Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Hawaii

Wife and I are taking an 8 day vacation to Hawaii, staying on Oahu (no island hopping since the flight and resort are all on miles). Who's got tips on places to go, see, eat, do, etc?
    I'd love any and all info.

Thanks CFs!

Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

Addict
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,594
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 8

Re: Hawaii

I was there for about 1.5 days on my honeymoon after spending a week on Maui. Other than Pearl Harbor we didn't really think much of Honolulu since it was so "touristy" so don't have to much to say about what to do there. A good site for booking activities in advance that we used was: Hawaii Activities - Hawaii tours, Things to do in Hawaii, attractions, adventures, and activity planning. Usually get good prices on there and get a good idea what there is plus booking in advance you'll be sure you actually get to do the activity instead of going there and finding out it is booked or not available.

I'd go back to Maui in a heartbeat, so much more laid back and more local culture and things to do.

Go Cubs Go!

Prospect Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I'd recommend staying away from Waikiki as it's insanely crowded. I was on oahu for 7 days a year ago. Most of the time was spent on the beach. There are a lot of places you can take leasure hikes, Diamond Head, Makapu (NE corner of the island) and the 'pill boxes' over by kailua. If the wave forecast is promising I highly recommend a visit to the North Shore (sunset beach), the large waves are undescribable. Pearl Harbor may not be exciting but it is a must see if you're a proud American. (beware, masses of foreigners).

If you do head to the Waikiki district for drinks or shopping, park at the 'halekulani hotel' it is valet parking, but if you go inside and have a drink they'll comp the parking. A few drinks and a tip for parking, easier than trying to find a parking spot in that area. If I remember street parking was 1/2 hr max in that area, and not cheap.

I also went skydiving - AWESOME - Skydiving Hawaii's most exciting activity tandem Honolulu Oahu Waikiki

Other suggestions - visit the Dole pinapple farms,snorkle at Hanauma Bay.

Have fun

CH - '01 Alum

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 551
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 126
    Given: 305

DEFINITELY go to Hanauma Bay and go snorkeling. I did it with my parents when I was young and I still remember how much fun it was. If there is an overcast day and it's cloudy climb Diamonhead....

Other than that sit your *** on the beach.

Last edited by cyfan964; 05-20-2010 at 04:37 PM.
    Now that MBB is back, do we still have to pretend that WBB matters?

-acgclone

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 27

I would second hiking Diamond Head if you are in the area. It is a pretty easy hike and has some great views.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,338
    Given: 937

Not just Diamond Head, but also Mauna Loa Trail (I think that's what it's called).

There's also a good restaurant called Tiki's.

Pro
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 240
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 397
    Given: 106

Pearl Harbor is a must see. I thought the Polynesian Cultural Center was interesting, definitely a tourist trap but it was kind of cool. I also loved the north shore area, crazy waves when we were there. Pineapple farms were pretty cool too. If your a golfer there are some great courses there as well.

Like others have said avoid Waikiki area like the plague. Our hotel was there and we were only in that area to drink at the end of the day and sleep at night. Otherwise we went on day trips with the jeep we rented there. Mainly just found random beaches and hung out or tried to get lost on back roads and see what we could find.

Prospect
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I will second the suggestion to go snorkling at Hanauma Bay. My wife and I did this and still remember it as one of our favorite memories.

I would check out hotel reviews on Trip Advisor before booking a hotel, unless you already have a good recommendation. We did this before booking, and noticed so many medium-priced hotels that show up on an Orbitz / Expedia search had very bad reviews on Trip Advisor. I got the impression that there are a lot of hotels that are run-down on the inside (but not the outside) that cater to all of the tourists. I believe we stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki. It was clean, nice, and reasonably priced (this was in 2006) and located within walking distance (a mile or less) of Waikiki, the beach, etc.

Many people seem to feel that Maui is better than Oahu, but we have been to both and much preferred Oahu. It is kind of touristy, but that is part of the fun. There are plenty of nice restaurants, nite life, interesting street performers, etc. It didn't feel touristy in the sense of "lets sucker all of the visitors out of their cash with gimicky, cheap ploys".

We went to Nick's Fish Market for dinner one nite. I would avoid that place. e.g., They charge for every soda refill, food was bad and over-priced, wait staff seemed snotty, etc. We did eat at Tony Roma's Ribs and loved it. I know it is not "Hawaii'n" (i.e., sea food), but still was a great meal.

You must visit the Polyneasian Cultural Center for a day too. That place was funner than I had expected.

Climb Diamond Head if you can. There is also a hike you can take to visit a Waterfall in a park. I don't remember the name, but it was kind of neat.

If you rent a car - get a convertible. The weather is perfect for one. (Just remember, if you aren't use to one, check if the top is going to scrape against any overhead roof, branches, etc. before raising or lowering it.)

We didn't even get a chance to see Pearl Harbor before running out of time.

Last edited by cyclone_fan_1000; 05-20-2010 at 05:13 PM.
    cyclone_fan_1000

All-Star
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 92
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

These are all great comments. Thanks to all. As we get closer, I'm sure I'll have a greater idea of what we'll do. CFers always are the people to ask for a wide range of suggestions.
    Keep em coming.

Vitte, Dulcedo, Sipes

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,338
    Given: 937
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclone_fan_1000 View Post
    I will second the suggestion to go snorkling at Hanauma Bay. My wife and I did this and still remember it as one of our favorite memories.

I would check out hotel reviews on Trip Advisor before booking a hotel, unless you already have a good recommendation. We did this before booking, and noticed so many medium-priced hotels that show up on an Orbitz / Expedia search had very bad reviews on Trip Advisor. I got the impression that there are a lot of hotels that are run-down on the inside (but not the outside) that cater to all of the tourists. I believe we stayed at the Outrigger Waikiki. It was clean, nice, and reasonably priced and located within walking distance (a mile or less) of Waikiki, the beach, etc.

Many people seem to feel that Maui is better than Oahu, but we have been to both and much preferred Oahu. It is kind of touristy, but that is part of the fun. There is plenty of nice restaurants, nite life, interesting street performers, etc. It didn't feel touristy in the sense of "lets sucker all of the visitors out of their cash with gimicky, cheap ploys".

We went to Nick's Fish Market for dinner one nite. I would avoid that place. e.g., They charge for every soda refill, food was bad and over-priced, wait staff seemed snotty, etc. We did eat at Tony Roma's Ribs and loved it. I know it is not "Hawaii'n" (i.e., sea food), but still was a great meal.

You must visit the Polyneasian Cultural Center for a day too. That place was funner than I had expected.

Climb Diamond Head if you can. There is also a hike you can take to visit a Waterfall in a park. I don't remember the name, but it was kind of neat.

If you rent a car - get a convertible. The weather is perfect for one. (Just remember, if you aren't use to one, check if the top is going to scrape against any overhead roof, branches, etc. before raising or lowering it.)

We didn't even get a chance to see Pearl Harbor before running out of time.
    I think that's the trail I mentioned. It was absolutely gorgeous, although a tough climb if you're out of shape.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 279
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by isuarch80 View Post
    These are all great comments. Thanks to all. As we get closer, I'm sure I'll have a greater idea of what we'll do. CFers always are the people to ask for a wide range of suggestions.
    Keep em coming.
    On the north end of the island there is a Hilton property called Turtle Bay. It is amongst some smaller towns up there, but some "local" places to eat that are reasonably priced. Also, that's where the "BONZAI PIPELINE" is where the huge waves attract the top surfers in the world. Depending on when you go, you can google when the action up there is hot and heavy.

The hotel is very cool place to stay as well. Have fun

I AM SO PROUD....
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Wife and I honeymooned there about 3 years ago.......Pearl Harbor is awesome, Diamondhead has some great scenic views, find out if your hotel books for Germaine's Luau, had a great time the night we did that (hint.....buy a glass in the souvineur shop and get cheaper drinks....oh and tip the bartender big right away and keep going to the same one, they will hook you up!!). Also find somewhere that has Longboard beer.....very good beer, wish I could find it here!!! Have Fun!!!

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I think that's the trail I mentioned. It was absolutely gorgeous, although a tough climb if you're out of shape.
    Yes - I bet we hiked the same trail to the waterfall.

To the OP: I remember it being kind of muddy / slippery so wear shoes with good traction that you don't mind getting mud all over.

cyclone_fan_1000

Pro
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 877
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 112
    Given: 161

If you rent a convertible, watch what you store in the trunk when at the beach. The natives can get in there in seconds.

Clone to the Bone with the up and coming IOWA STATE.

Prospect
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CTTB78 View Post
    If you rent a convertible, watch what you store in the trunk when at the beach. The natives can get in there in seconds.
    Good point. I believe that Hanauma Bay has lockers you can rent to store your camera, wallet, etc. while snorkeling so that you don't have to leave valuables in the car.

cyclone_fan_1000