Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 88
    Given: 30

Moving to Long Island - Looking for advice from Fanatics

Are any Fanatics out there familiar with Long Island? In particular, Nassau and Suffolk county? My family is going to be relocating from Phoenix to the NYC area this summer. We've pretty much focused our search for a new home on Long Island since my wife will be working at JFK with a possible position at LaGuardia in a year or two. My wife has been working in New York for the last 4 months, but we've been holding off on moving the whole fam until all of the kids are finished with school. We're not selling our home in Phoenix due to the fact that the housing market was hit so ridiculously hard here. We're going to try to rent it out for the forseeable future and see how much things rebound. Given that fact, we're obviously going to be renting in NYC.

Here's our situation, we've got 3 kids (entering 7th, 5th, and pre-K next fall) so obviously family friendly, good school district communities are a priority. So far my wife really likes Babylon. We haven't had much luck finding a suitable place to live there, but we are still looking. My wife found a decent looking place in Hauppauge that she is going to take a look at on Saturday. We found some rankings of the LI school districts recently that place Hauppauge in the top 10, even higher than Babylon. If anybody is familiar with the area, any input would be appreciated. Are we on the right track so far? If not, where should we be looking?

All-Star
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 35

Re: Moving to Long Island - Looking for advice from Fanatics

I've heard good things about Roslyn, but I don't really go east of JFK very often. We've considered moving that direction but I work in Manhattan and my wife teaches in Brooklyn.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 377

Ironic that you mention Babylon and Hauppauge - I'm originally from that general area (Born in Islip, lived the first few years of my life in Deer Park), and my family still lives out there.

I have aunts living in Deer Park (Babylon TWP), Dix Hills (Huntington TWP) and another aunt that lives in Nesconset (Smithtown TWP), all in Suffolk County. All are very nice, quiet, safe neighborhoods. Deer Park doesn't have the greatest schools but Dix Hills and Nesconset (couldn't tell you what the district is for them) is very good.

If you think the housing market is bad in Phoenix, it's even worse on Long Island. I remember hearing a report a couple of years ago that most properties are overvalued by at least 40%. A simple house that would cost you in the neighborhood of $150,000 in Iowa would cost easily in excess of $500,000 in Long Island. It's not that the homes are worth that much, it's the land. So purchasing a home on Long Island isn't going to be easy whatsoever.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 609
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Here are some of the nice folks you may encounter:

Get Off Our Island

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 18

If you are looking at Amittyville and find a really big, really nice looking old colonial with dock access that is really reasonably (even under) priced. Do not do it. Trust me.

RIP Janice
    b. April 2012 d. April 2012
    9 posts
    May perpetual light shine upon him.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 427
    Given: 303

So how much is rent on the island these days?

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 547
    Given: 377

Quote Originally Posted by delt4cy View Post
    Here are some of the nice folks you may encounter:

Get Off Our Island
    It would be offensive if it wasn't so totally true! Both of my cousins on my mom's side have at one time or another brought guidos home (before I really knew what the term meant), and the thought running through my head always was "could these guys be any more tool-like?" Being half Italian and from Long Island, whenever I visit family in New York or on a work trip in New Jersey, I always have to protect my inner guido from coming out. Then again, I work for a living and don't live in my parents' basement - I'm already ahead of the game...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 888
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Ironic that you mention Babylon and Hauppauge - I'm originally from that general area (Born in Islip, lived the first few years of my life in Deer Park), and my family still lives out there.

I have aunts living in Deer Park (Babylon TWP), Dix Hills (Huntington TWP) and another aunt that lives in Nesconset (Smithtown TWP), all in Suffolk County. All are very nice, quiet, safe neighborhoods. Deer Park doesn't have the greatest schools but Dix Hills and Nesconset (couldn't tell you what the district is for them) is very good.

If you think the housing market is bad in Phoenix, it's even worse on Long Island. I remember hearing a report a couple of years ago that most properties are overvalued by at least 40%. A simple house that would cost you in the neighborhood of $150,000 in Iowa would cost easily in excess of $500,000 in Long Island. It's not that the homes are worth that much, it's the land. So purchasing a home on Long Island isn't going to be easy whatsoever.
    Sounds like a nice place to live...

No more Rhyming, I mean it.... Anybody want a Peanut?