Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

why mcdermott was a bad fit

some thoughts i had as to why mcdermott didnt work out.

when ur at UNI or Creighton you are recruiting kids based on there high school bball skills and what they have done in the high school level.. most kids who play strictly or mostly high school ball will run a more strict offense with more set plays.. thats how high school ball works...

when ur recruiting at Iowa state you have to look to the better more athletic players who are the ones that play mostly AAU ball. when playing AAU ball you run mostly a motion offense....

In a motion offense most of the cuts involve someone cutting an moving away from the ball to create open driving lanes.. in set play offense.. you see more screens that bring someone to the ball...

how many times did we see Gilstrap try to drive the lane and end up running into several players?? a lot from what i can remember... He was used to AAU and motion offense. so now you want these kids to remember a hundred plays and be effecient at them?? when they have never really done it before... thats why i believe that MCD. system didnt and wouldnt work at this level.. it will however work in the MVC where the guards are as willing to penetrate one on one....

would love to hear or read any thoughts on this

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 43

Re: why mcdermott was a bad fit

He was a bad fit because he didn't want to "play the game" on the recruiting trail IMO. It's very difficult to compete at this level without doing that. I don't think it's an accident we had an unusual amount of transfers, guys that weren't Big 12 caliber, etc.

It was a bad fit all the way around. But I'll wait for Perrault to weigh in since his opinion is what really matters.. ;)

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post
    He was a bad fit because he didn't want to "play the game" on the recruiting trail IMO. It's very difficult to compete at this level without doing that. I don't think it's an accident we had an unusual amount of transfers, guys that weren't Big 12 caliber, etc.

It was a bad fit all the way around. But I'll wait for Perrault to weigh in since his opinion is what really matters.. ;)
    ok first of all... i said on another thread that if we want to start asking for resumes on people then non of us count!!... and my post here is why i think that McDermotts system didnt work here.. i think u have to recruit a kid who is used to playing a motion type system and then u want them to run set plays.. and that is a very difficult adjustment.. thats why i thought it was a bad fit

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 160
    Given: 79

Quote Originally Posted by Drive4cy View Post

I don't think the caliper of player that he got is really the problem. The problem is that no one wanted to stay. Look at the quality of some of the players that have left and what they have done since leaving. you could make a much better team out of the guys that left than the guys that stayed, and that is the problem, period.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 55.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,864
    Given: 1,598

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    I don't think the caliper of player that he got is really the problem. The problem is that no one wanted to stay. Look at the quality of some of the players that have left and what they have done since leaving. you could make a much better team out of the guys that left than the guys that stayed, and that is the problem, period.
    That was a pretty key point. If no one wants to play for the coach (and our departures and inconsistent efforts point that way), then the problem is just going to keep happening and happening.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 98
    Given: 102

At UNI, McDermott was coaching players who were there because they wanted to get a free education and play the game they love.

At ISU, McDermott was coaching players who all think they can play at the next level and get paid to do it. He couldn't relate to that type of player.

The end.

Rookie
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 749
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    I'm uncertain about which type of caliper you are talking about exactly. Please clarify so I can interpret your post.

Do you mean this kind?

or this kind?

Thanks

st8

I think McD was great, He accomplished so many things during his time in ames... off the court that is

GMac – What Could Have Been… Wide Right & Natty Light

st8

Quote Originally Posted by Clone1450 View Post
    I'm uncertain about which type of caliper you are talking about exactly. Please clarify so I can interpret your post.

Do you mean this kind?

or this kind?

Thanks
    I believe he meant "cowper", like the gland?

Rookie
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 400
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

McDermott assessed the talent of centers & forwards, the position he played himself, very well. W. Johnson, Brackins, Gilstrap, Dendy & Hamilton would play at any D-1 program. His guard recruitment was his downfall. Diante and the German were his two top guard recruits and nothing special. D-1 is all about recruiting and, obviously, he had the recurring issue of keeping them here once they got here.

Starter
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    At UNI, McDermott was coaching players who were there because they wanted to get a free education and play the game they love.

At ISU, McDermott was coaching players who all think they can play at the next level and get paid to do it. He couldn't relate to that type of player.

The end.
    Right! GMac never got his players together as a team at ISU. Jacobsen at UNI, and Stevens at Butler do this very well.

Addict
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by Clone1450 View Post

Do you mean this kind?

or this kind?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by st8 View Post
    I believe he meant "cowper", like the gland?
    Sure he didn't mean caterpillar, like they might turn into basketball butterflies?

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,355
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 73

I read somewhere in the Register that McDermott told Sean Keeler (ya I know) that and I paraphrase "I'm still the same coach that I was at UNI." Ya so that is a problem. We hired him to win like he did at UNI but you can't run that type of system with players playing AAU ball most of their lives. Good post by the op.

Starter
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 812
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Strict Offense? Set Plays?

That statement might have been true in year 1, but in watching ISU's offense the last couple years our offense was basically the high ball screen with Garrett & Brackins. IMO it didn't fit Garrett's skills because he isn't a PG who breaks down a defense with his dribble.

Sure ISU might have been better if GMAC brought in better recruits, but IMO we had the talent to be an 8-9 win team in Big 12 play the last couple years if Wesley had stayed.

GMAC didn't succeed because he couldn't keep kids in Ames and the kids he did keep, he couldn't motivate. Tom Izzo did an interview after they beat UNI and he commented that Jacobson was successful because his kids played hard for him. Izzo said that's about 50% of coaching.

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 83
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post

The end.
    No more phone calls please, I believe we have a winner.