Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

Is it illegal to give a cop the bird?

Not that I did this or anything but me and a couple of friends were talking..is it illegal to flip a cop off?

Pro
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Is it illegal to give a cop the bird?

When I see them hiding in different places trying to catch speeders, I always ever so slightly consider flicking them off and then thinking about the consequences. Always wondered what would happen.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 390
    Given: 801

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 889
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 79
    Given: 184

This guy I know, certainly not me, did it once to an Ames police officer. I would highly recommend refraining from doing it. Apparently they do not take it well.

Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

It depends on the situation. It could be considered as road rage which officers do have the right to pull over and ticket for road rage. If you are walking down the street, no, there is normally no law; however, some locations have laws about profanity and you could get caught on a obscure law. Long story, there are no special law protecting cops from being flipped off, but that doesn't mean you can't get in trouble for it.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 381
    Given: 168

I once called the Ames PD to report someone rolling thru a stop sign and continuing on at about midnight on Main St, it was a cop car. I asked them to have the supervising officer call me back and explain to me why this happened and if he tolerates it.
    Well obviously that officer in the car could hear someone tell him on the radio what happened and that I called into the station. The cop car came back to the intersection from the other street and he came to a huge definite stop and just looked at me and stared me down for quite a while. I didn't flinch but after he left I figured I better get home before I get accused of something.
    I got the phone call from the supervising officer at 4:30 and he told me the officer in the car told him that he stopped. I explained to him the situation again that I saw. The officer asked how much I had to drink and if I was out all night. I told him it didn't ******* matter and what that has to do with this? He said I sounded intoxicated. I gave him the time this happened, intersection, which way the cop was heading, the car number, and that he came back around the block to "intimidate" me. The officer on the phone couldn't respond to any of that and told me if I wanted to file a report it wouldn't amount to anything.
    I wouldn't expect anything of the less.

Last edited by Angie; 05-23-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CloneState1028 View Post
    When I see them hiding in different places trying to catch speeders, I always ever so slightly consider flicking them off and then thinking about the consequences. Always wondered what would happen.
    I don't understand the hatred people have toward cops. There was a bad crash in Ankeny, just a few weeks ago, that killed two kids because someone was speeding. This is why we have speed limits and why we have cops to enforce those limits.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,413
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39

Quote Originally Posted by johnpkelly81 View Post
    I once called the Ames PD to report someone rolling thru a stop sign and continuing on at about midnight on Main St, it was a cop car. I asked them to have the supervising officer call me back and explain to me why this happened and if he tolerates it.
    Well obviously that officer in the car could hear someone tell him on the radio what happened and that I called into the station. The cop car came back to the intersection from the other street and he came to a huge definite stop and just looked at me and stared me down for quite a while. I didn't flinch but after he left I figured I better get home before I get accused of something.
    I got the phone call from the supervising officer at 4:30 and he told me the officer in the car told him that he stopped. I explained to him the situation again that I saw. The officer asked how much I had to drink and if I was out all night. I told him it didn't ******* matter and what that has to do with this? He said I sounded intoxicated. I gave him the time this happened, intersection, which way the cop was heading, the car number, and that he came back around the block to "intimidate" me. The officer on the phone couldn't respond to any of that and told me if I wanted to file a report it wouldn't amount to anything.
    I wouldn't expect anything of the less.
    You couldn't see some dumb college kids just calling the cops and making up a story like that? If I were the guys taking the call, I'd take it with a huge grain of salt.

I mean really, what are the odds that a call to the police station at midnight in a college town about a a cop rolling through a stop sign is actually legitimate? From his point of view, the most likely scenario is a prank at that point. The fact that you got beligerent and started cursing him when he was trying to investigate it just adds more evidence that it was a prank (which I know it wasn't).

Last edited by Angie; 05-23-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 69

Illegal? No. Stupid? Yes.

"That's as loud as I've heard a basketball arena in my life!" - Reid Gettys 12/13/2013

"Knowledge is good." - Emil Faber

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clone52 View Post
    I mean really, what are the odds that a call to the police station at midnight in a college town about a a cop rolling through a stop sign is actually legitimate? From his point of view, the most likely scenario is a prank at that point. The fact that you got beligerent and started cursing him when he was trying to investigate it just adds more evidence that it was a prank (which I know it wasn't).
    What are the odds? Pretty low if you can give an intersection, time, direction, etc. of where the cop was at and then have them come and stare you down 2 minutes later. The officer in charge that was on the phone with me was the one that told me the officer in the car could hear me call it into the station, so that made me more mad when I knew that he came and stared me down.
    And if you know it wasn't a prank, shouldn't that make you not trust law enforcement not for running the stop sign so much but more so that the officer in the car lied to his superior?
    Sorry it really doesn't tie into the OP's original point but I've got very strong dislike for something I would get a ticket for and they don't.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I'll give my input on the thread instead of my sidetrack story. I would think that flipping the bird might give the police a reason to really look at your car-registration, tail lights, license plate lights, etc. I just wouldn't want to get a good "look down" of my vehicle.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 146

Always been tempted to flip the bird.

I've been pulled over before for a burned out license plate light.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by RING4CY View Post
    Always been tempted to flip the bird.

I've been pulled over before for a burned out license plate light.
    I've also been pulled over for a tag light out in a vehicle owned by my brother in law who is a deputy. Cops get a lot of OWI's that way, but I can guarantee that you didn't get a ticket. Did you know that the light was out? Him pulling you over may have been what alerted you to the light being burnt out, if not it served as a nice reminder to get it fixed.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 146

Quote Originally Posted by jaretac View Post
    I've also been pulled over for a tag light out in a vehicle owned by my brother in law who is a deputy. Cops get a lot of OWI's that way, but I can guarantee that you didn't get a ticket. Did you know that the light was out? Him pulling you over may have been what alerted you to the light being burnt out, if not it served as a nice reminder to get it fixed.
    Could definitely tell afterwards he was looking for a "reason" to pull me over. Pulled me over right outside the dorms (at NIACC in Mason City) at 12:30 a.m. on a Tuesday night/Wednesday morning. Whenever he was saying something to me he would flash his flashlight in my face and when I would respond, he would be using his light to look in my backseat.

With all of the empty chip bags and donut boxes I had thrown back there, I'm sure he was wondering if I had the munchies.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,413
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 39

Quote Originally Posted by johnpkelly81 View Post
    What are the odds? Pretty low if you can give an intersection, time, direction, etc. of where the cop was at and then have them come and stare you down 2 minutes later. The officer in charge that was on the phone with me was the one that told me the officer in the car could hear me call it into the station, so that made me more mad when I knew that he came and stared me down.
    And if you know it wasn't a prank, shouldn't that make you not trust law enforcement not for running the stop sign so much but more so that the officer in the car lied to his superior?
    Sorry it really doesn't tie into the OP's original point but I've got very strong dislike for something I would get a ticket for and they don't.
    Its not like you had any proof. How does the cop that got called know its not a prank? A college kid see's a cop stop at a stop sign, decides to have some fun and call and make up a story. Not that I think thats what happened, but I could see where the supervising cop could think that.