portion of your body is actually being covered. Ash is a fan of the spray but after seeing the stripes of sunburn on her new husbandís body, she quickly realized why I am so passionate about this topic.

- I want your take on this one Fanatics. Ash and I have been arguing about it for a few days. One day when we were at the beach, there was this younger guy, Iíd say between the ages of 18 and 22, sitting a lawn chair. I noticed that he was awfully active in the game of shelling. Ash and I decided to go for a walk and upon returning, we saw that he had created a very large heart, with shells, in the middle of the beach. I found this odd and immediately began to poke fun at him. This wasnít too his face of course. Ash thinks that he did this to take a picture of it and send it to a girlfriend back home. My theory is that this guy just had a passion for hearts and seashells. What do you think?

- The coolest store that I saw on the trip was a place called ďShe Sells Sea Shells.Ē Try saying that five times. All week long, Iíd point at women and say to Ashley, ďdo you think she sells sea shells?Ē The first few times she laughed. After that, my bride was not amused.

Thanks to all of you Cyclone Fanatics for the kind wedding wishes you handed out to me over the last few weeks. Your support has been amazing. I honestly feel like you all are my extremely large online family and I look forward to getting to getting to know all of you better in the future.

May 15, 2010 was really the best day of my life. All of the stress leading up to a wedding is a pain, but when it is all over, it is worth it. I had a great time and the Page County Fairgrounds were a rockiní the night of the Williams wedding.

You will all be happy to hear that the Iowa State fight song was played at least five times throughout the night. Also, when I had the opportunity to remove my wifeís garter at the reception, it was all Cyclones. No kidding. Cy was on it. The logo was on it. It was sweet.

My best man and former Cyclone linebacker Adam Carper was the recipient of this piece of clothing. No pressure buddy.

Thatís about all I have for you all right now. It is good to be back and Iím really to get back to work. My Cyclone sports battery has been fully charged so keep checking out CF and please, tell your friends. Also, feel free to PM me with any and all story ideas you might have for the summer months.

Sincerely,
    Chris

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 507
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation First Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 20

Re: Williams Blog: The honeymoon report

You missed quite a bit while you were gone. You better start catching up!!

Publisher
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Haverhill View Post
    You missed quite a bit while you were gone. You better start catching up!!
    Tell me about it! You should have seen my cell phone when I decided to turn it on last Thursday. It's okay...I am up to the challenge.

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 8

Welcome back! It sounds like you had a great honeymoon.

My personal take on the seashell heart guy is that he probably does those, takes pics and then sells them for like $10 each to sappy tourists. But I'm a cynic like that.

Publisher
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    Welcome back! It sounds like you had a great honeymoon.

My personal take on the seashell heart guy is that he probably does those, takes pics and then sells them for like $10 each to sappy tourists. But I'm a cynic like that.
    I like your attitude. But I find it hard to believe that this youngster has that much vision...maybe I'm wrong...

Addict
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 230
    Given: 97

Have the same situation with the seafood and my fiance C-Willy. Glad I'm not the only one!
    Welcome home to warmer weather and the home of the CyHawk!

Legend
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 416
    Given: 202

Sounds like you had a blast!
    I loved the conversation you had with the fisherman catching sharks, it really reminded me of this:
    "Hey guys, big gulps huh???"
    "Welp.. See ya later!"

When Prepared, Fear No One.

Pro
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 878
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 18

[
    Chris[/QUOTE]

my first guess was that he wanted to take a picture for his girlfriend... :) sorry chris, i think ash is right on this one...

All-Star
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,423
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    I like your attitude. But I find it hard to believe that this youngster has that much vision...maybe I'm wrong...
    The American Dream, Chris. He starts with seashells, then does photos of custom writing in the sand. Next thing you know he's on a reality show with Trump and hawking his wares on QVC.

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 108

I got married May 15th, 2001 on an island. I'll be expecting an anniversary present next year

Publisher
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post
    The American Dream, Chris. He starts with seashells, then does photos of custom writing in the sand. Next thing you know he's on a reality show with Trump and hawking his wares on QVC.
    LOL.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 110
    Given: 22

Are you gonna be a dad 9 months from now?

Publisher
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    I better not be. She has a whole year of vet school left. A little CW running around would make things awfully difficult.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 19

Didn't read.

I'll just wait to see the movie.

Pro
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 38

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    It does happen, trust me I know from experience.